Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need opinions on if I should change my oil before a 3500 mile ride to sturgis. It has about 1500 miles on it right now, and I will be riding up till I go. The change interval is 5000 miles correct.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
need opinions on if I should change my oil before a 3500 mile ride to sturgis. It has about 1500 miles on it right now, and I will be riding up till I go. The change interval is 5000 miles correct.
That's correct 5000 miles, you've had your 500 mile service I presume.
Up to you, you could change it when you get to Sturgis just to be safe, I presume you're using Victory oil.
Miles are a bit low to go Full Synthetic.
Oil is cheap if you work out how much gas you'll use in 5000 miles running, its but a splash in the pan.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well past the 500 mile mark. The bike Has 37000 miles on it. I will probably change it just to be safe.
I guess I should have specified that it had 1500 miles on the oil not the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I always Change the Oil and Service The Bike Before a Road Trip of more than 2,000 Miles is just Cheap Insurance .. Check Tires, Brake Pads, Lube Cable Ends . Etc..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i normaly do as well, just hate wasteing money. I am always on sucha tight budget these days, need to sell the other 2 bikes to finish paying for this one.

This is probably what I will do. I know the tires are good and pretty sure the brajes are. I will have to check the rear one.

·
13,188 Posts
In Sturgis you'll ride in high heat and a lot of stop and go.
The smart thing to do would change before and when you get back home. Mileage will not be the factor the heat will be

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that is exactly what I plan to do. We will only be in sturgis sunday and monday for a little while. Long enough to talk to a buddy who owns Vicbaggers and to get a shirt form the Vic Tent and what ever Harley stuff my buddy wants to do. Than back home. It will bea long trip from Indiana through nebraska up through cheyenne, rock springs, Jackson, Yellowstone and on in to Sturgis. Than we head back via Iowa.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
In Sturgis you'll ride in high heat and a lot of stop and go.
The smart thing to do would change before and when you get back home. Mileage will not be the factor the heat will be
Yep, that is what I am doing. Although I will have about 3000 miles on this oil by the time I change it before Sturgis (at about 2100 now).

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I think that is exactly what I plan to do. We will only be in sturgis sunday and monday for a little while. Long enough to talk to a buddy who owns Vicbaggers and to get a shirt form the Vic Tent and what ever Harley stuff my buddy wants to do. Than back home. It will bea long trip from Indiana through nebraska up through cheyenne, rock springs, Jackson, Yellowstone and on in to Sturgis. Than we head back via Iowa.
What a great road-trip!...I'm envious

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO, at 1500mi the bike is still in the break'in stage. I'd change the oil and filter before the trip.
I should have noted that this is a 2011 with 37000 miles on it. The current oil change has 1500 miles on it. I am going to change it before i go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts