Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys a few months back i was searching for a victory belt for my v92 and by chance found that " gates belts " were just rebranded i purchased a gates belt with the same specs and it fitted and works just fine at less than half the cost of victory belts ( which is all they are anyway)
Now i checked a thread on here re oil volume for my 2003 sc and opted for a 20w 50 fully synthetic and there was some debate about volume i opted to try the lesser recomended volume to start with which was 6quarts or where im from 5.7 liters as opposed to another mention of 6.5 quarts anyway at 6 quarts it " over fills" by the dipstick reading and when i bought the bike i removed about 1.5 quarts till it sat at the correct point on the dipstick...ive just measured the amount removed after the oil change and its 5.3 quarts and was sitting at the correct level with the bike upright on level ground...totaly confused now...any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
My Cross bike is supposed to hold 4.5 quarts, but engines differ. So I only put in 4 quarts, and after a long ride, check the oil level hot (Cross bikes do it vertically!) and add to the full mark. You might try that method.
Oh, and thanks for the info on the belt. Its probably worth the effort for any Vic owner to find out which Gates belt works on their model and post it for all to see.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Hey Guys a few months back i was searching for a victory belt for my v92 and by chance found that " gates belts " were just rebranded i purchased a gates belt with the same specs and it fitted and works just fine at less than half the cost of victory belts ( which is all they are anyway)
Now i checked a thread on here re oil volume for my 2003 sc and opted for a 20w 50 fully synthetic and there was some debate about volume i opted to try the lesser recomended volume to start with which was 6quarts or where im from 5.7 liters as opposed to another mention of 6.5 quarts anyway at 6 quarts it " over fills" by the dipstick reading and when i bought the bike i removed about 1.5 quarts till it sat at the correct point on the dipstick...ive just measured the amount removed after the oil change and its 5.3 quarts and was sitting at the correct level with the bike upright on level ground...totaly confused now...any thoughts or advice?
You can never get all the oil out on an oil change which is why you fill it back up a quart or so low on the 6 quart engines then fill to full mark on dipstick.

I think it was you who inspired me to look into finding belts for all the years of Victory. Some are still only available through Polaris but others are available through other sources. Check it out at the link below.

http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/193185-belt-size-model-year.html

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Yes your oil cooler and oil lines inside and outside the engine are still full with the "old" oil, also there will be a small amount remaining on the bottom of tbe crankcase , that is why the engine needs to be hot, so the oil is easier to slow

OP, please post the website and order number on @BBob belt thread, slowly we are finding more items where to buy NOT from polanus

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
13,239 Posts
Kiwi Rider
are you checking oil level with bike straight up. screwing dip stick in and then out to get reading. You can't check it on kickstand.
The professional tuners say its best to run it a 1/4 of a quart low. It helps preventing to much oil build up in air cleaner.

Before you replace your belt inspect it for cracks on the lugs. Your belt should go for 80K if its not dry rotted

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everyone...yes engine was warmed up to a good temp prior to draining...and level checked with bike upright...guess i didnt account for oil remaining in system..will drain some out.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Hey thanks everyone...yes engine was warmed up to a good temp prior to draining...and level checked with bike upright...guess i didnt account for oil remaining in system..will drain some out.
Dont worry I did similar the first time.
Its a learning curve.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Other than through Polaris, no, not yet.
Just get a genny one off Paulie.
You blokes dont know how fortunate you are not to have to pay Aussie dealership prices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts