Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else here think it's a ripoff that cruiser parts are priced so much higher than comparable parts for other motorcycles? I replaced the clutch cable on my KLR recently for less than $20. Last weekend the clutch cable broke on my Vegas and it's $120. So about $100 of that is pure profit. I've noticed that virtually all cruiser parts and accessories are priced like this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thought HD charges a lot for their parts until I bought a Victory. Not only do the OEM parts cost a fortune, but most aftermarket accessories are very expensive too. I guess it has to do with the lower volume of parts being produced so it costs more per part, but the profit margins must be huge regardless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of the market. I know the marketing folks are looking at the disposable income of their customers and trying to get every penny of it they can.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Barnett stainless steel clutch cable-better than OEM $69
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=102-85-10003
You just have to shop around and I'll even buy consumable parts when I find a deal and shelve 'em-I've got more stock than a lot of dealers but when I need brake pads or spark plugs I don't have to go further than my garage.
Yuppir. If you have a bike in the shed and you don't have the shelves stocked up with stuff you can replace or add you are not doing them shelves or that bike justice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yuppir. If you have a bike in the shed and you don't have the shelves stocked up with stuff you can replace or add you are not doing them shelves or that bike justice.
I ordered that Barnett cable from J&P a few days ago. They have it for $78 in stock. Phatperformance.com was back ordered. I agree that you can shop around and get better prices than from the dealer. Even at $68 it's overpriced.

I definitely don't store spare parts at home. Rather than buy parts and let my money set on a shelf in my garage, I keep it working for me in my portfolio, then I use it as needed.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Something missing from this discussion is the dealer's need to make a profit. If they never make a profit, they will not be there when you need them. Based on my recent discussion with a dealer, they may sell about 25 Vics each year. Let's say they have been selling that many since Vic first started, 15 years back. That means the local total is only about 375 bikes. How many parts can be profitably stocked for such a small bike population? If they have the tiny margin that on line stores have, it won't even pay the utility bills. I hate to pay more than I should but these guys need to stay in business too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
07Vegas-the relatively small cost of these parts will not adversely effect our portfolios and with the rising cost of parts can be considered yet another investment-kind of like the old saying "don't wait to buy gold, buy gold and wait".
Oldman 47- the dealer's been missing from my equation for a long time-I'd support a decent one if I could find one-until then I take care of #1.

·
Registered
837 Posts
THIS IS MY #1 COMPLAINT OWNING A VIC!

You are correct, sir.

·
13,263 Posts
Stop It.
We are pioneers of the Victory motorcycles.
If your a facebook person go to victory and tell them about the out rage us prices. If there is 25 thousand of us willing to do this maybe they will bring there prices down. If you go to a even where the Vic guys are tell them but ask for the team leader don't waist your time with the guy that can't do nothing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, cruiser and Victory parts seem more expensive. But it's the same for all "powersports". Seems like everything for boats is 3 times the costs for a comparable part for a car.

That's why if you just drop your bike on it's side, you are really close to totalling it out based upon parts cost plus the inflated labor costs for working on motorcycles. (Depending on the damage.) My seat is $400 plus and passenger pillion is $400 plus. That's almost a grand for just my seats! (stock victory seats) Gas tank is well over $1000. Just bolts and nuts seem to cost over a $1 each.

And then why is motorcycle specific oil $10 bucks a quart when oil for cars is around $5 bucks a quart.

It's just overall more expensive for our "toys" in general.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A few years ago, I was removing the tank on my VTX when it slipped and I put a goose egg size dent in the tank. Cost to replace the tank was $1588, which is strange since the cost of the bike new was less than $8,000.:mad: True story! Ended up getting the dent fixed and a custom paint job on the bike for a grand.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im surprised that no one has pointed out that the KLR has been in production since 1987, and it is the best selling bike in its class. Which is why parts for it are so damn cheap - they are mass produced at far higher numbers than Victory parts are. Victory probably doesnt even manufacture the total number of bikes that just the KLR sells at on a yearly basis...

Supply and demand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im surprised that no one has pointed out that the KLR has been in production since 1987, and it is the best selling bike in its class. Which is why parts for it are so damn cheap - they are mass produced at far higher numbers than Victory parts are. Victory probably doesnt even manufacture the total number of bikes that just the KLR sells at on a yearly basis...

Supply and demand.
I guarantee that Victory does not make their own clutch cables. They may well be manufactured in smaller quantities, but they are still over priced by any standard. I used the KLR as an example because that is currently my other bike, but my GSXR 1000 that was the bike I traded for my Vegas was the same story. I bought a full set of braided stainless steel brake lines (two front, one rear) for $120 less than a year ago, and they were custom made for my bike because I had Convertibars installed and needed custom length lines.

Also, the clutch cable is just an example. Virtually all the parts that I've looked at for cruisers have a much higher margin than comparable parts for sportbikes and dual sports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts