Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Victory Cross Country. I have about 3,500 miles on this oil change. Here in the last week the engine has started getting a little noisey. With some of my past machines the increased noise was an indicator to me that it was time for an oil change. Some machines would stay quite regardless of the miles, where others will only get to 3K before telling me it’s time for an oil change.

So yesterday I went to the local dealer to buy a Victory oil change kit. The last one cost me $60… OK. But this one cost me $80!!!! Not all that bad considering what you get. But dang, a $20 jump?

Which leads to my questions… For those of you who have the 2011 and up 106ci engine and are using Victory oil:

- Do you notice more noise as the oil gets old(er)?
- If so, how many miles before you start to hear it?
- How often are you changing the oil?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
For what it's worth, I do oil changes at 5,000 miles as recommended and each and every time oil comes out looking like it's only half way through its life. Of course, this is just my visual test. Noise wise, I did not notice changes in noise as the oil ages.

·
12,984 Posts
So many times we hear things that are not there. One bike I had I swear I heard a noise from the rear wheel but never could find any thing wrong. By chance I was away from the bike for two weeks. When I did get back on the bike no more noise.
Kinda like you'll read guys say the bike shifts hard when it get close to oil change time. I think thats all in your mind.
If you didn't see the mileage would you have the same thoughts.
I went to Amsoil oil and a Wix filter and pay about $55 bucks for a change. I do think your dealer bent you over and I would save your reset and keep an eye on there prices and when it goes down I would ask them why.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oil change/ noises

I bought my 09 Victory Vision Tour in February '10 new as a leftover. Primarily because it came with a 5 year factory warranty. Because the day was cold when I took the test ride the bike (transmission) was quiet. Since then I noticed as the ambient temperature allowed the machine to get to 225 or so degrees, I hear objectional gear noise. I think if I had test rode the Victory in the summer, I would not have bought it. I have heard the '12 model has corrected that issue.
Frank

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Which leads to my questions… For those of you who have the 2011 and up 106ci engine and are using Victory oil:

- Do you notice more noise as the oil gets old(er)?
No.

- How often are you changing the oil?
Every 5k miles per the manual.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So many times we hear things that are not there.
I did the airbox insulative strip removal mod and when I first started the engine after it sat for a month or so over winter, a very loud ticking sound came from the airbox. The engine oil was just changed before I put it away. After it had run for a few minutes, it went away.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I bought a Vic oil change kit like two weeks ago and it was $60.

·
12,984 Posts
I did the airbox insulative strip removal mod and when I first started the engine after it sat for a month or so over winter, a very loud ticking sound came from the airbox. The engine oil was just changed before I put it away. After it had run for a few minutes, it went away.
Oil more then likely drained out of your cam chain adjuster is what the ticking you heard. Good for you it went away.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Book says 2500 test says 5000.
¿Que, there's a test?

If they want to know that if I start with 5 quarts of dirty oil, and spill it on my floor at a rate of one mega blob per second, how much will I need to mop before I bedtime, my answer is plenty.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
¿Que, there's a test?

If they want to know that if I start with 5 quarts of dirty oil, and spill it on my floor at a rate of one mega blob per second, how much will I need to mop before I bedtime, my answer is plenty.
Wow
cheers cheers cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a new 2010 and I see it calls for changes every 3500 miles but I read we're the 2011 and newer models are 5000. I know they changed the tranny in these bikes but why the different miles? Why couldn't I go 5000 miles also? I used rottella in my venture and changed it around 5000 to 6000 miles, she would start to shift really hard all at once and I knew it was time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Actually the 2010 service interval is every 2500 miles. I was told that it is mainly due to the addition of a neutral assist in the 2011 and on that allows the only to go 5000 miles instead of 2500.

Personally I don't want any hassles IF I need to make a warranty claim so I change it at the recommended interval. But it probably wouldn't hurt anything to change it every 5000 instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts