Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know there is another plug besides WD or Dimple (wont be here soon enough) that will fit the 106 Vic engines? I don't want to use another OEM plug and I have a ride this weekend planned.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Does anyone know there is another plug besides WD or Dimple (wont be here soon enough) that will fit the 106 Vic engines? I don't want to use another OEM plug and I have a ride this weekend planned.
Do you have an auto parts shop nearby? Take it with you and see what they can match up?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the allen part of the plug is stripped out I found it after my dealer told me they forgot to change my oil after having some work done, they said we could sell you a kit. So I fund this while I was attempting this at home, they did the last oil change as well.
Isn't the thread size M12 x 1.5???

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer stripped the Allen recess and 'forgot' to change your oil!
Vics come with an Allen key the correct size and if you tighten it with that by hand youll never have trouble undoing it

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
get a better plug, the vic plug sucks ass!

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
get a better plug, the vic plug sucks ass!
Only for the ham-fisted....never had a drama with mine using the Victory allen key

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i have seen many have issues including myself, snugging mine up(no where near tight) it got loose, hmm stripped the threads at the top of the hole, hmm what to do, looked on my bench, found an old cb750 oil drain plug, screwed right in, tqd down, good to go for three more oil changes, that plug is going to auction now with the bike.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1441206353.632953.jpg

left plug, threads go all the way to thd head, 40yr old drain plug, works great, right plug, threads do not, 3 yr old plug, strips threads out of motor, piece of **** in my book.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
yeah blame the part not the person spannering on it:angel ...right?..yeah sure mate.
its all the bikes fault...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
not the bikes fault, poorly designed plug that doesnt contact all or enough of the threads once installed. i was no where near 1ftlb of tq on it, let alone the 15 that the book tells you to, then to install a real plug and to tighten right up no issue, what else is there to blame?

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Ft lbs inch pounds hey, throw yr tension wrench to the shithouse and use yr hand on the provided Allen key. Unless yr Arnie ya wont be capable of stripping it.
End of story... Operator Error

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
sorry man, not end if story, ive been wrenching for 25yrs, not my first oil change, i use tq wrenches all the time, to tq, i was using my HAND ratchet to start and snug the plug, then was planning to tq it to 10ftlbs once snug, it never snugged, just stripped, so before i fucked it up more i pulled(once again the piece if **** plug) out, found a real plug and tqd it to 10ftlbs no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have seen many have issues including myself, snugging mine up(no where near tight) it got loose, hmm stripped the threads at the top of the hole, hmm what to do, looked on my bench, found an old cb750 oil drain plug, screwed right in, tqd down, good to go for three more oil changes, that plug is going to auction now with the bike.
View attachment 152026

left plug, threads go all the way to thd head, 40yr old drain plug, works great, right plug, threads do not, 3 yr old plug, strips threads out of motor, piece of **** in my book.
The plug on the right is actually a better design as the threads are relieved at the shoulder so there is no radius in the corner to prevent a good seal. This is the method taught in trade schools and makes for a better fit.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The plug on the right is actually a better design as the threads are relieved at the shoulder so there is no radius in the corner to prevent a good seal. This is the method taught in trade schools and makes for a better fit.

once you put the crush washer on the left one it threaded right in, tqd right up, where the "Better one" stripped my drain, i guess to each his/her own, i wont use the vic plug again, after me personally having troubles, and seeing so many others also, i have told many what i did when they have posted having issues, many fixed the same way i did, by getting a different drain plug and screwing it right in.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i torque to spec + apply blue locktite, no issues. i recently bought the overpriced "dimple" magnetic plug, going in with the season end oil change

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
45 years for me on the spanners and I only use a torque wrench for heads, big ends and mains.
Only 'troubles' Ive seen in here are from inexperience or torque wrench use.
If you insist on blaming the plug thats your choice.
I choose the Victory plug and the provided Victory Allen key.
Fingers all the way till it seats then swing on the Allen key by hand.
No problem.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
i torque to spec + apply blue locktite, no issues. i recently bought the overpriced "dimple" magnetic plug, going in with the season end oil change
Never heard anyone using loctite on the drain plug....
Use a GOOD quality allen wrench on the plug and you won't have any problems (and stay away from shady dealers)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would also recommend good wrenches. All are not created equal. You are more likely to strip out the socket head with cheap hex keys, or Allen wrenches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts