Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks like my 2012 cross country takes the exact same oil filter as my meanstreak did ph6017a. so it would also use the 7317 as well. now to find a semi synth oil.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Psycho...stay away from the "always on sale" filters such as Purolator and Fram and any other bottom of the line ones. Most here use WIX 51356 or 51358 and NAPA Gold 1356 or 1358.
Why semi syn oil? Many here use Rotella T-6; its long lasting (more than 8K miles worth) and JASO MA2 rated. There are often good rebates to be had on it too, making it one of the cheapest good oils you can buy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Some info

Collected this when I changed my oil and had to get a filter. My dealer tends to have a bad case of "we can order "it" so I put together this list (prices may or may not be good):

Oil Filter
20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket, 3.5" long. These all use synthetic media and accordion wrap.
• * Purolator ML 16851,
• WIX 51356 or 51356XP , $7.99/O’Reilly’s
• Mobil 1 M1-110, $12.__/Advance
• Bosch 3323, $13.__/Advance
• NAPA PFL 41365
• Super-Tech ST7317, $2
• Polaris 3084963 - $8.54
• K & N – 198 - $13.99

Motor Oil - 20W - 40
• Rotella T6 5W-40, synthetic, $23.99/Advance
• Lucas Synthetic SAE 20W-50 - $
• Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic, $9.49
• Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 - $11.99
• Mobil1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil? Not enough information
• Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic, $10.90
• Castrol V-Twin Power RS Semi-Synthetic 20W-50 - (#8178) - $8.99
• Castrol ACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Semi-Synthetic (#558754) – 1 gal $23.99
• Rotella T5 semi-synthetic (silver jug-4qts) - $16
• Victory Semi-Synthetic 20W-40

Oil Drain Plug: M12 x 1.5mm
Oil Drain Plug Washers: 12mm ID x 19mm OD x 1.3mm thick - copper crush washers
p.s Same washer that is used on Toyota R22
NAPA - bag of 25 Price $6.00
http://www.conquestcustoms.com-Drain Plug Crush Washer REFILL KIT - Dozen - Price $6.00
http://buywitchdoctors.com-5 Pack Oil Drain Plug Washers - Item # DP-WASH - Price $ 4.25

Air Filter
POLARIS VICTORY - Part # 7080858 - $59.99
K&N - Part # PL-1500 - $52.95

*Stay away from the Purolator Pure One oil filter. It is a very good filter but it may be too restrictive for the Victory engine for oil flow. Vic runs at Higher Oil pressure than the puro was designed for.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now thats the kinda info i like to see thanks a bunch. i did write the list down.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I Opt for Easy

That's good info that @RoteBaron posted, not knocking it.

However, almost from the start I've been using K&N 198 for my 2012 XCT, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NAP2D6 (and I'm a Prime member, anyway, for free shipping). This was announced back around then with a joint press release, i.e., it's certainly approved by Vic.

The reason I use the K&N product -- and on other bikes, too, not just the Vic -- is because of the nut on the end (of the filter ... I'm not talking about myself). It just makes it a pleasure to remove the filter, vs. a strap or buying an appropriate filter surround-for-a-ratchet gizmo (or, in olden days, a screwdriver punched through a filter -- been there, done that).

I mean, I change the oil once or twice a year, so I'm not going to go crazy about searching for the cheapest price of pretty low-cost maintenance items. I'll stick with easiest, for this situation. (And I've shipped some used oil to Blackstone a couple times, so it's not as if I'm oblivious to quality concerns.) That's my story.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
K&N filters on both my vics,

OIL in Jackpot = Victory Oil

OIL in CCT = RedLine / SAE 15W40 / Diesel motor oil / JASO DH-1 & global DHD-1

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
308 Posts
K&N is a great choice. I'm kind of a cheap bastard but I may have to do that myself

Long may you ride!

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Mobil1 M-110

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
When its time for an oil change I pop into my local AutoZone or Wally World and pick up 5qts of Rotella T6 5w-40 and a K&N 198 filter. I also keep a tube of molly lube on hand...don't forget to lube up those clutch cable ends every oil change.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
K+N no more

most K+N oil filters are cheap imports, HI=Flo #'s matched for my kawi K+N 3 times the price as the same HI-Flo!!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I found this in the '16 XCT owners manual...interesting!

Engine Oil Recommendation
Polaris recommends the use of only VICTORY Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 oil, Synthetic 15W-
oil or an equivalent oil designed for use with wet clutches (such as those with a JASO MA
rating).

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
569 Posts
look who makes those products! but note the or equivalent!!!! there are many better + most are less costly!!!!
What I found interesting is the addition of the 15w-60, seems to validate the theory that anything between 10w-40 and 20w-60, JASO-MA oil is good.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
What I found interesting is the addition of the 15w-60, seems to validate the theory that anything between 10w-40 and 20w-60, JASO-MA oil is good.
Funny thing is Vic oil isn't JASO-MA. I'll give you a $1.00 if you can show me where it's at.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
riding temperature

the temps you expect to ride in should factor into your choice, 20w xx is to slow to flow in the cold + a xx w 50 is better in the heat! who knows what any Vic lubricant is, no spec so they can buffalo you into buying it!!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
WOW Never saw the 15w60? Man thats thick, maybe for those folks in Phoenix or something. It gets hot here in Fla but from the chart I saw in the owners manual 20w50 is plenty good above 90+ I would have to imagine that a motorcycle company oil is JASmo spec. But as mentioned there are plenty more out there and less expensive. HD trys to bully their folks into "specially designed" oil for them things. This bike uses the same filters as my RSV did. I used Purolator gold filters for years, then out of the blue myself and other Yamaha owners experienced oil leaks. Turned out Purolator and some others changed the design of the mount. So after some experimentation, the Wix filters work fine. I'll have to look the number up if anyone is interested. I use the longer filter as opposed to the short ones. More filter are has to be good rite?
Rotella T6 is my go to and mobil 1 either 10w40 or 20w50 v-twin in summer. I have run some motorcycle oil made by one of the outboard motor companies I got at Wally World to. It was 20W50

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
not really

in reality a light 60w can also be rated as a 50w on the heavier side of the spectrum. another thing oil viscosities are tested for classification @ 40C + 100C with mineral oils like the 15-60 fake "synthetic" that it is it continues to thin as our engines heat oil in excess of 100C aka 212F, but real synthetic oils aka Redline with a high natural viscosity thins at a much slower rate + its thickening below the 40C is even slower for better cold flow. thats just the tip of the oilburg!!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts