Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as it meets the recommended specs... you are wasting our oil resources by changing it so often... and you are not really gaining any benefits from doing so. It's your money to waste, BUT it is all of our duty to conserve resources as much as we can. JMTC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil

I notice a difference. My KP has 32k miles on it and I can tell around 1000 miles it needs some tlc.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I notice a difference. My KP has 32k miles on it and I can tell around 1000 miles it needs some tlc.
Did you get your oil analyzed? How do you know it's not doing it's job? Unless you are racing your bike for oil to lose its viscosity at 1000 miles is unheard of. In fact victory recommends oil changes at every 5k miles with the same victory oil so obviously oil works fine for more than 1k miles. So stop using your butt dyno. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil

I guess I asked for it when I closed my statement with "thoughts". I don't waste the oil. Someone uses my "used" oil in his shop. But who knows, maybe he pour into the nearest drainage ditch, I'm not sure. I buy new socks every month too. I should have asked the question what kind of oil does everyone use. Btw, Victory recommends every 2500 p.85 owners manual. :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Btw, Victory recommends every 2500 p.85 owners manual. :)
On the older bikes yes 2500 miles but not because of the oil. New bikes 2011 and newer, oil change is every 5k miles with the same victory oil. Oil did not change engines and transmissions did. So my point stands. Victory oil can be used for 5k miles. And there is nothing in the owner's manual says " shorten your oil change intervals as your mileage gets higher. " oil change interval for our bikes is 2500 miles regardless of what your odometer says.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Castrol makes a 20w-40 blend I'm going to give a shot. nearest vic dealers are 2.5 hours either east, west or south from my loc, so I'll order the castrol since that's no less hassle than planning my services around making it to the dealer.

I changed the oil in my Kawi about once a year, since I never quite made it to 7500 miles either season. Will have to do the same with the wife's Shadow. Can't see changing any more frequently than necessary.

·
13,177 Posts
DeezVic
Why don't you find a oil analyzing place and get your oil analyzed.
Then you will know the oil your using is good or bad and they can tell you if your changing your oil to early.

I'm so tired of guys asking what oil every one is using. You don't ask for your car or boat or lawn more so why do you ask about your bike.

If you don't know what to use ask your dealer and use the factory recommend oil.

All oils are good qualty now so if you use a motorcycle oil you should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts