Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and I registered because I am in the market for a new bike and the Cross Country Tour is at the top of my short list.

Last Saturday, my girlfriend and I test rode a 2014 black CCT. We rode for about five miles and my g.f. pointed to the dash and the oil light was on. Stopped the bike, called the dealership, asked if it was safe to drive it back to them. He consulted with someone for a minute and then said, yes, it's got a safety that will shut it down if it's in true danger. Ok, so we drove it back, they whizzed it around back and brought it back out shortly after. We were told it was a sensor that was loose and we were assured everything was fine, and although it was thirty minutes until closing, we were offered the bike to ride some more. Well, we were both enjoying the bike so I said alright.

This time we jumped on the highway, got into about 5th gear, and the light flickered, came on solid again, and then went out, never to come on again.

Is this a common problem? (I didn't see any threads on here.)

Is this a warning that this dealership or service department might have an issue?

I don't know, we really liked the bike but I would definitely be wary of buying that one, and truthfully, I want another color anyway.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have been ridding in the rain were you? Mine will come on if the sensor gets wet but it goes off as soon as it dries.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No rain. Beautiful weather.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My oil light only comes on when the motor is off - no pressure. If the light was coming on when you were riding, that means either the pressure switch was bad or there was little/no oil in the bike...

·
Registered
848 Posts
or loose electrical connections... battery, solonoid, main breaker, Sending unit.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have a 2011 Cross Country, and never had any issue with any warning lights.
Been reading reviews for a while, and haven't heard of a rash of oil lights coming on.

Hope this helps. Love my Victory.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Scotty J,

Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people with an abundance of great information on all things Victory. Anyway, as others have said, the oil light coming on isn't a known issue with these bikes. Likely just a loose connection or a faulty sending unit as has been suggested.
Bottom line; the Cross Country Tour is an awesome motorcycle. Yes, I'm biased towards them having purchased a new one in May 2013. After 14,000 100% trouble free miles, I couldn't be happier with my purchasing decision. Especially after a visit to The Vic Shop and the addition of +30hp, +30ft/lbs of torque, +3mpg (over stock) and the elimination of any felt engine/exhaust heat. After the upgrades, you'll be appreciative of the heated grips and seat.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies (and welcomes). I have to believe it was just a fluke. My g.f. and I test rode another CCT last Saturday and I think we're both convinced that it's the bike for me/us. We rode the blue and silver one with the Tri-Ovals. It sounded pretty good. We rode the Vision too and that further convinced us that the CCT was the one. I'm sure many love the Vision, so no disrespect intended, but we preferred the CCT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am new to CCTs as well (only have 350 miles on my new one!). I did however rent a CC it had 14000 miles ( I drove it 255 miles ) and a CCT with8000 miles ( I drove it 200 miles) before i bought it.

all ran well, I am looking forward to spring. if you buy one now, you will get a 3 year warranty to help alleviate your concerns....that is what i did!!
cheers

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am new to CCTs as well (only have 350 miles on my new one!). I did however rent a CC it had 14000 miles ( I drove it 255 miles ) and a CCT with8000 miles ( I drove it 200 miles) before i bought it.

all ran well, I am looking forward to spring. if you buy one now, you will get a 3 year warranty to help alleviate your concerns....that is what i did!!
cheers
Good to hear. I'm days away from having one. Will post more when it's a done deal.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Its not a loose connection..You could disconnect it when bike is running and you would not get a light..with no oil psi like engine off the nature of the switch is to be closed completing the circuit to ground thus giving you a light on the cluster...If it was disconnected it would be the same as having oil psi running (open circuit) So what happens is you start the bike and oil psi builds to push the psi switch open which disconnects the circuit. If you loose oil psi the spring over comes the psi and you get a connection in the oil psi switch which gives you a light on the cluster. My bet it is a bad psi sensor..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for all the replies (and welcomes). I have to believe it was just a fluke. My g.f. and I test rode another CCT last Saturday and I think we're both convinced that it's the bike for me/us. We rode the blue and silver one with the Tri-Ovals. It sounded pretty good. We rode the Vision too and that further convinced us that the CCT was the one. I'm sure many love the Vision, so no disrespect intended, but we preferred the CCT.
30 miles after the first service on my CC my oil light flickered while I was waiting at a stop light. I gave it a little gas and it quit. A little while down the road it flickered again then stayed on. I immediatly pulled in the clutch , hit the kill switch, and pulled to the side of the road. I began checking the oil level and wether or not the oil filter was on tight. I found no signs of oil loss. After much deliberation I descided to fire it up. The light didn't come back on. I took it down the the road contemplating wether or not to head for home. The light never came back on so I kept on riding without issue. The next morning I called my dealers service department. They had me bring it in to check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they ended up replacing the sending unit at a later date just to be on the safe side. Haven't had an issue since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts