Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reception on my XCT has got worse, if thats even possible. Read a few posts on how to OHM out the cable etc. Best I can cipher cable is good. Took mount off, the side that the nut touches 0 ohm to ground. The back side which is a shield/ground is like 3.5 ohm to ground. Move to the mount part the antenna screws into and from the post to the screw threads the antenna goes into I get OL. Seems to me it should be a 0 ohm or basically a direct connection. If someone is board could you take a look see and tell me if you get a complete circuit from post to antenna socket/screw in part.
4012274 is the part number.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My reception on my XCT has got worse, if thats even possible. Read a few posts on how to OHM out the cable etc. Best I can cipher cable is good. Took mount off, the side that the nut touches 0 ohm to ground. The back side which is a shield/ground is like 3.5 ohm to ground. Move to the mount part the antenna screws into and from the post to the screw threads the antenna goes into I get OL. Seems to me it should be a 0 ohm or basically a direct connection. If someone is board could you take a look see and tell me if you get a complete circuit from post to antenna socket/screw in part.
4012274 is the part number.
A full size FM antenna works best. The specification is something like 30 or 32 inches. I dumped my shorty for crappy reception, at first I thought the short one was great.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less chance of gettinh poked in the eyewith shorty. But basically what ohm/ electronic wise I have going on is continuity from radio back to antenna mount. Then nothing past where it bolts antenna to cable. Trying to determine if others are this way.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I don't know how antenna work but I do think you should have 0 ohm all the way if it's directly connected to radio. Wire to antenna. The antenna itself would be isolated from the bike or your reception would be off with bike acting as antenna.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the cable set up is a little weird. Connects up at radio like normal. But when you get back to the antenna. The cable ends with like 2 flat washers looking pieces. One is the shield/ground separated by plastic and the other "washer" connects via a stud to the antenna, or should. I think before I would throw $40+ for the Victory antenna connector, I will figure out a automotive type. Just hate to think about removing and re-routing that cable front to rear.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It would have to isolate it so that makes sense to me. If using a shorter than stock antenna that is probably the issue. They are tuned at that full annoying length and shorter will have less reception. I haven't really used my short antenna after installing it so can't say how well it works. Picked up iPod instead. Prior owner to my bike simply snipped off the stock antenna to a shorter length which had horrible reception.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured out a work around. I just made a jumper wire to go from the post to the antenna.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Figured out a work around. I just made a jumper wire to go from the post to the antenna.
What improvement in reception have you noticed? If it has made a real positive difference, I would like to see how you have done it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems better, but I have only run back and forth to work so far. No distance, as I only work about 6 miles from the house. Soon as I get a chance to put a few miles distance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts