Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my oil change today, cost $127 like W-O-W........What do you pay for an oil change?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is a list of alternate oil filters with part #s
Hope it helps

Mobil: M1-110, M1-108
Purolator Pure-1: PL14610, PL14612
Bosch: 3300, 3323
Walmart SuperTech: ST7317
Amsoil: SMF-103, SMF-103C (chrome)
WIX: 51356, 51358
NAPA Gold 1356
Carquest: 85356
AC Delco: PF-2057
Motorcraft Long Life: FL-821
STP: S-02867
K&N: KN303
K&P : S-1 (Billet) S-1A (Black Anodized) S-1C (Chrome)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Purolator Pure-1: PL14610, PL14612 is the best filter out there. I did some internet research and found a guys site that showed all brands taken apart. Pure One is the winner! I used the long one. Advanced Auto has 'em for $7.
I am now running a K & P reusable filter to save money over the long run. I got mine from Scott at Conquest Customs.

I run Rotella T synthetic (blue jug) goes for about 20 bucks a gallon at Walmart. Buy 2 gallons and you have 2 oil changes worth of oil.

I have 2 2 "X 8" pieces of wood doubled up and angle cut to roll the bike onto to get it high enough to get the oil change pan under the bike. I put one in front of the front wheel and one in front of the back wheel and ride the bike up onto them. Also I have a square piece of 2" X 8" doubled up to set the kick stand on. I didn't take a picture of it but the pic I took of the ramp boards gives you an idea of how to make them.
I have a 2002 Classic Deluxe so I have been doing this for years.

You are looking at $54 for 2 oil changes instead of $100 for 2 changes if you buy the Victory kit or $200+ to pay a dealer.
It's a no brainer.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
What grade do you use. Ive been thinking about trying the rotella, but can only find 15-40 at the local wal mart and advanced auto didn't have the 20-40 either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Changed oil, went with the Rotella 5-40 full syn. and the fram 7317 oil filter. Bike is quieter and shifts smoother/quieter. Anxious to see what it looks like in 3k. cost less than $30.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What grade do you use. Ive been thinking about trying the rotella, but can only find 15-40 at the local wal mart and advanced auto didn't have the 20-40 either.
Full synthetic 5W-40

·
Registered
18 Posts
Changed oil, went with the Rotella 5-40 full syn. and the fram 7317 oil filter. Bike is quieter and shifts smoother/quieter. Anxious to see what it looks like in 3k. cost less than $30.
I wouldn't use the Fram in the future. They were rated the worst on that website I found that I mentioned in my first post.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, Fram is a terrible filter. Not only in construction quality, but it only has about a 36-42 Micron Rating Nominal. The human eye can see to approximately 40 Micron.

65% of wear caused by dirt is caused by particles in the 5-25 Micron Range.

You cannot buy a better filter than the AMSOIL EA Series which is conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute.

There are 2 filters for a Vic. EAOM-103 and EAO-13 depending on model.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard rumors of full synthetic causing clutch slip. I have my first oil change comming up and was wondering how true this was (I personally dont see it) The book calls for a semi-synthetic, but I like a full myself. I will start with a semi though as the previous owner ran conventional. I am on a 2002 92VC

Any of you guys on a 92ci ever had a problem with full synthetic and clutch slip?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have heard rumors of full synthetic causing clutch slip. I have my first oil change comming up and was wondering how true this was (I personally dont see it) The book calls for a semi-synthetic, but I like a full myself. I will start with a semi though as the previous owner ran conventional. I am on a 2002 92VC

Any of you guys on a 92ci ever had a problem with full synthetic and clutch slip?
Yes, people have had a problem... When using an automotive or diesel oil with the wrong specifications.

I recommend: REGARDLESS of Brand, Synthetic or Petroleum, a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but Never MB. If anyone tells you there is no difference between auto/diesel and Motorcycle Specific oils, they are wrong and passing on bad information.

If a Motorcycle Specific oil is not used, an automotive oil with an API SG/SH Rating May be used. A higher API such as SJ, SL, SM MAY be used IF it has a JASO MA Rating.

Although, M/C Specific oils will usually have clutch performance additives and Anti-Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors that auto/diesel oils of even the proper spec do not have. Some M/C Specific oils will have a Higher TBN to fight acidity.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using the Rotella full syn for about 10k miles now and no problems. The 1st time I used it I was on a trip and went 5600 miles. changed it when I got home and it looked just slightly darker than when I put it in. Pulled my trailer over the Bighorn Mt. and over Beartooth Pass in WY/MT which is close to 11,000 ft. No slipping. Engine is quieter and shifts soooo much better. I have no personal experience with Amsoil, One guy told me it slipped one guy said the clutch was really"grabby" Maybe they weren't using the right stuff. Again, this is only what I was told. Alot of guys use it. I think next time I am going to look for the Mobil 1V-Twin oil. Hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have been using the Rotella full syn for about 10k miles now and no problems. The 1st time I used it I was on a trip and went 5600 miles. changed it when I got home and it looked just slightly darker than when I put it in. Pulled my trailer over the Bighorn Mt. and over Beartooth Pass in WY/MT which is close to 11,000 ft. No slipping. Engine is quieter and shifts soooo much better. I have no personal experience with Amsoil, One guy told me it slipped one guy said the clutch was really"grabby" Maybe they weren't using the right stuff. Again, this is only what I was told. Alot of guys use it. I think next time I am going to look for the Mobil 1V-Twin oil. Hope this helps.
Bill
Bill,

Mobil 1 V-Twin oil is a 20W-50 ... If you are going to use Mobil 1, Racing 4T is the 10W-40 which is what a Vic calls for.

Rotella has just recently changed as well and no longer has the Stand Alone CI-4 Rating. The new Rotella is a CJ-4 Plus and does have friction modifiers.

You will probably be quite Happy with Mobil 1 Racing 4T or AMSOIL MCF as they are True Synthetics where the Rotella is a HydroIsomerized oil. A good oil but still not a True PAO or Ester Based Synthetic.

We have a Forum Discount at the time and can put AMSOIL on your doorstep.

As for clutches slipping with AMSOIL. The only time I have seen clutch slippage or chatter is after people have used automotive oil, especially Mobil 1 EP. Usually a clean up with some Marvel Mystery oil solves the problem.

AMSOIL M/C Specific oils MCT, MCF and MCV have a JASO MA 2 Rating which is the highest clutch performance rating available today.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although the SMF Filters are a TOP Tier Filter and still Superior to most filters on the market, new technology has come about.

That is one reason I am so against doing "Searches" on Forums. No New information would surface.

The SMF Filters were a Synthetic filter and 87% efficient @ 17 Microns.

The EA Series filters utilize a Patented Nano-Fiber media developed by Donaldson Corp. for the ground equipment used by the Military in the sand overseas.

AMSOIL is the only company to have this media for Motorcycles, cars and light trucks. By contract, not even Donaldson has it for those applications.

The media is conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute and is the most efficient filter you can buy. It also flows better than OEM Filters.

If you find someone that has some of the SMF Filters at a reasonable price, say like a few dollars, I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up and use them.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, thanks, Bob, I appreciate the info. I'm confused, though, about the EAO / EAOM applications. When I go to the Amsoil site, it doesn't have an Amsoil filter listed for my 2006 Vegas Jackpot. It only lists a Wix filter # 51356. Am I doing something wrong?

Thx, Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
Okay, thanks, Bob, I appreciate the info. I'm confused, though, about the EAO / EAOM applications. When I go to the Amsoil site, it doesn't have an Amsoil filter listed for my 2006 Vegas Jackpot. It only lists a Wix filter # 51356. Am I doing something wrong?

Thx, Bill
No sir.. You are doing nothing wrong. I have questioned that myself as I have a Vic Dealership as a customer.. The 13 filter is slightly longer than the 103. I never got clarification on that but by cross referencing as you have done, The 13 is the match for the 51356 and the 103 is the match to a 51358.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts

Thx, Bill
Don't forget to contact me for your Forum Discount..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts