Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ALL

Needing some reassurance here please. Quick review, I bought a 2008 hammer in 2010 brand new left over model with extended warranty and all that. Its had about 3 or 4 claims so far with no really major ones but I did have it in the shop for about 4 weeks at one time before. I recently moved in December 2011 for a job to IL. Had some great days to ride before packing her away but I noticed in second gear the motor cuts out at 4000 rpm. Okay no big deal like a misfire or something, well took the bike back to Iowa to the original purchase dealer, awesome dealer ship by the way. Its been there since before X-mas and no one has any idea what is wrong with it. They took it for rides and feel the issue they dyno it same problem. Well besides all the obvious things to check they started swapping out parts from other bikes, still no answer. They had victory support in the shop, they dyno manufacture tech on phone, and power commander tech on the phone.... Problem still not solved. I have full confidence that they are going to try everything to fix the issue but my worry is what if they don't find the problem??? Anyone ever have anything like this happen before?? I don't really know what happens in warranty claims if the problem cannot be found or fixed, and how long I will have to wait for them to make a decision on what to do?? I know lots of questions but as you can see I'm stressing over this because I have my bike the way I want it, stock hammer with lots of chrome. I installed victory stage one with 2 into 1 pipes and that is all. I've only had dealer service and oil changes.... Anyone with some reassuring words?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a very similar problem when I first took delivery of my bike. It nearly drove the tech's crazy but it turned out to be a bad wiring harness. I don't know how that problem got past QA at the factory, but when they replaced it...BINGO...all was fixed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ill pass that on to them, I'm not sure if they replaced the whole harness or not yet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well just got a call today from the dealer. BAD NEWS....... They have tried everything electrical they can, now they are sure it is in the transmission. Ok I thought not a big deal I have a extended warranty right.... BUT they told me they do not think it will be covered under the warranty.... WTF WTF WTF..... He tells me he don't even know how much this will all cost but it won't be cheap at all. This has to be the worst thing I can think of. I'm about ready to pay bike off but if it will cost as much as I think it might maybe I should trade in for a better bike. Seriously if the warranty won't cover transmission failure then I will be staying away from the Victory line for good. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this covered under warranty?? Do I call them my self and plea with them to cover it? Bike is an 08 but hasn't even had 2 years of riding on it because I bought it end of riding season 2010, and it has under 12k miles..... Everything is stock no mods besides victory performance muffler stage one kit. There has to be away for this to be covered right???? I do not have warranty papers on me to review so kinda looking in the dark.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What extended warranty do you have? Is it manufacturer's extended warranty or aftermarket warranty? If not sure, this is a good time to dig for your purchase contract and read the extended warranty portion, including all fine print pertinent to the warranty.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Victory extended warranty.
If you're positive it is the manufactuer's warranty, ask your dealer for a written acknowledgment that Victory is not covering for the repair. Look for a good automotive lawyer in your area. It will be a little extra work on your part, but you should end up with a brand new replacement bike when it's all set and done. But, first things first. Get a written statement that the repair is not being covered. Without that, you're chasing your tail.

Most likely the dealer you took it to employs apes who know nothing about motorcycles. They probably put the request to Vic. for some repair that made no sense (seeing that they keep guessing what's wrong with it, and can't get it right), so naturally Vic. will decline such request.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, CrossRoads

I will be asking for paper work and confirmation on everything done to the bike. To be honest the guys at the dealer have always been really good with victory bikes, I don't blame them for troubleshooting the problem but I'm shocked warranty won't cover a problem like this. I'm hoping it all turns out good so I can get back to enjoying my victory like I always have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This does not make sense. If there was a problem in the transmission in second gear, it would not work at all or the problem would happen at any rpm, not just at around 4000 rpm. Especially if it cuts the engine out, that would mean that the gears are locking or jamming. You would come to a very abrupt stop in my mind.
It sounds definately like an electrical issue. Possibly a pickup sensor for the rpm or timing.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
KevinX, where are you?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
As a mechanic for many years I have seen some strange problems with fuel injection. I usually work on diesels, but still the new ones are electronic fuel injection. They have all kind of senors on the engine and transmission for speed,torque,load,temp,etc. One thing that may sound crazy, but is easy to do when having odd ball electical problems is basic. CLEAN all your grounds on the bike,clean off corrosion and any paint at the grounds. Then use a good die-electric grease at the grounds. Sounds crazy I know, but I have fixed a few Bobcat skid steers with crazy electrical problems from bad grounds. Second if the grounds do not cure it I would try disconnecting the speedo if it has the gear indicator built in. Now I am assuming that the bike will still run this way. If after disconnection the speedo & or gear indicator I would take it for a ride if the engine runs to up to red line like normal then I would say the problem is in the speedo or gear indicator.Of course this would or will be usless if the bike will not run with out the gauges hooked up,which would not surprise me with todays modern electronics on engines. I do find it hard to believe the problem is in the transmission,but it would be interesting to find out.Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I need to read the fine print in my extended warranty, I was 'told' it covers EVERYTHING top to bottom, but I guess I should read it myself, which is always a good idea.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This does not make sense. If there was a problem in the transmission in second gear, it would not work at all or the problem would happen at any rpm, not just at around 4000 rpm. Especially if it cuts the engine out, that would mean that the gears are locking or jamming. You would come to a very abrupt stop in my mind.
It sounds definately like an electrical issue. Possibly a pickup sensor for the rpm or timing.
Not necessarily. It could still be a trans engagement issue...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hi, ALL

Needing some reassurance here please. Quick review, I bought a 2008 hammer in 2010 brand new left over model with extended warranty and all that. Its had about 3 or 4 claims so far with no really major ones but I did have it in the shop for about 4 weeks at one time before. I recently moved in December 2011 for a job to IL. Had some great days to ride before packing her away but I noticed in second gear the motor cuts out at 4000 rpm. Okay no big deal like a misfire or something, well took the bike back to Iowa to the original purchase dealer, awesome dealer ship by the way. Its been there since before X-mas and no one has any idea what is wrong with it. They took it for rides and feel the issue they dyno it same problem. Well besides all the obvious things to check they started swapping out parts from other bikes, still no answer. They had victory support in the shop, they dyno manufacture tech on phone, and power commander tech on the phone.... Problem still not solved. I have full confidence that they are going to try everything to fix the issue but my worry is what if they don't find the problem??? Anyone ever have anything like this happen before?? I don't really know what happens in warranty claims if the problem cannot be found or fixed, and how long I will have to wait for them to make a decision on what to do?? I know lots of questions but as you can see I'm stressing over this because I have my bike the way I want it, stock hammer with lots of chrome. I installed victory stage one with 2 into 1 pipes and that is all. I've only had dealer service and oil changes.... Anyone with some reassuring words?
Where are you/the bike located now? What Victory dealership did you take it to get fixed? Just because some dealer picked up the Victory line doesn't mean that their guys have any experience working on them.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If you're positive it is the manufactuer's warranty, ask your dealer for a written acknowledgment that Victory is not covering for the repair.
There are different levels to this Victory warranty business. (Dontcha love MBAs and Lawyers?)

I got a 4 year "extension" as part of a marketing ploy to buy a hold over model year bike. It's coverage is extremely limited. But for the low price of $500 or so, I could have made it a full extended warranty. And that damn sure should cover transmission, electrical or anything else that aren't normal wear and tear parts.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
CLEAN all your grounds on the bike,clean off corrosion and any paint at the grounds. Then use a good die-electric grease at the grounds. Sounds crazy I know, but I have fixed a few Bobcat skid steers with crazy electrical problems from bad grounds.
That doesn't sound crazy at all and is great advice. But no sense in limiting it to the grounds, clean all the connectors. I work in a place that produces electrical goods and it is not uncommon to have test malfunctions because of flux or other crap on connector conductors.

Another issue is connector seating. I bought a new Ducati once and within a few miles it began doing kooky things like lights flashing and the speedometer wigging out. About 30 miles into it's life it cut out completely and left me miles from anything in an approaching electrical storm.

Thousands of great Americans with Christian values left me to die out there. Electrocution is apparently next to Godliness. Anyway, a long haired, grizzled biker heathen eventually saw I needed help and stopped and gave me a ride on his hog to the next gas station.

But I digress, the issue with the Duc was that a connector to the voltage regulator was not properly seated at the factory and over those 30 or so miles had come apart enough to sever the electrical supply to the fuel injection and that was the end of my journey.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My dealer is located in Iowa. I was told they are certified victory repair men. To be honest they are only ones around for miles that have the full line of victory bikes and basically only victory on floor. They have replaced everything electrical, that is why they are down to the tranny. I was told by changing the torque curve they can change where this problem occurs in the RPM range. My warranty is the pure Polaris one, so a factory one. its going on 2nd month in shop and they have so many hours in this thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Knowing my personality, at this point in the problem, I would be calling Victory Corp. customer server many times a day until I talked to someone willing to get involed and take control of this kind of thing before it gets out of hand and somehow tarnishes the brand.
As an ex-Harley guy, with a dealer having roughly 8 CERT. Techs, there was only one that i trusted with my bike. The other truely had no clue.

Plus they say they have replaced everything electrical, but does that include the whole wiring harness?

Anyway, still monitoring this, It seems like an isolated case, on an older model but still.

·
Registered
156 Posts
From your original post, you had power commander on the phone. So I'm guessing you have a pcv in there. I know that with the older pciii and the added ignition module you can modify the ignition to just about anything you wanted. If I'm not mistaken you can set the ignition timing and ignition cutout with the pcv with respect to rpm/gear selection ect without the extra module.
There may be something accidently set in the mapping to kill the ignition at that rpm or throttle position in that gear.
I'd wipe it clean of all maps, ensure there is the latest firmware loaded in it and start all from scratch with respect to the programming.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts