Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of an explanation for why the factory didn't incorporate a thermostat into the oil cooler? Simply curious and think this could only be beneficial for a faster warm up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have never seen a thermastat for an oil cooler. Enlighten me. I would think on an air cooled bike the oil will get to operating temp pretty quickly and the oil cooler is just to keep it from getting too hot.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have never seen a thermastat for an oil cooler. Enlighten me. I would think on an air cooled bike the oil will get to operating temp pretty quickly and the oil cooler is just to keep it from getting too hot.
Pretty much covers it right there.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Harley Davidson factory oil coolers have a thermostat that activates at 185 degrees. I guess they have it for a quicker oil warm for winter or real cold conditions if you' r going to take a quick trips around town durring those conditions. Saw a Victory U Tube video that said they had to reduce the original size of their oil cooler due to engine oil not getting to desired temp under the same mentioned conditions. :eek:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most any after market oil cooler that you can purchase has the option of buying a t-stat with it. Lockhart is a mfg. that comes to mind. I've also seen riders put a hood over the oil cooler in cold temps to help the oil reach proper operating temps.. Just an option for more consistent oil temps. for an extended riding season I would figure.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
HD and Star/Yami are both dry sump systems that operate at relativly low pressure. They NEED to warm the oil up in order for it to flow properly. Vic is a wet sump that operates at around 80psi constant, and our oil flows hot or cold against a gearator pump

·
Registered
381 Posts
HD and Star/Yami are both dry sump systems that operate at relativly low pressure. They NEED to warm the oil up in order for it to flow properly. Vic is a wet sump that operates at around 80psi constant, and our oil flows hot or cold against a gearator pump
I guess I have learned something today. Plus... some bikes do have thermastats for the oil cooler. I feel much smarter now! dance 1

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would like to see an oil pump fan - that turns on when the motor gets to a specified high temp. I something like this available? Do you guys think it would help in keeping the temp under control?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
I would like to see an oil pump fan - that turns on when the motor gets to a specified high temp. I something like this available? Do you guys think it would help in keeping the temp under control?
There are a couple of ways you can go on this. Oil cooler fan or what is commonly called a Parade Fan.

http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

·
Registered
436 Posts
There are a couple of ways you can go on this. Oil cooler fan or what is commonly called a Parade Fan.

http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

Thanks for the link. I checked it out, but there are no clear pics of how big the oil cooler fans are, wondering if they will fit - do you know anyone that has put this on a Vic?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Sure don't but fabbing things up on Vic's is the way a lot of things get done. Gotta think of yourself as a pioneer.

Basically though; if it can be done on an HD it can be done on a Vic (most the time).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sure don't but fabbing things up on Vic's is the way a lot of things get done. Gotta think of yourself as a pioneer.

Basically though; if it can be done on an HD it can be done on a Vic (most the time).

It will probably be easier - the battery is right there, not under the seat like most bikes...
This is something on my to-do list - thanks again!

Anyone already do this? If so "jump in"

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts

Why do you need a fan on a VIC?

The engine is going to get hot no matter what. Its a frickin motor!

You would be hard pressed to get a Vic engine to over heat to the point of causing damage.

I personally have never heard of a Vic engine overheating.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm with diamond. What it is the point of putting a fan on an engine that doesn't need one? Manufacturer didn't think it need it one and even though I'm a new Vic owner I haven't heard any over heating problems. So why bother?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Those people that ride their bike in the Pheonix AZ 4th of July parade MIGHT need a fan. the rest of us don't.

Point taken.............I had a Harley years ago and over heating was often on my mind. I have several mods I want on my XR before a cooling fan -- but, I will get there eventually - I am a gadget man - AND plan trips to LA and San Diego this summer - I will get stuck in traffic - it would be nice to flip a switch and not worry about that 106 getting sweaty cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Point taken.............I had a Harley years ago and over heating was often on my mind. I have several mods I want on my XR before a cooling fan -- but, I will get there eventually - I am a gadget man - AND plan trips to LA and San Diego this summer - I will get stuck in traffic - it would be nice to flip a switch and not worry about that 106 getting sweaty cheers
FYI, before you invest in a fan, one day last year I rode my XR in 97-99 °F dry weather, and I was moving mostly in 1st and 2nd gear due to heavy, stop-n-go traffic. I thought if my bike will ever overheat, that was the day. It was a few hot days we get here in So Cal, which come around once a year, and last for no more than a week (we call them the Santa Ana winds).

I thought I was the biggest idiot since nobody else was riding that day. I told myself that everybody with a motorcycle and a brain decided to drive that day, except me. It was a 25 mile ride, but due to traffic, it took me about an hour and 15 min to cover (jammed packed freeway).

The bike did not complain nor show any signs of overheating. Me on the other hand... I was exhausted and hot like a baked potato. Anyway, come ride through CA worry free - no fan needed. ;)

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
VIC11CC

"Those people that ride their bike in the Pheonix AZ 4th of July parade MIGHT need a fan. the rest of us don't."

I think if you take a look at Kevin's post he is basically telling you that a fan is not necessary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts