Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out riding my Oil light started flashing. I stopped at nearest gas station and added a quart....took of riding again and it started flashing again.....( only at speeds above 60 )...Headed home...light quit flashing. Has anyone had this happen ? I do need to change oil in it. The oil doesn't look bad.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Any idea why it was a quart low?

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
And AFTER you added a quart..... The bike had a low oil flashing light again? Never heard that before.... So where is the oil mark on the dipstick Now ¿

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
try changing the oil filter first. That's the cheapest thing to troubleshoot, and sometimes filters block and make the gauges go wonky.

It's also possible the sending unit is bad. Both of those possibilities are preferable to the oil pump being bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know why I was a quart low...Just wondering where is the oil sending unit.... Last year I broke the drive belt, and the neutral light has not worked since then. Could the belt have hit some wires and cause this ?

·
12,984 Posts
do you know you check the oil with the bike standing straight up. You screw the dipstick until it seats and the unscrew it.
if you lay on the ground on the left side and look at the oil filter just to the left on the back edge of motor is the oil sending unit. It has a black slide on connector. Some model came with a rubber boot over it.
It only takes one drop of water to short it out

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My Bike is a 2006 V92 TC....... Yes It was standing straight up when I checked oil ... and I seated the dipstick to pull it back out....

I plan on changing oil this weekend

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
My Bike is a 2006 V92 TC....... Yes It was standing straight up when I checked oil ... and I seated the dipstick to pull it back out....

I plan on changing oil this weekend
A quart is a lot to be down, how long since it'd last been changed how many miles since it was on the full mark?
If it's not leaking it must be burning...excessive smoke?
Oily spark plugs? Compression test may be in order...
How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to say this but its been about 3 years since an oil change.......Maybe 3-4000 on oil change...No leaks...nothing on floor

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
FYI that sender plugs into a passage that sees a MINIMUM of 40PSI, and it is a 5PSI switch. If that light is flickering, and you are not hearingt engine noise. It is not due to the need for a oil change. It is one of three things
1] Loose connection at switch
2] Wire from switch melted to exhaust[common on TC]
3] Bad switch.
If that light ever comes on while riding, and it is actually low pressure. The engine is already trashed.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
And AFTER you added a quart..... The bike had a low oil flashing light again? Never heard that before.... So where is the oil mark on the dipstick Now?
You realize that the low oil light is not oil LEVEL warning, right?
It's an oil PRESSURE warning. It comes on when there is no oil PRESSURE. It has nothing to do with how much oil is in the there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You realize that the low oil light is not oil LEVEL warning, right?
It's an oil PRESSURE warning. It comes on when there is no oil PRESSURE. It has nothing to do with how much oil is in the there.
Yes I know that.....If the oil is to low to pick up the oil light will come on....This isn't my first rodeo....:wink

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Yes I know that.....If the oil is to low to pick up the oil light will come on....This isn't my first rodeo....:wink
I quoted what BP6666VR said about putting oil in and still having the light.

As Kevin said, if the oil pressure light is on because the oil pressure is that low, your engine is already hurt and you would hear a bunch of racket. If it doesn't sound like someone shaking a can of rocks, it's probably a false alert from the light.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I quoted what BP6666VR said about putting oil in and still having the ligh.
True.... Í was just trying to trouble shoot... But you are correct, it is pressure not level....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
12,984 Posts
I hope your check oil with bike straight up and down.
not on the kickstand

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem solved.....The wire on the sending unit was loose and fell off....

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Problem solved.....The wire on the sending unit was loose and fell off....
That is GOOD news, and everybody learned something.... Lucky your oil pressure light was flashing , coz it was low anyway

Vics do not use oil if nothing is wrong with the engine

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts