Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all you experts...

what the correct way to check your oil level...

is it cold or hot...

is it tiltd(on kick stand) or upright...

thanks for all your time, russ

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
warm, upright

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Download Bbob service manual please

Good luck .... Myself i fill it 3/4 from "ADD" line so never untill "FULL" line

There are a lot of treads in this forum regarding oil level, "seach the forum please"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Yup that is the best video ever mate
..... Paul any new video's comming ??

·
12,984 Posts
for all you experts...

what the correct way to check your oil level...

is it cold or hot...

is it tiltd(on kick stand) or upright...

thanks for all your time, russ
so what model bike do you have. What year bike do you have.
All Vic's do not take the same amount of oil

Have you ever read your owners book

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hav an 09 kingpin

i was just sitn here and i thought i would ask...

no never read the manual...

always checkd it cold and upright...

will now check warm and upright...

was just askn a question, thanks for all imput, russ

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
was just askn a question, thanks for all imput, russ
Nuthin wrong with asking a question, especially when you're a nube.

·
12,984 Posts
I have never checked my oil warm or hot.
Don't know what difference it would make.
I'm sure someone here will tell me that when its warm more oil will magically appear

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have never checked my oil warm or hot.
Don't know what difference it would make.
I'm sure someone here will tell me that when its warm more oil will magically appear
VJ, when it is warm, more oil will appear. :ltr:

LOL!

Here is how I check my oil. The 2004 Vegas holds 6 quarts. I change oil/filter and then add a gallon and a half of the new stuff from wally mart... Rotella T6. I screw dip stick in and don't touch it again until time to change @ 5000 miles or IF I happen to see a leak.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Run engine till it's warm, Shut engine off, Straddle bike, Reach down unscrew the dipstick while burning your knuckles, Wipe off the dipstick also while dripping some oil from the dipstick on the hot pipes, Screw the dipstick back in all the way burning your knuckles again, Then unscrew the dipstick and view the oil level while dripping more oil on the hot pipes again... Or just put a piece of 2 by 4 under the kick stand and check it that way... The level need only be at the half way mark.. Not at the full mark...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Run engine till it's warm, Shut engine off, Straddle bike, Reach down unscrew the dipstick while burning your knuckles, Wipe off the dipstick also while dripping some oil from the dipstick on the hot pipes, Screw the dipstick back in all the way burning your knuckles again, Then unscrew the dipstick and view the oil level while dripping more oil on the hot pipes again... Or just put a piece of 2 by 4 under the kick stand and check it that way... The level need only be at the half way mark.. Not at the full mark...
These instructions seem pretty spot on to me ....:D

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I check mine after its changed, my bike don't use oil so no further checking needed....if I did feel the need Id just check it cold.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I checked my oil after some night riding last night. I never check my oil and did it just for the heck of it.

I waited about 3 minutes after getting home. Sat on the seat with bike level, took dip stick out, wiped it off, stuck it in and drilled it in, took it out. It measured 3/4 to full. Perfect!

I believe I have the best Victory bike in this whole forum. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Your Victory is no more of a Victory than my Victory. :D
Well! In 2004 they built mine first thing in the morning when they weren't so tired. It was just bout quitting time on Friday when yours was built... I saw all the stuff you've broken on yours. You shoulda tightened down everything when you first got yours. Only thing I've had to tighten is the top on my sippy cup. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Well! In 2004 they built mine first thing in the morning when they weren't so tired. It was just bout quitting time on Friday when yours was built... I saw all the stuff you've broken on yours. You shoulda tightened down everything when you first got yours. Only thing I've had to tighten is the top on my sippy cup. :D
Got me there it's been a bit of a challenge but it seems to have settled down.

·
12,984 Posts
can't you go to a place and get a 6" piece of 2x4 for nothing i"m guessing and put under kickstand and skip sittin on the bike

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Why even bother? My Penrite container holds 4 litres.
By 2010 Vegas 100/6 holds 4litres at change with a new oil filter.
Ive verified the oil level correct after running and checkibg as per the manual and I didnt burn my hand.
Unless Penrite change the amount of oil in a 4 litre container,
Or my engine breaks an oil ring my oil level is always goung to be correct.
Maybe....just maybe.....after 150,000 miles I may have to start checking my oil between changes and maybe adding a half punt or so to bring it back to full.
Till then I have total faith in the integrity of the engine.

My rear brake is a different story, I bleed it every day or two to get the air out of the rear caliper.
Got a shock reading the workshop manual where it states brake lines should be changed every two years!
Thats the lines the brake fluid runs through!
If rebuilding the rear caliper dont work I will get a local company to fabricate a one piece stainless braided hose to replace the amalgamation of diffrrent materials in the rear brake pipe.
As for engine oil level its sweet till the next decade

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Till then I have total faith in the integrity of the engine.
Mine is still better than yours or vins plus my rear brakes don't have the farts like yours. I had to bleed a little air outta the front tire cause I added a little too much... thats about it! :D

Why don't you get rid of the hydraulic rear brake and just make it a cabled brake... :ltr:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts