Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some one please explain the filter pressure relief? I see AMSoils relief is 25#'s. Isn't our oil pressure at least 3 X's higher?

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Most pressurized lubrication systems incorporate an overpressure relief valve to allow oil to bypass the filter if its flow restriction is excessive, to protect the engine from oil starvation. Filter bypass may occur if the filter is clogged or the oil is thickened by cold weather. The overpressure relief valve is frequently incorporated into the oil filter. Filters mounted such that oil tends to drain from them usually incorporate an anti-drainback valve to hold oil in the filter after the engine (or other lubrication system) is shut down. This is done to avoid a delay in oil pressure buildup once the system is restarted; without an anti-drainback valve, pressurized oil would have to fill the filter before travelling onward to the engine's working parts. This situation can cause premature wear of moving parts due to initial lack of oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but, I guess my question wasn't clear. Off the top of my head I don't know for sure, but let's say the working oil pressure in our engine is 90#'s, the relief on the filter is 25#'s. How does oil ever get to the engine and how does the engine ever get the 90#'s working pressure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts