Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e searched and read a few posts on here and everyone agrees that 2010 and early model vic's need an oil change at 2500 miles. I have both the digital and the hard copy owners manual for my 2008 vegas, both of these have 500 then 5000 miles listed as the interval to replace the oil? Is this a misprint or what?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Iv'e searched and read a few posts on here and everyone agrees that 2010 and early model vic's need an oil change at 2500 miles. I have both the digital and the hard copy owners manual for my 2008 vegas, both of these have 500 then 5000 miles listed as the interval to replace the oil? Is this a misprint or what?
Actually, it's not a misprint. If you want to be at peace that you're not changing your oil too often, see what the paragraph highlighted below says. ;) If you're riding in peachy conditions all the times, you may change your oil every 5,000 miles.
VIC_maint_interval.jpg
For those who don't like squinting at the blurry image, here's what the paragraph says:
*Replace at specified interval or annually. If driven in extreme conditions, engine oil and filter should be changed every 2,500 miles
(examples: frequent operation in stop-and-go traffic, short trips, dusty conditions, fully loaded, aggressive riding, high ambient temperatures).

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'll have to read my 2011 XR manual again. I thought they upped the newer bikes to 5,000 miles. I'll have to see if there is a foot note also.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'll have to read my 2011 XR manual again. I thought they upped the newer bikes to 5,000 miles. I'll have to see if there is a foot note also.
It's on page 55. Foot note says: "Replace at specified interval or annually."

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess to be safe the 2500 mile increment for changing the oil should be used, but if your touring alot at constant speeds it shouldn't hurt to go up to 5000 miles... That's my take on it.

·
12,970 Posts
Guess I don't understand. In 2011 Vic changed the gears witch
shouldn't matter about when to change the oil.
But they changed the bearings and that would matter. I have a friend who works for a bearing company and doesn't under stand why one set of bearing is good for 2500 and now 5000 he says there is quality of steel in bearings but thats about it.
I didn't see where Vic changed piston rings or crank. They just changed tranie bearing.
Now if your going to rip me a new one don't I said I didn't understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts