Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of info on oil but what oil filter do most people use?
I got a great deal on Vic oil change kits for the first 25,000 miles when I bought my XC, but that is gone and on the last 4.5 quarts I bought a Puralator Pur1 gold filter.
After seeing a post from someone not to use this I decided to ask

What do you use?

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
Red,
Search the many oil threads where filters were discussed, you will learn a lot there. One thing you'll learn is to avoid the discount store filters such as Purolator and Fram unless you hate your engine and are wishing it an early death. I got turned on to the supirior NAPA Gold 1356 by reading those threads. NAPA stores are everywhere, so that filter is easy to find.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
NAPA & Carquest filters are both made by WIX filters which are very good filters.----Some parts stores will give you a great price if you just ask about it. Try saying you are going to the competition , because you can get a better price. Sometimes it works,if not you just got to pay what they ask.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Opinions are like *%&holes, everyones got one especially with oil, filters and darksiding. I think Wix or any other name they manufacture for would the best regular type filters you can get. If you want the best go this route.

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

It's more about having the best performance filter vs it being about saving money because it's re-usable because it would take a long time to even break even to buy it soley as a cost savings.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
+1 on the K&P has a magnet inside . All my bikes and my truck . Never a problem using them excellent product . Witch doctors is having a group buy on them . Give Jon a call.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just add a rare earth magnet to the outside of my filter. Usually go with a Wix filter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Opinions are like *%&holes, everyones got one especially with oil, filters and darksiding. I think Wix or any other name they manufacture for would the best regular type filters you can get. If you want the best go this route.

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

It's more about having the best performance filter vs it being about saving money because it's re-usable because it would take a long time to even break even to buy it soley as a cost savings.
Are the K&P the same as these PC Racing ? They look identical.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are the K&P the same as these PC Racing ? They look identical.
They do look similar, and probably function the same. I've used the PC Racing one for over 3 years now and it still looks like new. Takes about 5 minutes to clean it, then let it dry while I finish pouring the used oil into my recycle container.
It comes with an extra seal ring and you can purchase more seals cheaply. I change the ring once a year just because.

Another plus of the reusable is it's one less used filter and oil contaminates possibly in a landfill somewhere.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What size magnet do you use? Kind of interesting on the magnet. Also,what number on the wix filter?
I use NAPA which is a rebadged WIX filter. Any automotive filter for a 2005 Mazda RX-8 will fit.
The NAPA filter I use is: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL1365_0274110884

The WIX filter is :http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51365

Same filter and similar part number.

The magnet is one I had sitting in my tool box. If you need one you can find one here. http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/category/117

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use NAPA which is a rebadged WIX filter. Any automotive filter for a 2005 Mazda RX-8 will fit.
The NAPA filter I use is: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL1365_0274110884

The WIX filter is :http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51365

Same filter and similar part number.

The magnet is one I had sitting in my tool box. If you need one you can find one here. http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/category/117
You might want to be careful where you're putting those magnets as they could trap metal inside of filter reducing it's effectiveness.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where do you put the magnet on the filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the Idea of these SS reusable oil filters and see many benefits, having said that, I have yet to see any actual side by side test of oils, after using one of these compared to a paper /fiber filter. I question if these filter/absorb some of the very fine contaminates as well as a paper/fiber. When I was researching these, I was questioning why I have not seen any actual test of oils by these manufactures showing their efficiency. If anyone has, please point them out.

-Safe journeys

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like the Idea of these SS reusable oil filters and see many benefits, having said that, I have yet to see any actual side by side test of oils, after using one of these compared to a paper /fiber filter. I question if these filter/absorb some of the very fine contaminates as well as a paper/fiber. When I was researching these, I was questioning why I have not seen any actual test of oils by these manufactures showing their efficiency. If anyone has, please point them out.

-Safe journeys
Good point, listed under FAQ at K&P Engineering:

" 4) How does this type of filtration compare to paper oil filters?

We use ASTMF316 testing procedures which eliminate many of the user variables found in the SAE procedures. Basically, the filter media is pressurized from one side, and when the media starts passing particles, that is the micron rating. We sent filter media from several common brands of paper filters to the lab to be run through the ASTM test. We sent the media to the lab with no names, just numbers for identification so they wouldn't have any idea what brand filter they were testing. The results for the paper filters ranged from 48 microns for the best filter to over 300 microns for the worst filter. Our tests were right in line with other testing results we have researched that have paper media filters passing particles anywhere between 50 and 90 microns. What does this mean? Paper filters are rated on averages, percentages of efficiency (also known as beta ratios) and multiple passes, so a 10 micron rated paper filter (as advertised on the packaging) may be letting particles 50 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is consistent across the entire media surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material. The bottom line is we meet or exceed the filtration performance of OEM filters, eliminating any warranty issues."

·
Registered
298 Posts
JMHO here. Use whatever oil and filter you choose. The best of both will get you, for sake of discussion, let's say a 150k engine before it start to use oil, etc. Use the cheap stuff and you're only gonna get 125-130k. The trick I think is to keep them both changed on some semblance of a regular basis:). Everyone has their own thoughts & opinions on this stuff. But who do you know of personally that has had engine failure or problems due to their choice of oil and/or filter - in anything from a lawnmower to an automobile? Just sayin'....................;)

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
Roadrocket.....There is some truth to what you say, but for two things....
+ You want to use an oil with a JASO-MA or MA2 rating so its compatible with wet clutches.
+ And you want an oil filter with a micron rating that will strain out things smaller than small rocks andpebbles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you really want a magnet go FilterMag RA250. When you change oil take the filter apart and see how much metal has been going thru your system. And it mounts on the bottom, and do NOT get your fingers between the magnet and the filter when attaching it. When taking it off slide it straight back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you really want a magnet go FilterMag RA250. When you change oil take the filter apart and see how much metal has been going thru your system. And it mounts on the bottom, and do NOT get your fingers between the magnet and the filter when attaching it. When taking it off slide it straight back.
Wow- $65.00 for a magnet. I am interested in the idea of a magnet on the oil filter,but I don't know if i'm $65 dollar interested! More of a rare earth $5.00 magnet interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts