Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual says to "reinstall drain plug with a new seal."

Does that mean the copper washer on the drain plug should be replaced each time that plug is pulled?

My dealers tech says they have never replaced one. (Fairly new shop)

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
yeah so they say...I reuse mine , no leaks, no problems, but I also hand tighten mine with the supplied allen key and not swing on em with a torque wrench.
up to you , they're only cheap, and how many changes are you gonna average a year

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Been reusing the washer, so far no drips....:)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I reuse the washer but reverse it [Turn it over]...but if i have any doubts about it i will use a new one their cheep enough... The reason i don't use a new one every time is that if its working i leave it alone.. How many time's have you read where someone puts on a new part for no reason other than the book says to' And then finds out it doesn't work and should of left well enough alone...:eek

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
have new ones laying around but am still using the original.
almost 20000 miles and 3000 mile changes. the one on
my vtx was original at 32000 miles. no drips ever.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
They say to use a new one to protect their own ass when they do the work.

I'm still using the original one.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It is a CRUSH WASHER, and not a sealing washer. It is there to work similar to a lock washer. Holding tension through compression. Allowing the drain plug to be tightened to the proper torque WITHOUT STRIPPING THE CASE. Not replacing it is a very bad idea. Advising others to share in your bad idea; is just stupid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
they gimme one with each new oil change kit...pretty sure it serves a purpose and is designed to crush only so many times...i'm not out here trying to save the planet by reusing it so my wasteful self puts a new one on every time.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
It is a CRUSH WASHER, and not a sealing washer. It is there to work similar to a lock washer. Holding tension through compression. Allowing the drain plug to be tightened to the proper torque WITHOUT STRIPPING THE CASE. Not replacing it is a very bad idea. Advising others to share in your bad idea; is just stupid.
Another not-so-fine example why I don't trust most guys with tools in their hands. :eek

·
Registered
216 Posts
I change mine every time.
Cheap insurance!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Allowing the drain plug to be tightened to the proper torque WITHOUT STRIPPING THE CASE. Not replacing it is a very bad idea. Advising others to share in your bad idea; is just stupid.
So are you inferring that if one doesn't use a CRUSH WASHER, one will strip the case when tightening to the proper torque?

I don't see where anyone has specifically advised others to not replace them. What we've said is that WE don't always replace it.

I would suggest that the purpose of a crush washer is to provide a bit of tension between the bolt and the oil pan to help keep the bolt tight (such as a lock washer) while at the same time providing a good seal because they can conform to slight surface irregularities.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
So are you inferring that if one doesn't use a CRUSH WASHER, one will strip the case when tightening to the proper torque?

I don't see where anyone has specifically advised others to not replace them. What we've said is that WE don't always replace it.
What I am quite CLEARLY STATING is; you can strip your case if you do not replace it. That the design criteria is not to se a seal, but a crush washer. To keep the plug under a light tension; when properly tightened. Am I guaranteeing it will strip.....no. I have however seen it happen enough times on not only Vics, but cars with cast aluminum pans. To make my message clear. The OP asked a good question, and deserved an accurate answer.

As to inferring.....Sure nobody specifically said. Don't replace it. When you say WE don't always replace it. You are INFERRING that it does not need to be changed. Again....Passing on very bad, and potentially costly advice

·
Registered
131 Posts
The service manual says to "reinstall drain plug with a new seal."

Does that mean the copper washer on the drain plug should be replaced each time that plug is pulled?

My dealers tech says they have never replaced one. (Fairly new shop)
The dealer uses the Victory oil change kit... no? The kit comes with oil, filter, and 2 crush washers. Only 1 washer is needed for Freedom 106 engines.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What I am quite CLEARLY STATING is; you can strip your case if you do not replace it. That the design criteria is not to se a seal, but a crush washer. To keep the plug under a light tension; when properly tightened. Am I guaranteeing it will strip.....no. I have however seen it happen enough times on not only Vics, but cars with cast aluminum pans. To make my message clear. The OP asked a good question, and deserved an accurate answer.

As to inferring.....Sure nobody specifically said. Don't replace it. When you say WE don't always replace it. You are INFERRING that it does not need to be changed. Again....Passing on very bad, and potentially costly advice
How can tightening to the proper torque strip the case if the crush washer is not there? Forgive me for seeming dumb but in my mind, the torque is at the threads and washer or no washer, it's still the same torque. Besides, over tightening can happen with or without the washer.

While it does provide tension, it also acts as a seal. Without it the mating surfaces of the bolt and pan can be slightly irregular (they are not machined surfaces designed to provide an exact sealed match) and therefore, oil can leak. The material of the crush washer is designed to conform to those irrregularities and provide a GOOD SEAL. One needs to have something between the bolt and the pan to provide a proper seal. The crush washer serves that purpose as well as acting as a "lock washer".

·
13,003 Posts
Not sure where the term ( crush washer ) came from.
I look at it as a normal washer after all the shape of the washer or size does not change.
They say use a new washer to prevent problems.

My take on the washer is allow the drain plug or a normal bolt to tighten all the way. If there was no washer the drain plug or bolt could bind up on the existing metal and give you a false feeling of being tight. When it is not.
So the washer allows the bolt to tighten all the way cause the head of the bolt will not dig into the washer.
Every manufacturer cars bikes trucks says to use a new washer as a prevention on false tightened bolt.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
OK, how many of you have now Googled "crush washer" LOL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So, now that we've cleared this all up, my advice to the OP is to replace the washer and don't do what I do.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts