Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Victory Hammer S with 11K~ miles. The last time I took out my bike to work I picked up some oil burning smell and when I got home I noticed that my oil cooler has started leaking.

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tread

I was going to take it out and bring it to get repaired or see if it can be repaired as a new one seems to be around $480~.. Insane.

It appears relatively easy to disconnect and remove.

If can get it repaired, I'll also purchase an oil cover guard.

Thoughts/advice/suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,959 Posts
Try to fix it or replace it.
Check eBay for used.
Check Vic werks or whatever he is now for used.

New cooler $293. You have to add it to your cart to see actual price on part websites.

Reactions: bsilvers

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you have an old fashioned radiator repair place anywhere around they possibly could tig weld it up. Clean the oil out of it, but don't use brake cleaner.
Has anyone scraped the paint off one to confirm its aluminium?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have an old fashioned radiator repair place anywhere around they possibly could tig weld it up. Clean the oil out of it, but don't use brake cleaner. Has anyone scraped the paint off one to confirm its aluminium?
that is what I was planning to do. I found a couple that repair Oil coolers I was going to call up and see if they are able to repair this one.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Pick your favorite parts website. Need to add to cart to see prices on all of them. Victory parts pro is who I've used in past.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remove it today in preparation in taking it to a radiator/oil cooler repair place on Monday and immediately noticed this. Is this repairable or worth bothering with? I've come to terms with buying a new one, my friend said try JB Weld on it but I might still want to get this checked out. would JB weld be sufficient?

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
No! It is rubb>ng on something so when you put new one in try some foam or piece of heater hose split to keep off frame.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I can't imagine that rubbing from the factory.
Did the oil cooler get bent out of position?
Running aftermarket exhaust?

Someone else with a similar steel frame would have to get pics for comparison.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My cross is really close when I had to change oem exhaust due to a split header. I adjusted (bent) the mount brackets a little for the cooler to get cleared.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't imagine that rubbing from the factory.
Did the oil cooler get bent out of position?
Running aftermarket exhaust?

Someone else with a similar steel frame would have to get pics for comparison.
It has a Bassani exhaust, I bought it used with 3K miles on it and it already had it installed. I don't believe the headers have been changed. I will see if the mounting bracket has any play like djh3 stated. I am thinking about getting some exhaust tape to use to wrap around that sensor bolt. I am not sure how I want to proceed.

Here is a wider shot.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I'd say from seeing that perhaps it was bent inward at some point. Road debris or whatever. Anything is possible without knowing the full history of bike. I don't have the same model but I'm definitely going to check that my oil cooler isn't rubbing on anything. I hope you can get it back together and running soon.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
JB weld will work if you can get it clean enough.
Use a stainless steel brush rather than abrasives to keep from introducing abrasives into the motor.
Use a good detergent rather than solvents to degrease it.
Be certain the detergent is aluminum safe. Dawn dishwashing detergent works well. It’s cheap and available everywhere.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont jb weld it!! unless you need a temporary fix ... it looks like steel put a magnet on it ,bring it to radiator shop they can braze it or silver solder it or tig it if it is alluminum do it right !!! they can tell you what to put between it i would yes a thick piece of fiberglass mat glued to it or ask them!!! good luck ! fix it right

1 - 16 of 16 Posts