1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
Hard to tell where it's coming from.

Can only be one of two things there: it's either the front pulley
seal/O ring or the O ring on the gear position sensor.

Anybody had either one go? It's still under warranty so off to the shop it goes tomorrow. BTW, I just changed the oil in the last two weeks and it wasn't leaking then.

·
12,983 Posts
wonder if its dripping down from the frame where the blow by hose hooks up to

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
Is it possible some oil spilled over the oil fill area and blew backwards to the area when you rode the bike? Can you trace it to the oil fill spout at all?

There are chemicals you can put in the oil that show up under a black light to help trace where it's coming from. It's under warranty though so if it isn't overflow or something like that; they should cover it. Is the belt too tight by chance. If so; it could cause a front pulley seal to go bad.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
Take some oil out, clean that up, and then watch it.
Why would he want to take oil out Dill? Are you thinking he may have over filled it?

I do agree with cleaning up the oil stain with carb cleaner and maybe flush with water to help find the source.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wonder if its dripping down from the frame where the blow by hose hooks up to
Is it possible some oil spilled over the oil fill area and blew backwards to the area when you rode the bike? Can you trace it to the oil fill spout at all?

There are chemicals you can put in the oil that show up under a black light to help trace where it's coming from. It's under warranty though so if it isn't overflow or something like that; they should cover it. Is the belt too tight by chance. If so; it could cause a front pulley seal to go bad.
Why would he want to take oil out Dill? Are you thinking he may have over filled it?

I do agree with cleaning up the oil stain with carb cleaner and maybe flush with water to help find the source.
yep maybe
something happened since the oil change.
VJ..I hadn't thought of that..I looked and I'd have to say no it doesn't look like it.

BBob..No chance I spilled any oil, I used a funnel and am really anal. I am a professional mechanic and I actually do have a leak detection kit. However, you have to drop the exhaust to pull the pulley cover after running it and it's under warranty so off to the dealer it goes. It's not worth my time. On the note of the detection kits, you put the detection fluid in the engine, coolant, wherever, and run them. You then use a UV light and it lights right up. You can do the same thing with baby powder as well....clean it up...spritz some around run it and it'll show you the leak.
The belt tension is perfect.

Dill, no overfill here. I use a graduated cup to measure exactly the half quart. I think it just happened and had nothing to do with the oil change.

Thanks for the advice. As soon as I hear from the dealer I'll update.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
When I change my oil, I let the bike drain for 10 minutes or so on the sidestand, with the dipstick out, oil plug out, and filter off. Then, I get on it, and rock it sideways back and forth -- as far over each way as I'm comfortable holding it -- three or four times each way. More oil definitely comes out, not a huge amount, but noticeable.

I split my oil changes between 9 quarts, i.e., 4 and a half each time. (I use the see-through gradations on the quart container for the half-quart.) And then, with the bike upright (in a wheel chock), I run it for a minute or two, wait the specificed 3 - 5 minutes, and check the dipstick.

I mention all this because the level's always then right at the top of the full mark. So my point is that -- at least for my oil changes -- if I didn't rock the bike sideways -- putting 4.5 quarts in would result in the oil's being higher than the full mark... and so maybe overflow would come into play.

Incidentally, I've never had any overflow problems, at least that I'm aware of. 32K miles on my '12 XCT.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
You bring up some good points Bill. Getting as much of the old oil out as possible will sure make the new oil less contaminated.

Another simple way to check the oil is to simply use you handy wheel chock or bike jack to hold the bike straight up overnight. You won't get a better reading from the dipstick than that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I am a professional mechanic
LOL! Seems like every time you guys work on something, another problem pops up...

Honestly! The spot looked so minimal, I'd had just monitored it and rode it like you stole it.

I've had small mystery leaks on all my bikes and just rode the crap out of them.

The only thing I know that leaks A LOT is my checking account and that began after I said I DO. :grin

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Yeah Dill I wouldnt even call it a leak!
My old XS650 used to leave oil whenever it was stopped anywhere.....last big poker run I went on I got a fine and a defect notice for my oil leak :)

·
12,983 Posts
I have read many times where the Rylan and Kevinx all have said do 4 and 1/4 not 4 and 1/2. Don't remember why but thats what they said.
In one of Rylan's video he say in stead of screwing the dip stick in.
Just stick the dip stick in. the distance is the same but in reverse.
I think he says it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqbvkO5EO8

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL! Seems like every time you guys work on something, another problem pops up...

Honestly! The spot looked so minimal, I'd had just monitored it and rode it like you stole it.

I've had small mystery leaks on all my bikes and just rode the crap out of them.

The only thing I know that leaks A LOT is my checking account and that began after I said I DO. :grin
Trust me...the picture didn't do it justice. By the time I got to the dealer 12 miles or so away it was dripping. I'm thinking the pulley seal went. I'll know later today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seal behind the pulley let go. Parts are on order, I'll have her back in about 7 days. S^!t happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts