Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was making an adjustment to my Lloydz ATS and was tightening up the adjustment bolts when one decided to strip. I put some blue loctite on it and closed her. Will this be ok? What should I do different?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Drill out, tap out, helicoil....I can't imagine how that happened. When I put mine in I was impressed with how sturdy the thing was. Don't use a breaker bar when tightening...

·
Registered
427 Posts
What part gave way? The bolt or the wheel?:confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
A little late for the Locktight, and this bit of advice, but get a torque wrench and learn to use it. Never tighten anything without it again. Really.

IMHO one would really need to be getting ham fisted to strip one of the adjustment bolts, and they do have a strange fell when getting too tight, so you may be ok. Problem is you will end up losing sleep (perhaps for good reason) so taking out the offended bolt and hoping that was what was giving, then get a new bolt at the local hardware store, or where ever Lloydz tell you to. Call them and ask, they may have some better advice. Personally I wouldn't run it till I was sure, but that is just me.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just using my 1/4 drive socket! Will the blue loctite hold it in? Maybe I should just put my stock one back in until I fix this one?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was just using my 1/4 drive socket! Will the blue loctite hold it in? Maybe I should just put my stock one back in until I fix this one?
I would remove the stripped bolt at the very least , you don't want it falling into the engine .... Call Lloyds , he may just send you a new one .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I will just remove the Lloydz wheel for now and use my stock one until I get this taken care of properly. I would not want that bolt coming off and destroying things. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Were you jumping up and down on it? Sounds like you have a long long handle, are an ape, or maybe gt a bad bolt. Then again that strange feel may be taking it in. Locktight is for using on threads, not gluing something in.
Don't trust it that way, take out the bolt and examine the threads them call if something is really wrong.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
You haven't said so first check and see if it was the bolt or the hole that stripped. If you're lucky, it was the bolt which will be easy to replace next time you're in the city. If you can't get the same head then change both. It may not make a difference in the balance but it'll be easier to deal with having both the same. Bolt Supply House or Edmonton Fasteners should be able to help you out.

If the hole stripped, drilling and taping it up one size is pretty easy to do. Not too expensive either if you can get an individual tap rather than a whole set. Again, I'd do both just to keep things consistent. The only critical thing is to keep the drilling and tapping perpendicular to the plate. Take care and you should be fine. You certainly can't wreck it.

And buy some torque wrenches. A low range in in-lbs and a larger one that will go to 100 ft-lbs. That range will get you most of the bike fasteners. There may be an occasion when you need a higher one like for the clutch but try to borrow one for the odd time you need it. I say that because the bigger the spread from min to max on a torque wrench, the larger the error. Also check out digital torque adapters which work very well too. I got one of the adapters to check my torque wrench settings and found you can use it directly on the fasteners when needed.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
first thing, Lloydz even says not to tq it, just snug it. which to me is BS! 6ftlbs on the small bolts, 15 on the center, blue loctite.

second, did the wheel strip or the cheesy bolt?
third, loctite wont hold it in place with no threads
4th, put stock wheel back in till you fix what stripped
last, if possible tap threads to the next bigger size and get new shorty bolts to fit, watch the head size as the will contact inside the cover.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My friend, I am going to say something that you should read in the spirit that I write it. I'm fairly sure it's going to fall on deaf ears but hey, I really want you to succeed at this motorcycle thing.

It is this. If your question about the miracle adhesion and retention characteristics of Loktite is the gauge of your skill, a wise course of action would be to step away from the toolbox, do some studifying of the manuals and installation information as well as the tools and equipment that you are using to perform mechanical surgery, and then re approach the issues.

I'm just saying that if the response to stripping threads is to look for interwebs assurance that Loktiting it is a reasonable interim solution, that speaks to a probable fault in your troubleshooting methodology.

But hey, it's your bike. AFAIK there is nothing that you or I can break on one of these things that can't be fixed. Have at it.

Just for the record... to question 1- No. Loktite is not the answer. To question 2- see above, know thy tools, use thy instructions, seek to understand the ways of things. Try to restrain yourself from asking internet advice until those three axioms do not save you from yourself.

Try this please. If not for your own sake then for the sake of your motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My friend, I am going to say something that you should read in the spirit that I write it. I'm fairly sure it's going to fall on deaf ears but hey, I really want you to succeed at this motorcycle thing.

It is this. If your question about the miracle adhesion and retention characteristics of Loktite is the gauge of your skill, a wise course of action would be to step away from the toolbox, do some studifying of the manuals and installation information as well as the tools and equipment that you are using to perform mechanical surgery, and then re approach the issues.

I'm just saying that if the response to stripping threads is to look for interwebs assurance that Loktiting it is a reasonable interim solution, that speaks to a probable fault in your troubleshooting methodology.

But hey, it's your bike. AFAIK there is nothing that you or I can break on one of these things that can't be fixed. Have at it.

Just for the record... to question 1- No. Loktite is not the answer. To question 2- see above, know thy tools, use thy instructions, seek to understand the ways of things. Try to restrain yourself from asking internet advice until those three axioms do not save you from yourself.

Try this please. If not for your own sake then for the sake of your motorcycle.
LMFAO....... Brilliant!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I may be too late for you but you could just tap both the holes to the next size up to get a fastener in there. You need to do both in order to keep it somewhat balanced. Good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE; So I took off the LLoydz wheel and removed the bolt and it actually was not in bad shape either was the hole for it. I ran both over with tap & die and cleaned the threads up and it fits like a glove again. I guess I got lucky. I'll be using my torque wrench from now on! Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts