Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today to pick up everything I needed to do an oil change on the bike. Stopped at my local Victory dealer to pick up a crush washer and surprisingly enough they don't have any in stock (that was sarcasm... they run so lean on inventory that it seems like most everything has to be ordered lol). Well they won't be getting any in until late next week.

I stopped into Napa and Pep Boy's looking for a replacement and everything they had was kind of close but not exact. I know I read somewhere, on here I believe, that there was a non OEM replacement but my search fu must be weak today and I did not find squat. Anyone help out and give me some info on exactly what I am looking for out there? I don't want to go into the store and pick up something close and then come home to find out it leaks.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think they need to be changed everytime you change oil maybe every other time. I know Harley always said to put a new o-ring on when you change the oils but I ran out one time and just put some thread sealant around the threads and on the o-ring and put it back in. No leaks. I am sure somebody knows who supplys the crush washers for Victorys probably get them a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I would have to call BS on the dealer. If they "always" change the crush washer during oil changes wouldn't the lack of washers make it impossible to do an oil change? I'm betting that the parts counter is saying they don't have the parts but in reality there is a bin with dozens of them in the service bay.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I believe they are 12 mm crush washers....how many you want?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've seen somewhere that someone mentioned if you take your old crush washer and heat it moderatly with a small propane torch it will re-expand and you can reuse it just like a new one. My bad, when I change my oil as long as the washer looks in good condition and not distorted or smashed I just reuse it without doing anything. Never have had a problem although I do use a torque wrench and torque it to spec.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I've seen somewhere that someone mentioned if you take your old crush washer and heat it moderatly with a small propane torch it will re-expand and you can reuse it just like a new one. My bad, when I change my oil as long as the washer looks in good condition and not distorted or smashed I just reuse it without doing anything. Never have had a problem although I do use a torque wrench and torque it to spec.
It is made of copper.....do not believe it will expand if heated. :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to call BS on the dealer. If they "always" change the crush washer during oil changes wouldn't the lack of washers make it impossible to do an oil change? I'm betting that the parts counter is saying they don't have the parts but in reality there is a bin with dozens of them in the service bay.
Nah... small shop and he even went looking to see if they had an oil change kit he could snag one out of.

·
13,026 Posts
You could swing by a honda or BMW dealer and see what they have.
After all were not the lone ranger when it comes to drain plug washers

·
Registered
22 Posts
copper washer

I put 20k on my kingpin and another 19k on my 2011 xc and change the oil about every 3k and I only change the washer about every 3rd. time.Never a problem just don't over tighten and keep a new on hand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bet your local Polaris quad dealer has them. My guess is they use the same one..You can search the part numbers on the parts schematics.

The dealers have no parst inventory because Victory makes them buy something like 20 bikes to become a dealer, leaves little money for part inventory. Just a more understanding presepective.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Take a torch and heat it up, good as new.
That's what I said and I got flamed for it. If it's an actual "crush" washer then this applies. If it's just a simple copper washer like everyone on here seems to imply then yes, it would do no good to heat it up.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
NAPA,AUTOZONE,ADVANCE AUTOPARTS. theyr all over. But like said before....no need to change them all the time or even every other time... mine is in since 2007 and no leaks .
+1 thumb up

·
Registered
659 Posts
I always do my own oil changes and have never changed a crush washer... 75,000+ miles on 2 wheels, 200,000+ on 4. Never had a leak at the drain bolt either.

Change the oil and filter, then go ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts