Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've noticed that my 2012 CC seems to leak oil from a spot on the engine case. Each time I clean it off and go for a short ride it comes back with a very small smear of oil. See the picture. Where could this be coming from? Is this as simple as tightening up some bolts to stop it or do I need to bring it to the dealer for warranty work?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It looks like it is coming out of your primary. Download the service manual and find the torque specs for the bolts that hold the cover on and check them. Also make sure you are not putting too much oil when you do change the oil.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If it happens to my '12, I'll torque the primary bolts to spec, buy a new primary gasket, and keep an eye on the leak. If it continues I'll keep up with it until the next oil change and then swap it out. If it stops from torquing I'll check torque at oil changes.
Whether you use it now or later it' s a good deal having a spare primary gasket hanging around.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil was changed by a dealer at the 600 mile service before I bought it. When I bought it I checked the oil level and it was correct.

I'll check the primary bolt torque.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
If still under warranty; let the dealership take care of it.

If i remember right; the last time I tried to buy a primary gasket they told
me I had to buy an entire kit. Hopefully that has changed by now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I had the bike to the dealer for a couple other minor things I had them take a peek at this. They think it just needed the primary bolts torqued, as others have suggested. That seemed to do the trick, judging by the lack of oil seepage after my 50 mile ride home.

Rob

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I would make sure you do not have too much oil in there as well. My "dealer" did my first oil change and put about 3/4 a quart to much. I rode the 80 miles back to my house on the interstate only to find a mess of oil all down the primary and saddlebags. I never let others work on my vehicles but I did on this one because I had it thrown in that they would do the 500 mile service. The best thing you can do if you are able is to work on your own bike and keep it away from the dealership.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would make sure you do not have too much oil in there as well. My "dealer" did my first oil change and put about 3/4 a quart to much. I rode the 80 miles back to my house on the interstate only to find a mess of oil all down the primary and saddlebags. I never let others work on my vehicles but I did on this one because I had it thrown in that they would do the 500 mile service. The best thing you can do if you are able is to work on your own bike and keep it away from the dealership.
When I bought the bike and got it home that was one of the first things I checked. It is at the correct level. And I do almost all of my own work (including things like adjusting the valves on my VTX and rebuilding my forks) but since this bike is under warranty and I needed to bring it to the dealer for the pipe calibration flash I figured I'd just mention it to them and get it on the record in case it becomes a long-term issue in the future.

Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
To re-awaken this thread I have a question regarding my 2012 CCT. Since I bought the bike a little over a year ago it's had an oil seepage leak coming from between the fins where the head meets the cylinder. From reading different threads it appears like it could be the porous head issue and I haven’t had any luck getting a dealer around here to provide any advice on it (granted I haven’t been pushing the issue either since it’s more of an annoyance than a problem). However, when I began to leave for work this morning I had a more distressing oil leak, immediately behind the kickstand I had a puddle of oil about 8” around and since I was leaving for work I didn’t have a chance to investigate further. Needless to say, the best riding weather we’ve had in over a month and I’m cage bound
:mad::(.
Anyway, it doesn’t say what this particular oil leak turned out to be, can anyone say whether or not it was just loosened primary bolts or a primary gasket which failed? Is it common (relatively) for primary gaskets to just suddenly fail or for bolts to suddenly loosen? The amount of oil which leaked gives me concern as it wasn’t a “dime” spot or seepage but a full blown oil puddle. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
611 Posts
To re-awaken this thread I have a question regarding my 2012 CCT. Since I bought the bike a little over a year ago it's had an oil seepage leak coming from between the fins where the head meets the cylinder. From reading different threads it appears like it could be the porous head issue and I haven’t had any luck getting a dealer around here to provide any advice on it (granted I haven’t been pushing the issue either since it’s more of an annoyance than a problem). However, when I began to leave for work this morning I had a more distressing oil leak, immediately behind the kickstand I had a puddle of oil about 8” around and since I was leaving for work I didn’t have a chance to investigate further. Needless to say, the best riding weather we’ve had in over a month and I’m cage bound
:mad::(.
Anyway, it doesn’t say what this particular oil leak turned out to be, can anyone say whether or not it was just loosened primary bolts or a primary gasket which failed? Is it common (relatively) for primary gaskets to just suddenly fail or for bolts to suddenly loosen? The amount of oil which leaked gives me concern as it wasn’t a “dime” spot or seepage but a full blown oil puddle. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Where the oil is on the ground is kind of irrelevant, you need to figure out where it came out of. Get under the bike and look for wet spots, then trace them back to the source. Oil can travel a VERY long way before it drips off of something. My guess is it's coming from your drain plug which is either loose or leaking due to a bad or reused crush washer.

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Yes agree, clean your bike, start her up and look for the leak .... Thats a winner

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where the oil is on the ground is kind of irrelevant, you need to figure out where it came out of. Get under the bike and look for wet spots, then trace them back to the source. Oil can travel a VERY long way before it drips off of something. My guess is it's coming from your drain plug which is either loose or leaking due to a bad or reused crush washer.
I only had a few minutes to look at it this evening but I've determined its not the plug or oil filter. Its dripping off the shifter shaft from out of the primary but I can't tell if it starts there or ends there. I'll try to attach pics tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this same thing pop up on a road trip once. Long story short, after 2 days and a bunch of incorrect diagnoses by the dealer (including a blown head gasket!) it turned out the crank case breather ventilation tube was loose. Not sure if that's your issue but its an easy thing to check as I learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me in Scottsdale this year at bike week. We woke up after only a few hrs sleep to head out on a ride.... I was the last one into the garage of the rental house. My buddies where all getting geared up and I noticed a pretty significant oil piddle. After some cursing and swearing my buddies started laughing profusely and informed me it was last nights olive oil that we cooked a bunch of steaks in. Not funny! Fuckin HD riders.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me in Scottsdale this year at bike week. We woke up after only a few hrs sleep to head out on a ride.... I was the last one into the garage of the rental house. My buddies where all getting geared up and I noticed a pretty significant oil piddle. After some cursing and swearing my buddies started laughing profusely and informed me it was last nights olive oil that we cooked a bunch of steaks in. Not funny! Fuckin HD riders.
I would have been apeshit mad at them, but I definitely would have been able to laugh it off afterwards. At least they have a good sense of humor. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had this same thing pop up on a road trip once. Long story short, after 2 days and a bunch of incorrect diagnoses by the dealer (including a blown head gasket!) it turned out the crank case breather ventilation tube was loose. Not sure if that's your issue but its an easy thing to check as I learned the hard way.
Jr, did this problem lead to a puddle on the ground while sitting static and cold? I had heard it could be the culprit of the oil on top of the primary but I hadn't heard it could lead to a static leak. I've only had the bike for a year (got it with 18K miles on it) and I've put 20k miles on it since without any issue other than the annoying oil leak on top of the primary, until now. This leak has me concerned as it's definitely a leak (puddle on the ground kind of leak). I cleaned up under the bike before heading to work yesterday, by last night I had a 4 - 5 inch puddle of oil under the bike. Will let everyone know what I find when I find it that's for sure.

UPDATE: Friday 14 Aug - After a little snooping under the bike last night the leak is coming from the seal around the shifter shaft has started leaking like a sieve. Heading to the dealership to get all the replacement gaskets/parts necessary to remove the transmission cover and replace that seal. A $1.35 seal is going to cost ~$120 to fix, could have been worse ... much much worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Final update 17 Aug - After further inspection (and more looking at past forum entries) I have found the cause of my headache and it's definitely the shaft seal around the shifter shaft. It seems these seals have been known to occasionally vibrate out of seat and leak. As I looked closely I noticed the seal itself is working just fine but it was extended out of its seat, I ordered a new one (none of the dealers around me carry it) but in the interim I pushed the seal back into seat and suddenly no more oil on the ground. My advice to everyone is to simply check this seal when you do your next oil change, it should be flush with the case. If the seal shows a shoulder on it (I'll add pics later, I forgot to take a before picture) press it back into place before you get a leak. Replacing this seal is all of a 5 - 10 minute job. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone I appreciate it. Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Good job on finding the problem and fixing it ..... Ride safe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts