Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question here. One of the guys I ride with has a HD. When he goes to lower the air pressure on his rear shock he said the book tells you to add a couple of pumps of air before letting any out to clear any oil out of the line. He ask if my Vic said to do the same thing. I don't recall reading anything about this. Do any of you guys know anything?

Next thought is would it hurt or be a good idea to add some oil (like air tool oil) in the line to allow it to lube the seals inside the shock?

·
13,262 Posts
never heard or read that on a h-d. Guess what there saying if there is oil in the line it will push in back in.
Have heard of h-d guys putting in different oil to change the ride

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes... Before you let air out of an air shock you should pump a few pounds in, Or you'll lose oil.. Also you should be using a NO loss air pump only...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Never heard of such. Is the HD shock serviceable? The Vic one is not, a one piece unit that has to be replaced when it starts leaking oil (like mine did).

·
13,262 Posts
Why do you want to add oil.
You can bet the oil that's in the shock is heaver then that tool oil your going to add.
Why not put more air in the shock

·
13,262 Posts
Yes there is oil in the shock.

Here is one for all the thinkers.
There is no service intervals for the shock and it goes up and down as much as the front end.
So why do we service the fork oil in the front end and do nothing with the shock.
So is the rear shock superior

1 - 12 of 12 Posts