Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if it is as easy as it looks to change the oil on our bikes? I noticed you can pick up the Victory Oil kit for around $65.00 and I change the oil in my Truck all the time. I just don't know if there is anything special to do to the Victory Motorcycle when it come to this? I'm not real familiar how the "Wet Clutch" works and all and if there are any other pointers anyone can give me.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
It's just like it looks.
Get a low pan that will hold 6 quarts(my Kingpin). Yours may hold five.
Don't know year or model..

1.Unscrew the plug on the bottom left rear of motor.I believe mine is a 6mm.You need an Allen wrench as the hex is internal.
2. Remove oil filter and replace.
3. Replace oil plug.
4. Add recommended amount of oil.
5. Stand bike straight up and check oil.
6. Wash hands
7. Ride

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! I thought it had to be that easy, Now I have a headache though after reading all the comments about Oil and filters and which one is best! DAMN! I like the idea of just going to the Auto store and picking up some oil made for our bike and a good filter too but after all the threads on the oil and if Vic oil is better than Amsoil, or Valvoline better than??? :crzy:

Thanks again for your comment!
David

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Jaso MA designation is wet clutch friendly. Rotella 15w-40 is just that and so are many others.

·
12,970 Posts
First I would get a manual for your bike.
Check oil with bike straight up and down all the time

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you can change oil on your truck, you can change your oil on your Vic. Like falling off a log. Like was mentioned, just stay away from oil with friction modifiers and you'll be alright. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
vic oil

Sweet! I thought it had to be that easy, Now I have a headache though after reading all the comments about Oil and filters and which one is best! DAMN! I like the idea of just going to the Auto store and picking up some oil made for our bike and a good filter too but after all the threads on the oil and if Vic oil is better than Amsoil, or Valvoline better than??? :crzy:

Thanks again for your comment!
David
kylryn: not that there is anything wrong with vic oil (there isn't) i just found that amsoil 20w40 gives my v92c a much quieter top end. read up in this forum and you will find enough info to make a good decision for yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
kylryn: not that there is anything wrong with vic oil (there isn't) i just found that amsoil 20w40 gives my v92c a much quieter top end.

Uh did you mean 20W50 oil? I don't recall Amsoil making a 20W40 oil.

·
12,970 Posts
It's just like it looks.
Get a low pan that will hold 6 quarts(my Kingpin). Yours may hold five.
Don't know year or model..

1.Unscrew the plug on the bottom left rear of motor.I believe mine is a 6mm.You need an Allen wrench as the hex is internal.
2. Remove oil filter and replace.
3. Replace oil plug.
4. Add recommended amount of oil.
5. Stand bike straight up and check oil.
6. Wash hands
7. Ride
Victory's only hold 4 1/2 quarts. The manual say bike must stand straight up and down to check oil. I put mine on a 2x4 and that very close to being straight up and down. Start motor wait for light to go out and then check level of oil.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I put mine on a 2x4 and that very close to being straight up and down. Start motor wait for light to go out and then check level of oil.
I check my oil by cleaning the dipstick with it on the side stand, replacing it, then I stand the bike up for a couple seconds, then lean it back over. Remove the dipstick and the oil will be on the stick at its highest level, which is stood upright.

No worries about tipping the bike or trying to get the stick out while sitting on the bike.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I check my oil by cleaning the dipstick with it on the side stand, replacing it, then I stand the bike up for a couple seconds, then lean it back over. Remove the dipstick and the oil will be on the stick at its highest level, which is stood upright.

No worries about tipping the bike or trying to get the stick out while sitting on the bike.
nicethumb up

·
Registered
353 Posts

I dont want to say anything bad... BUT, it does not matter if upright or not.
If its on its side stand the level on the dipstick crosses the line in an angle and if its straight its on the line !!!

So...as long as u dont overfill.....YOUR GOOD thumb up

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I dont want to say anything bad... BUT, it does not matter if upright or not.
If its on its side stand the level on the dipstick crosses the line in an angle and if its straight its on the line !!!

So...as long as u dont overfill.....YOUR GOOD thumb up
WRONG!!!! The readings on the dip stick will vary greatly depending on weather the bike is on the side stand or up right. Since Victory says to check the oil level with the bike up right...... Filling the bike with oil to the full line while on it's side stand would result in a OVER FILL situation. Not good! You say something bad.

·
Registered
353 Posts
WRONG!!!! The readings on the dip stick will vary greatly depending on weather the bike is on the side stand or up right. Since Victory says to check the oil level with the bike up right...... Filling the bike with oil to the full line while on it's side stand would result in a OVER FILL situation. Not good! You say something bad.
Then im sorry...maybe my side stand isn't as deep as others...on mine it works !:confused:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts