Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often is everyone changing their oil? I see victory says 2500 miles which seems crazy considering todays oils are supposedly much superior. I normally change mine between 3000 and 3500 miles. If I am gonna pay a premium price for Vic oil I'm thinking a semi synthetic should last at least 3500 to 4000 mi. Especially when my 04 holds 6 qrts. ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The scheduled service interval varies depending on model and year. For Cross bikes and the Vision, the 2010 oil change interval is 2500 miles. Victory modified the transmission and engine to reduce noise and extend the oil service interval to 5000 miles. For the other cruisers (Vegas, Jackpot, Hammer) the oil interval was extended to 5000 miles in 2012.

BTW, I always changed my 2010 XR's oil at 2500 miles. Changing the oil is relatively cheap insurance, hardly something I'd scrimp on.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How often is everyone changing their oil? I see victory says 2500 miles which seems crazy considering todays oils are supposedly much superior. I normally change mine between 3000 and 3500 miles. If I am gonna pay a premium price for Vic oil I'm thinking a semi synthetic should last at least 3500 to 4000 mi. Especially when my 04 holds 6 qrts. ;)
You must have one of the older bikes if it says 2500. They say 5,000 now BUT I wouldn't do it. I've done lab testing on my old oil. The short story is Vic oil and Amzoil both tested as needing replaced much sooner than that based on high fuel content. The high fuel is do to short trips where the bike doesn't remain at operating temp very long. I would stick to the 2500 if I were you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
All models 2011 and up have 5k oil change interval. All 2011's have the newer trans that's why it changed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must have one of the older bikes if it says 2500. They say 5,000 now BUT I wouldn't do it. I've done lab testing on my old oil. The short story is Vic oil and Amzoil both tested as needing replaced much sooner than that based on high fuel content. The high fuel is do to short trips where the bike doesn't remain at operating temp very long. I would stick to the 2500 if I were you.
..Thats good to know as I do tend to do a fair amount of short trips. I was thinking of testing the oil to see if I could go longer between changes.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I changed my own oil at 5000 miles just 2 days ago. Even visually that old oil was a dirty tan color. You definitely do not want to go over the 5k oil change interval.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I do mine every 3,000 Miles .. My Peace of Mind or Waste of Money whichever way you want to call it .. This still works out fine for when reach the 15,000 or 30,000 Intervals which involve critical service ..

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I do mine every 3,000 Miles .. My Peace of Mind or Waste of Money whichever way you want to call it .. This still works out fine for when reach the 15,000 or 30,000 Intervals which involve critical service ..
Same here, easy to do and the bike seems to have less clutch and shifting issues by changing the oil earlier. it dont take much time to do, and while the oil is draining I go over the bike checking other stuff.
I do mine every 3000-3500 miles

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Around 3000,,,,:)

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I should have mine tested. I keep meaning to do it, but never think about it when I go to do it. The dealer changed it once for free at about 1500 miles and I've changed mine 5 times since then at 5k mile intervals. I've always used Vic oil and filters too. If I have a premature engine failure, ye'all will be the first to know. Then you can point to me as "that dummy that followed the factory recommendations." ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
im in the 3000 mile club too. even with full syn oil.
been that way with all my bikes. used mobil 1 in the others.
tried t6 the last time in the vic. didnt really notice any difference except price.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Subscribed just to watch.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Subscribed just to watch.
:I agree: 5K is where I change mine. Maybe too soon, because I don't have the real or perceived transmission changes some report. Easy for me to remember and about a 15 minute job.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
:I agree: 5K is where I change mine. Maybe too soon, because I don't have the real or perceived transmission changes some report. Easy for me to remember and about a 15 minute job.

Cheers
Just changed mine 100 mile short of 5K
Mines a 2010 but has no difficulty finding neutral and changes gear good with a positive shift.
I'm using Aussie oil, Penrite 10-50 M/C Semi-syn its JASO MA. Rated.
Usually change it around the 4k miles.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Just changed mine 100 mile short of 5K
Mines a 2010 but has no difficulty finding neutral and changes gear good with a positive shift.
I'm using Aussie oil, Penrite 10-50 M/C Semi-syn its JASO MA. Rated.
Usually change it around the 4k miles.
Have you ever had it lab tested to see just how contaminated it is? wac

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm feelin' a lil rotten today ;)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Is it 3,000 with Amzoil, Vic oil, Mobile, or something else. wac
I have used the Vic oil to this point , but I just bought 3 Wix filters and I'm going to try the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in about 300 miles or so ... Just about due now .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts