Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not wanting to go to the dealer everytime my XC needs an oil change, I scoured the interwebs and found this...

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/20w-50/129

This is NOT an attempt to stir up an oil debate, simply indicating my intentions.

My local parts store doesn't carry it but can get it in a day for $8.99/qt. They also have Wix filters and there is a conversion for the XC so I am going for it. The oil is a full synthetic, JASO MA2 certified, locally available and cheap.

I will update later with my results/impressions.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
That oil should work just fine. But at that price, why not just get the 4.5quart kit from your dealer and still change your own oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
good but!

a good oil but the noack spec which is burn off is pretty poor, if your bike is broke in 3,000 miles or more may as well use amsoil a real group IV-V synthetic not a legal dino group III as most are. a 10-40 should be good but 20-50 if your in a very hot area or a 50% mix as i intend after break-in. amsoil specs are there to compare

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That oil should work just fine. But at that price, why not just get the 4.5quart kit from your dealer and still change your own oil and filter.
IIRC, the Victory kit has 6 qts. I still have a qt left over from my 1st oil change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get a 4.5 Qt kit now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hmm, good to know. However, that still requires me to drive to the dealer 15 miles away, and I really wanted to try a full synthetic to see if the shifting improves. It's not a problem, but a bit notchy. I also want to see if the valve train noise goes away. I intend to put 3000 miles on this oil and then send it in for a UOA. Also, part of me thinks it a bit fishy that Victory specifies an oil that only they sell. I like to have options.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Why debate about oil in the oil forum, when you can do it somewhere else? :ltr:

Sorry, thread moved to the Oil form, where it belongs, with all the other oily topics. ;)

Give Honda of East Toledo a call for pricing on oil kits to your door. No need to bother your local dealers.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
This is NOT an attempt to stir up an oil debate, simply indicating my intentions.
I think almost all oil threads have this somewhere in the first 3 posts lol

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Shifting will improve and quiet down as you run up miles on the bike. Victory recommends Semi Synthehtic JASO-MA rated oil. They make oil change kits available in 6 quart and 4.5 quart versions. The 4.5 quart kit has been available for a while now.

If you don't want to support your local dealer or the one you purchased the bike from, no problem,. It's your money and you can spend it how you choose to. But if/when you may need an item or an issue warranted, you may do better with the mail order Victory dealer you've chosen to support.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supporting dealers wasn't really the issue. I simply don't want to be tied to a single source for oil change supplies. I get my Mobile1car oil from Costco and my Wix filters from my local APS. Now I have a local source for my bike as well.

BTW, the first 40 miles on the Valvoline 20w50 was very impressive. The valvetrain noises are gone and it shifts smoother and quieter. Time will tell but I'm satisfied so far.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Rant on.

Support my dealer? Like I support Dennys? or Home Depot? Nobody from Polaris is making much effort to throw business my way unless I'm low bidder. That's fair and that's what Victory's (or any) dealer network can expect from me.
The last time Chevrolet and I had business dealings was when I wrote the check for the truck. As long as I do regular maintenance or have it done at any shop of my choice GM is contractually bound to do warranty work. Same with my motorcycles.
I have nothing against dealers making a living but there is no compelling reason to throw them a bone. If a rider is more comfortable having the dealer look after the product that's fine. Comfort and freedom from worry are as much part of the experience as pride of ownership. I get my comfort from doing my own work or looking across the counter at a guy that I can see lives and breathes motorcycles. That guy might be in a showroom with a big backlit V on the wall but just as likely he's in a converted gas station on a side street with a couple Handy lifts.
If the guy with the V gives you better service due to customer loyalty than he gives a Vic owner that does not subscribe to that loyalty, then he's a chiseler. Each bike is a Polaris product and the expectation is that they both get the same treatment.
The guy with the V has parts and lacking somewhere else having better parts or cheaper or quicker he gets my trade.
The guy with the V owes me warranty work. The cost of that was built into the purchase price. After I wrote the check for my bike, I owe the guy with the V nothing.

Rant off. Now returning you to your regularly scheduled oil thread.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
tools-tools-tools

oil changes are a no-brainer very easy and few tools needed and you know its done correctly with the oil of choice, amsoil true group IV-V synthetic oil in my case. many people are prolly still unaware of the fact that almost all oils branded "synthetic" oils are group III dino oils, better than lower group oils but not the superior properties of a man-made group IV or V oil which are without a doubt the BEST for extreme heat as an air-oil cooled motorcycle. other work usually requires a lot of tools $$$$ and is time consuming for "back yard mechanics" but i find it enjoyable and the savings $$$ bought my tools many times over!!!! there are times a dealer or professional independent, my choice are needed

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I rarely go back to the dealer after I have purchased a vehicle except for special parts and warranty work. I do all my own maintenance and any repair work that needs to be done unless I cannot do it. I have been bit in the ass too many times by incompetent maintenance workers at many shops. My dealer also sells ATVs and snowmobiles and such and I am skeptical about the abilities of the mechanics. Also, I did not buy the vehicle there so I do not believe that they would give it the same attention that I would.

The reason that I did not purchase the vehicle from my local dealer is because they could (would) not come even close to the deal that I was offered by a dealer that was 3 hours away. I play the dealers against each other to get the best deal because that's how business is done. But my local dealer wouldn't play. So they lost a sale. But I would not hesitate to take it there for warranty work. Like what was stated, they are contractually bound to do warranty work and I will hold them to task for it.

I realize that 15 miles isn't all that far but I would rather only drive 3 miles and get what I need. also most of those 15 miles are through a large city and the commute is a pain.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
updated info

looks like amsoil is using group III oils in their top of line oils, maybe group III+, from looking at the MSDS and other posters elsewhere, please inform me if you can add to this info

·
12,984 Posts
if you do the Vic oil change yes you have oil you don't use but then one day you have enough left over to do a free oil change.

The trick is not to keep switching oils thats why clutches slip.
Older models have had clutch plates soak in Vic oil for so long that when the switch to a syn they have problems.
When you change oil NO not oil is drained out of clutch plates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts