Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Hammer, I cked the oil level today and for a first, it was a little low, it came to the bottom line of the 2 that you use. The bike has 18.000 miles on it. Is this normal to use a little oil?thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have a 2008 Hammer, I cked the oil level today and for a first, it was a little low, it came to the bottom line of the 2 that you use. The bike has 18.000 miles on it. Is this normal to use a little oil?thumb up
If it's the first time you checked it, how do you know if it just wasn't filled too low to begin with?

My XR has 12k miles and I haven't noticed any oil use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil consumption???

I bought the bike new and I have changed the oil myself every time. Believe me I take a careful measurment of how much oil I put in the bike. The only oil change I didnt do was the first 500 miles. I always check it several times between changes. It was slightly low ths time?thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I bought the bike new and I have changed the oil myself every time. Believe me I take a careful measurment of how much oil I put in the bike. The only oil change I didnt do was the first 500 miles. I always check it several times between changes. It was slightly low ths time?thumb up
Sounds like I've got 6k more miles left before I need to start adding oil. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Did you check oil first thing before going for a ride or starting the motor or at some other point in the day? The reason I ask is because it can take up to 30 minutes for all the oil to drain back down into the sump where we get the readings from after the motor has been run.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Got a V92 that barely moves off the mark btwn oil changes at 4K, just for info, not oil debate, using Vic 20-40.. I have put 19K on it, has 39K total. I run the piss out of it!

3K on the Vision, hasn't move a bit since I changed the breakin oil out.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I haven't looked in a while, but I know mine has well over 65K miles on it. It has never used a drop of oil.

If it's suddenly drinking oil, the only thing I can think of is a head gasket.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I haven't looked in a while, but I know mine has well over 65K miles on it. It has never used a drop of oil.
and we know how you baby your bike half_crazy:D

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
and we know how you baby your bike half_crazy:D
Yeah, I ride like a girl.

A couple of years ago it started smoking out one pipe and drank 1/2 a quart of oil in 12 miles... head gasket was blown. That was when the engine and trans got completely rebuilt since it had almost 50K miles on it and had to come out of the frame anyway. In reality the new engine only has close to 20K miles... but none of the three engine configurations ever used any oil (stock, 104" big bore, or 110" stroker). These motors are tight on the oil retention thing.

·
13,247 Posts
Are you checking the oil with the bike straight up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never used a drop between 18k on a Kingpin and 24k on a XC great tight bikes, I always thought it was better for the gaskets if the oil was slightly low than high.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Never used a drop between 18k on a Kingpin and 24k on a XC great tight bikes, I always thought it was better for the gaskets if the oil was slightly low than high.
There's something to that. I tip-topped my XCT off when I did the 500mi oil change. I ended up blowing enough oil into the airbox (through crank case breather) that I got some oil leaking from the airbox. I dropped 1/2 qt on the next oil change and stopped parking on sharp inclines and viola! Like Magic. 9k miles and no consumption though.

Time for one last oil change for the winter.
thumb up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts