Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the belt adjusted and tension set but I will get a very odd noise at times. It doesn't make it under power or when off the throttle, but when in between. Like when you just starting to gas or letting off almost like a sweet spot. I can hear it but cant figure out if its from the rear or front end. It doesn't sound like a belt chirp but it does have a rubber squawk kind of noise. Any ideas?? Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh its a 2012 XCT with 21,000 on it will the breaks getting low or a wheel bearing going make a none metal type noise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Did the noise start AFTER the belt adjustment or was it there before adjusting ?

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just had the belt adjusted and tension set but I will get a very odd noise at times. It doesn't make it under power or when off the throttle, but when in between. Like when you just starting to gas or letting off almost like a sweet spot. I can hear it but cant figure out if its from the rear or front end. It doesn't sound like a belt chirp but it does have a rubber squawk kind of noise. Any ideas?? Thanks
So it doesn't do it when on the gas and it doesn't do it when off the gas........you are confused.

If it sounds like a whirring sound, could be you need to air up your shock as it's rubbing something (look for marks on the belt) or if the bike was recently washed, the belt itself can make a noise against the pulley. I've rubbed candle wax on the ribs of the belt to quiet that down.

·
13,262 Posts
maybe your saddle bag bolts are loose.

you have to be more specific about what sound you're hearing

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It made the noise prior and after the belt adjustment. It sounds something like a belt rubbing noise, I plan on washing the belt real good. Its just odd when it come like there a sweet spot or maybe evn though I'm in the throttle you cant hear it as well as say 30 or 40. its an odd one but at times it sounds like the front end? maybe my front tire is getting to the point it needs replacing??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it also didn't make that noise until after I just had a rear tire put on so now I'm wondering if might be there??

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'm willing to bet your belt is too tight , it may only be in certain spots on the pulley . (pulleys are not perfectly round , so you have tighter tension and more loose tension at any given time) When your belt is too tight it can make all kinds of strange sounds , especially when coasting at lower speeds , being under power helps mask the sound so it is less noticeable ....

Reactions: Luciferiad

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Also make sure your wheel alignment is correct, and in doing so you can eyeball the runout on pulley. Check for irregularities.

·
13,262 Posts
when you hear the sound pull in the clutch lever.

Noise stops its definitely the belt out of alignment

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
maybe your saddle bag bolts are loose.

you have to be more specific about what sound you're hearing
You know, that's not a bad thought. My bags are noisy as hell.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
You didn't say how long the sound lasted, if it was constant sound or intermittent short sounds.
I posted recently about an occasional, very short, sound coming from the lower back region and it was suggested it could be my brake pads 'squeak' strips letting me know I was close to replacement time. Honestly I haven't even looked to confirm that yet but it made a lot of sense and I suspect that's exactly what I'll find when I get in there and check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts