6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Spark plugs that are rated for the bike are good enough... anything else is marketing. Of course I tune my plugs... so call me old fashioned.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just stick with the stock dcpr6e, you won't need anything more than that. It's funny the Vic site doesn't say what there platinum plugs are, definitely not an NGK as they don't make a dcpr6eix (anymore?)...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
E3.36 is what I use in my Vegas 106 cubic motor, has good response, and good gas mileage.
View attachment 87665
Interesting plug choice. Was wondering the benefits over a DCPR6E NGK. I'm all for improvement if there actually is any.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Id just go with the NGKs myself, the really expensive ones are supposed to last a lot longer...as long as you don't drop them on the ground.
NGK are fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've run the E3.36 in my quads and there was noticeable difference between it and tbd recommended NGK plug. From my experience it actually helped a slightly rich main jet that I was running. Imo they do have a design that promotes a more complete burn.

·
Premium Member
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am asking coz a friend of mine delivered 4 engines brand new from Japan to a school for DYNO studies in the 90's, and 1 of the four had LESS then the other 3 who were very close anyway

First he put 100 Octane in the engine but this was not enough to reach the level of the other engines,

Then he bought the most expensive ( i think Iridium ) about 35 U$D per plug and then the engine passed the test so the school was happy... witnessed the testing and shipped to Arab or something like that

So if a more expensive plug on a Vic and 2 DYNO runs, then we can see if this would work for our bikes???

:D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Most engines actually run worse with anything other than stock plugs. In my opinion, stock plugs is something that should never be swapped out with something other than stock...especially when comparing to split fire type plugs.

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Remember this from Splitfire plugs?
Well, that would explain why I haven't seen Splitfires in such a long time. There are lots of fun gimmicks for increasing power/economy/responsiveness. I've tried a few of them over the years, I won't lie. But the older I got and the more I learned, the more I realized they were just gimmicks.

I have a friend on the other hand, who loved those gimmicks and still does. He ran Splitfires. He would by the little jumper chips for the MAF sensors in his cars. He would run 101 octane in his stock '88 Mustang 5.0 cuz he thought it made it go faster. Good source of comedy, that guy :ltr:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had a customer come into the shop with a Honda 4cyl with turbo. He's been chasing a bad misfire and gave up and brought it to the pros. He had replaced the spark plug wires, cap and rotor. I took it for a test drive and could tell right off the bat that the problem was spark related. Ran fine at an idle but missed under load and even worse under a real heavy load. I pulled a plug out and found newly installed split fire type of plug in it. I told him I suspect his plugs and I recommend installing OE plugs. He went on and on about how good those plugs are, how expensive they are and that I'm wrong, etc. I told him if I'm wrong there's no charge. I installed oem plugs and it ran like a top, didn't even think about missing. I gave him his special plugs back and told him I'd recommend putting them in the waste basket on the way out. The guy was mad but not at me, probably at himself for being dooped into buying gimmick plugs.

Morale of the story is you can't go wrong with oem plugs. They are plenty good enough for whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had a customer come into the shop with a Honda 4cyl with turbo. He's been chasing a bad misfire and gave up and brought it to the pros. He had replaced the spark plug wires, cap and rotor. I took it for a test drive and could tell right off the bat that the problem was spark related. Ran fine at an idle but missed under load and even worse under a real heavy load. I pulled a plug out and found newly installed split fire type of plug in it. I told him I suspect his plugs and I recommend installing OE plugs. He went on and on about how good those plugs are, how expensive they are and that I'm wrong, etc. I told him if I'm wrong there's no charge. I installed oem plugs and it ran like a top, didn't even think about missing. I gave him his special plugs back and told him I'd recommend putting them in the waste basket on the way out. The guy was mad but not at me, probably at himself for being dooped into buying gimmick plugs.

Morale of the story is you can't go wrong with oem plugs. They are plenty good enough for whatever you want to do.
That goes right along with what a friend of mine told me. He has been in the auto repair business for many years and I trust him. I'll stick with OEM like you guys say. Experimenting could get expensive. Frustrating at the least.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Oh no! Not another spark plug thread!!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts
Spark plugs are like oil the more you pay the better it is.

:ltr:

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts
If oil is "life blood" then spark plugs are the brain synapse and my brain is worth it.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
What kind of oil do you use..:ltr::pepper::pepper:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts