Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we are finally going to see the final product called the Octane. The first water cooled Victory and almost certainly not the last.

Should be interesting at the very least especially after seeing what 35 different dealers did with the Scout. Lots-O-Potential.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do I trade the Kingpin as soon as 1 hits the floor.... or wait a year for bugs to be worked out ??????????

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'm getting one.........

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Here we go.......again........

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I trade the Kingpin as soon as 1 hits the floor.... or wait a year for bugs to be worked out ??????????
Meh. You already have a top of the line bike; why would you be in a rush to trade it in.

Much better to add to the stable... eh. :)

You have one of the last years of the KP. Doesn't it have the 106 neutral assist motors? Sure sounds like a keeper to me.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
First year model of anything make me cringe. I have owned to cages that were first year models. Neither was particularly bad per-say. But they had more glitches than models I have had that were out for awhile. But its your $$
Emissions drive what manufactures produce for the most part. They have to raise eng temps to burn emissions, so then they have to water cool to make it ride-able.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Same engine design as the Scout so first year+ has already gone by.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have my mind a second bike in the next few years. I have an open mind as to brand but have specific specs in mind: 1. smaller sized, naked 2. no chain 3. mag rims 4. powerful 5. sport oriented 6. reasonably priced

I have a feeling the Octane is going to ding all these points.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have my mind a second bike in the next few years. I have an open mind as to brand but have specific specs in mind: 1. smaller sized, naked 2. no chain 3. mag rims 4. powerful 5. sport oriented 6. reasonably priced

I have a feeling the Octane is going to ding all these points.
I have a feeling you're right. I think it and the Scout will be highly desirable and highly customizable. I'm mildly surprised at how fast the aftermarket has been developing things for the Indian line. Much much faster than the Victory line. The X bikes really got things revved up for Victory methinks.

I wonder how many and what parts will work on both the Scout and the Octane such as exhaust systems. There has already been quite a lot of development in that area for the Scout. I wish I were in a position to buy another bike. I too have the feeling I'm gonna want a new Octane. Can't wait to test ride one.

I am concerned about one thing though. Polaris/Indian cheaped out on some things with the Scout such as the battery and shocks. Just about everyone is having to replace those items prematurely due to failure or just plain bad design. I think there are a couple other trouble spots too that don't come to mind right now so a wise shopper will be looking to see if these issues are taken care of on the Octane.

One other thing just came to mind. I'm a hefty guy. When I rode the Scout I felt like I sat on top of it rather than in it if you know what I mean. That could probably have been taken care of with mini apes and maybe a different feeling seat with back rest. Loved the quickness and power of it. I would like to hear/ride one with some better/louder exhausts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't wait to see it. Very exciting and the fact that they had 3 proto types shows they may make several bikes off this platform.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have a feeling you're right. I think it and the Scout will be highly desirable and highly customizable. I'm mildly surprised at how fast the aftermarket has been developing things for the Indian line. Much much faster than the Victory line. The X bikes really got things revved up for Victory methinks.

I wonder how many and what parts will work on both the Scout and the Octane such as exhaust systems. There has already been quite a lot of development in that area for the Scout. I wish I were in a position to buy another bike. I too have the feeling I'm gonna want a new Octane. Can't wait to test ride one.

I am concerned about one thing though. Polaris/Indian cheaped out on some things with the Scout such as the battery and shocks. Just about everyone is having to replace those items prematurely due to failure or just plain bad design. I think there are a couple other trouble spots too that don't come to mind right now so a wise shopper will be looking to see if these issues are taken care of on the Octane.

One other thing just came to mind. I'm a hefty guy. When I rode the Scout I felt like I sat on top of it rather than in it if you know what I mean. That could probably have been taken care of with mini apes and maybe a different feeling seat with back rest. Loved the quickness and power of it. I would like to hear/ride one with some better/louder exhausts.
As a second bike, I'd have to keep it pretty much "as is" and I'd want it to be right as delivered. The Scout is a nice machine, but like you I don't like the "sitting on it" feel and the bike has got a weak suspension with a powerful engine, its built for power cruising and is probably not suited to what I'm looking for.
I suspect the Octaine will be more powerful than the Scout and being a "true sport bike", it has to be better suspended and handling. I have no doubt Polaris can handle the engineering, just hoping the implementation is right.... All remains to be seen :) and I can't wait.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
"True sport bike"? Define that please because we've seen nothing with the concept bikes Ignition or Combustion that would lead one to believe they're doing so.

A "power cruiser" type bike is in our future.
Sorry jm, but I don't think so. Vic doesn't need another "power cruiser" in its line up. We are going to see the Octane go for right the throat of the 1200cc street fighter, naked sport bike class. I hope :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry jm, but I don't think so. Vic doesn't need another "power cruiser" in its line up. We are going to see the Octane go for right the throat of the 1200cc street fighter, naked sport bike class. I hope :)
So you believe they're targeting KTM 1290 Super Duke, Ducati Monster 1200R, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000R, etc. etc.?

Not a chance.

This will be a low seat, limited suspension, feet forward, stoplight to stoplight power cruiser.

I HOPE I'm wrong but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So you believe they're targeting KTM 1290 Super Duke, Ducati Monster 1200R, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000R, etc. etc.?
I am hoping.....but those are the Super-naked class. I was thinking more like the BMW R1200R and the like.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I'd like to see the scout motor nestled in this exact looking setup, or something with a similar pitbull stance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
800 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
It will almost certainly be most like this one.

Attachments

Reactions: Krisd

·
Registered
566 Posts
And, if you do a side-by-side comparison between it and the Scout, the first thing I notice is that the Victory engineers fixed the rear suspension.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 200 Posts