Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Cross Country Tour.
It has about 4,000 miles on it. Since about 1,000 miles I have noticed oil on the top of the primary case. It isn't leaking from the primary cover gasket, because the oil is spots on the primary cover and at least one inch or more from the gasket on the primary case. It looks like oil just spits out somewhere. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the wire that is coming out of the front of the primary cover. It also doesn’t appear to be oil leaking from the oil cooler which is in front of the starter. It seems to me like oil from an oil breather line. I don’t see any oil anywhere around that spot. Has anyone else had this problem?

After more investigation, I found oil on top of the ignition coil behind the key switch. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the crank case breather tube since that is further back towards the rear of the bike and also that looks clean. I’m getting closer but I still can’t find out where the oil is coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 Cross Country Tour.
It has about 4,000 miles on it. Since about 1,000 miles I have noticed oil on the top of the primary case. It isn't leaking from the primary cover gasket, because the oil is spots on the primary cover and at least one inch or more from the gasket on the primary case. It looks like oil just spits out somewhere. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the wire that is coming out of the front of the primary cover. It also doesn’t appear to be oil leaking from the oil cooler which is in front of the starter. It seems to me like oil from an oil breather line. I don’t see any oil anywhere around that spot. Has anyone else had this problem?

After more investigation, I found oil on top of the ignition coil behind the key switch. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the crank case breather tube since that is further back towards the rear of the bike and also that looks clean. I’m getting closer but I still can’t find out where the oil is coming from.

Take it to the dealer, its under warantee, no?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '11 XR. Was told the factory sometimes leaves a "lip" that can cause seeping along that edge. It amounted to removing the primary cover, filing down the edge and replacing the gasket. It was covered under warrantee. What WAS NOT covered was the oil that had to be replaced. Put it off until the next oil change and you are good to go.

Why doesn't Ma Vic pay for oil when it needs to be drained for a service? Got me.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got almost 3500 miles on mine and it has been doing the EXACT same thing for about the last 1000 miles. I didn't overfill it at last oil change...the service guy said I'd have to bring it in so they could dig into it.

It's NOT the case cover gasket. It doesn't lose much oil at all. Oil is definitely coming from up high (air box perhaps). My shop is booked up until early September, so we'll see then.

The service manager said I should be ok to ride it as long as it didn't suffer performance wise, and provided a kept an eye on the oil level. He said if there are any serious issues just take advantage of the roadside assistance. I don't plan on parking it, that's for sure!

Let me know what's up if you make it by the shop before I do. We'll compare notes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The problem was I had 1/2 quart over filled on the oil ?
i made this same mistake when i changed my oil for the first time. with a new filter, my bike takes 4 qts. Not 4.5 as per the manual.

don't ask me why they want us to overfill our engines!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts