Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Good point. They could drop the Slingshot first until some other shiny thing caught their eye then they could drop Indian.

I just don't trust Polaris anymore to do the right thing. They burned that bridge down with jet fuel.

I never even got a response from them on the batch of letters I wrote to ask them to reconsider shutting down Victory.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Pain I would think that if you jumped on a new Thunderstroke 111 after riding your bike that what would be most impressive is what a dog it would seem like.
It won't be easy or cheap to get the kind of performance you have on your bike out of it either. Make a great snow plow though.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pain I would think that if you jumped on a new Thunderstroke 111 after riding your bike that what would be most impressive is what a dog it would seem like.
It won't be easy or cheap to get the kind of performance you have on your bike out of it either. Make a great snow plow though.
I've test ridden a few TS 111 Indians and I have to agree with you....it is a very "lazy" engine. But with a little work it'll wake up enough. At the Indian Demo Day earlier this year I rode a factory "Stage 2" Chieftain which gave it a significant improvement in engine pep. If I ever bought a TS 111, I'd probably have the dealer do the Stage 2 upgrade as part of the sale, once the bike was broken in I'd put a Power Commander on it with a proper dyno tuning.
Since were talking about engines, to tell the truth....HD's Milwaukee 8 107ci really impressed me much more than the TS 111. Even in stock form the M8 has got nice grunt down low and pulls strong through the higher rpms.
Anyway, I'm many years away from buying a replacement for my XC.....I'm sure there will be even more very cool options 5+ years down the road...and who knows maybe @BBob will have succeeded in getting Victory back to life by then :laugh

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Anyway, I'm many years away from buying a replacement for my XC.....I'm sure there will be even more very cool options 5+ years down the road...and who knows maybe @BBob will have succeeded in getting Victory back to life by then :laugh
As cool as that would be; I don't think Polaris is smart enough to do that.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
my old 100 cube with tubes pipes and ATS would eat a TS111 in a roll on at any speed, as I've done quite a few times on shop rides when road conditions are appropriate.
now 109 and cammed it'll be even more superior to Indians high priced bad boy

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
But you are comparing apples to oranges. How would a TS111 that is cammed, tubed, pipes, and whatever else is done to other engines compare to these smaller engines that have the same mods?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
But you are comparing apples to oranges. How would a TS111 that is cammed, tubed, pipes, and whatever else is done to other engines compare to these smaller engines that have the same mods?

G'day,

Vinish
Here Vinish,
The chart is halfway down the page. Indian Chief Thunder Stroke 111 Dyno Chart - Motorcycle USA
Although you can get more out of it with cams etc, you are severely limited by the design of the engine itself.
You can make decent numbers maybe but you will need to be able to afford to do so. You won't be getting them from the motor stock.
It will be much like an HD. Motorwise it's a sort of kit bike. The question is always how fast can you afford to go?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Here Vinish,
The chart is halfway down the page. Indian Chief Thunder Stroke 111 Dyno Chart - Motorcycle USA
Although you can get more out of it with cams etc, you are severely limited by the design of the engine itself.
You can make decent numbers maybe but you will need to be able to afford to do so. You won't be getting them from the motor stock.
It will be much like an HD. Motorwise it's a sort of kit bike. The question is always how fast can you afford to go?
Dang, those are pretty lousy values stock. On KevinX's dyno, my Vic XCT with timing wheel at +6 degrees, PCV, Lloyds air filter, and slip on mufflers got 97 hp/111 ft-lbs torque compared to 73 hp/101 torque for the Indian. I suspect part of the difference is the variance between dyno machines but still, that is pretty dang low for the Indian TS111.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

G'day,

Vinish
Just logged in and by looking at the other replies you already have your answer.
Mine was 100 cube vs 111 at the time.
Rosy Red apples to Green apples more like it.
Takes a bite of my apple.
Indian lovers can throw big dollars at their granny smiths if they like, Victory Power is much easier and cheaper to liberate!
And that's a fact.
There's only one or two guys local here who get up their Indians anyway, the rest are weekend plodders in fringed Indian jackets, happy with their own particular flavour of Kool-aid.
They've already shelled out a packet on the bike and accessories and clothes so don't think they'll be digging deep for more power.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I rode about 50 miles on the way home yesterday with a guy and his girl on a hopped up Street Glide.....We were both two-up so I guess there was no impetus to "race". We met at a light in Pittsfield, MA, once we got going we knew we had a similar riding styles and played tag all the way into Winsted, CT. It was fun playing motorcycles with someone that kept up with me. I'd pass, he'd pass...sometimes I led, other times he led....I didn't give a **** who was faster, we were just riding and going a quick as we could for conditions.
If things were different and he blasted full bore off the line, I would have let him go. I don't street race. But within a couple of lights we were in sync and it was ride on thumb up Better to leave those HD guys guessing what's cooking under the tank anyway .... ;)

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
My experience with HD's that have been bumped up to fairly match hp/tq of our 106 Freedom motor Vic's is they are quicker off the line but then we take them further down the track in a quarter mile. YMMV, FWIW, JMHO. :)

The ones who spent a lot of money to completely rebuild their engines so they know they won't blow up under them used to be genuinely surprise we would keep right with them. I guess the word got out that Vic's have a good engine so don't be surprised.

The times when I really notice the extra oomph with the cams, timing wheel, and tuning is when I pull long steady steep hills and the bike just keeps pulling like it's nothing.

Around here there are lots of guys with pickup trucks who put a lot of time and money into them so they don't like it when some guy on a touring bike takes off and leaves them in the dust like that so they try to catch up but then the speed limit is reached and there are lots of cops on the stretch of highway I'm thinking of so I always throttle down to the speed limit. I can tell by the way the truck(s) stay on my ass that they are not happy with me making their truck look like a dog with their girlfriend sitting next to 'em. Heeeee! Sometimes they fly on by me as if to say "screw you" but we both know I got him. Hehehehe...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My experience with HD's that have been bumped up to fairly match hp/tq of our 106 Freedom motor Vic's is they are quicker off the line but then we take them further down the track in a quarter mile. YMMV, FWIW, JMHO. :)

The ones who spent a lot of money to completely rebuild their engines so they know they won't blow up under them used to be genuinely surprise we would keep right with them. I guess the word got out that Vic's have a good engine so don't be surprised.

The times when I really notice the extra oomph with the cams, timing wheel, and tuning is when I pull long steady steep hills and the bike just keeps pulling like it's nothing.

Around here there are lots of guys with pickup trucks who put a lot of time and money into them so they don't like it when some guy on a touring bike takes off and leaves them in the dust like that so they try to catch up but then the speed limit is reached and there are lots of cops on the stretch of highway I'm thinking of so I always throttle down to the speed limit. I can tell by the way the truck(s) stay on my ass that they are not happy with me making their truck look like a dog with their girlfriend sitting next to 'em. Heeeee! Sometimes they fly on by me as if to say "screw you" but we both know I got him. Hehehehe...
There is speed that is fun, then there is stupid speed....That's why I don't race, its a quick shot to stupid speed.
I find that balance point where I'm having fun but comfortable for conditions and ride there. I don't want a traffic ticket or an accident to ruin the riding enjoyment....cuz' that's all I get on my bike for ;)

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
There is speed that is fun, then there is stupid speed....That's why I don't race, its a quick shot to stupid speed.
I find that balance point where I'm having fun but comfortable for conditions and ride there. I don't want a traffic ticket or an accident to ruin the riding enjoyment....cuz' that's all I get on my bike for ;)
That's maturity speaking PaiN. The neat thing about growing older is not having to prove anything to anyone, even yourself. I'm just out to enjoy the ride because I still can. And that's sport enough for me. I wasn't always this way though. I had a very heavy throttle in my younger daze.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I wasn't always so heavy on the throttle. Then, along came cams. :D
Starting to get back into normal riding rhythms tho, and it's great to have the extra power on command for passing, avoidance, etc.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
From The Vic Shop. Caption is " how much headstart do we give the vette"
Looking at that road...I'm sure I'd be going damn fast down it too :cool: ...of course, now that I think about it.....Didn't Drew Miller launch him and his bike into a corn field hauling ass down a road just like that a couple of years ago....? :|

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well...... I sign up on this forums because I wanted to buy a Hammer, Then I saw the Scout Bobber and my eyes lite up. Then I saw a Chieftain Dark Horse and my heat skipped a beat, That's when I pull my credit card and told the guy " this is the one" Here is my scoot. 2016, 1,790 miles for $16150 out the door. I have made a few changes so It look a little different.
https://myfloridamotors.com/inventory/2016-indian-motorcycle-co-chieftain-dark-horse/

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
A gal in my SCRC chapter has one and she put the sweetest sounding pipes on it. Nice bikes those. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
It really is a good looking engine. They did a good job of keeping the old engine look with new engine tech built-in.
New engine tech? Like what?

If you look at a cutaway of this engine it most closely resembles something Briggs and Stratton would build. The valves are vertical, no valve angle. Pushrod valve actuation. I see no modern tech in it. This engine could have been built in the 1940s.

The team started with a blank sheet of paper and they came up with a 111 cubic inch engine that makes 74/101 for power output? All done at 4500 rpm? How embarrassing... Yeah they made it look like a flathead, but it pretty much runs like one too.

If Polaris built the perfect motorcycle for me and sold it at a reasonable price, it would be very difficult for me to buy it... I just don't trust the company at all. Everything they promised us as 'Victory Motorcycles' turned out to be a bunch of bullshit. Customer service sucked and then they closed the doors. If you see me on a Polaris product, rest assured, hell has indeed frozen over.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts