Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've own the bike (March 2011), I've heard of early model issues such as the odometer resetting. Well, it happened to me, TWICE. I was away during the Christmas holiday and my bike sat for about 2 weeks. I charged it up and the bike ran fine, except, I had 0 miles on it.

Well, I rode it 12 miles to work. 10 hours later, I tried to start it only to realize that my battery had drained again. I jump started it just so that I could get it home. AGAIN, the odometer reset back to 0.

Anyways, I got a new battery and all is fine. Plus, I got a battery tender for Christmas.

The only drawback is that I don't have anything to show that rode over 9000 miles in 9 months last year.

My advice, to new owners of the older V92, is change out your battery before it drains completely.

***Changing out the battery does not reset the odometer, but draining the battery will.***

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It shouldn't reset if you pull the battery. Like when I charged it up to ride it home, I pulled the battery to replace it. It kept my mileage from the trip.

It only reseted on me when I let the battery drain all the way down, twice.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Man you have a new bike. So the dealers can sell a used bike for new. Sounds like some kind of fluke thing.. Some engineer screwed up some where. Odometer doesn't read right because of power down. Never heard of this happening on a digital odometer before. Sounds like they forgot to put in a EPROM chip.

·
Registered
135 Posts
While I was rebuilding my bike last year, I had the odo disconnected for several months and it still kept its memory.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I mentioned earlier, the odometer only resetted after the battery drained itself. However, it did not reset when it was intentionally disconnected.

Regardless of the fluke, my bike still runs perfect and I love it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, my odometer did reset, so now my bike shows that I only have 200+ miles on it rather than 16,000+ miles.

In another thread on this forum, mrbill65 also mentioned that this happens on early Vic bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was actually pretty common. If the turn signals are orange this is an original odo. If they are green (well you wouldnt be having this issue). The earliest odo's had a tiny battery soldered to the board on the bottom of it. Moisture would erode the contacts. Once that happens the only thing keeping it's memory is the main battery. If you want a permanent fix you'll have to shell out $350 for a replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000 v92sc Odometer reset too

I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, my odometer did reset, so now my bike shows that I only have 200+ miles on it rather than 16,000+ miles.

In another thread on this forum, mrbill65 also mentioned that this happens on early Vic bikes.
I had the same problem. My battery drained and it reset my odometer (yes odometer).. I'm frustrated cuz it hurt the value of my bike especially when I want to resell it. It only has approximately 20k miles on it. :/

Matt
2000 v92sc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Victory doesn't sell the replacement anymore

This was actually pretty common. If the turn signals are orange this is an original odo. If they are green (well you wouldnt be having this issue). The earliest odo's had a tiny battery soldered to the board on the bottom of it. Moisture would erode the contacts. Once that happens the only thing keeping it's memory is the main battery. If you want a permanent fix you'll have to shell out $350 for a replacement.
Victory doesn't sell it anymore. :/

Matt
2000 v92sc

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Happen to me a week ago....

My advice, to new owners of the older V92, is change out your battery before it drains completely.

***Changing out the battery does not reset the odometer, but draining the battery will.***[/QUOTE]

I damaged my voltage regulator going over a monster speed bump which then caused my battery to drain. At first I didn't know what was wrong, but after realizing it was the regulator, and purchasing a new one, I placed a new battery and I went from a little over 3000 miles to about 1031. I bought the bike used so it made me wonder how many times this occurred.

Easy fix. I don't plan on selling this bike so its whatever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts