Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is based on Victory recommending a 2500 mile oil change for my year and model.
As you can see I can and will go much longer next time. I'll send in the next sample at 5000 miles.
Rotella T is just a little over $3.00 a qt. and tested great!!!
I used the factory filter.
I'm continuing this thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're both welcome. Good to know. Now we'll see what it looks like at 5000 or twice the recommended drain interval. That cuts the just over $3.00 a qt to just over $1.50 if 5000 is good.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I'm using the Rotella T6 5W-40. I wonder how that translates? Any thoughts? I'll be sending a sample in too.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the Rotella T6 5W-40. I wonder how that translates? Any thoughts? I'll be sending a sample in too.
Being a full synthetic your sample should be better than mine.
How many miles are you going to change it out at?

·
Registered
209 Posts
A lot of Goldwing owners also use Rotella 15-40 and change it around 5000 miles.o problems have been reported.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Being a full synthetic your sample should be better than mine.
How many miles are you going to change it out at?
I was thinking along the lines of a 2500 mile change due to that being about 3/4 of a year with some long layovers during cold and rainy weather. After viewing your results, I'm rethinking that to much farther down the road.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have used Rotella T6 along with the Fram filter for many different bikes including my Vision and find it to work quite well... I change it every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I travel roughly 30,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I have used Rotella T6 along with the Fram filter for many different bikes including my Vision and find it to work quite well... I change it every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I travel roughly 30,000 miles a year.
You might want to consider a higher quality filter. Search the oil/filter threads for info. Fram will stop large moths and small birds but nothing smaller.:ltr:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
dont shoot me !!!!!

i heard that fullsyn oil is not good for our clutches and cause them to slip ???

VIC oil ( and others ) are not full syn oil !!!

YES / NO ??????????

:confused:
OMG! Here we go again! Quick answer #1. search past oil threads. #2. Look for JASO-MA or JASO-MA1 on the container where it tells what standards it qualifies for. If you see that, it won't hurt your clutch or anything else. Quite the opposite. thumb up

·
Registered
530 Posts
You might want to consider a higher quality filter. Search the oil/filter threads for info. Fram will stop large moths and small birds but nothing smaller.:ltr:
+1
I'd use Mobile One extended performance filter or one similar, 10,000 miles still is a lot of miles between changes, too many IMHO even with the best synthetic oil.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1
I'd use Mobile One extended performance filter or one similar, 10,000 miles still is a lot of miles between changes, too many IMHO even with the best synthetic oil.
An automotive forum I've frequented refers to Fram as the "orange kiss of death"...

For readily available filters (as in: "found at an auto parts store") Wix and Mobile One are probably the best (non-OEM) filters to use; I've a personal preference for Wix for all my vehicles.

·
Registered
530 Posts
An automotive forum I've frequented refers to Fram as the "orange kiss of death"...

For readily available filters (as in: "found at an auto parts store") Wix and Mobile One are probably the best (non-OEM) filters to use; I've a personal preference for Wix for all my vehicles.
+1 on Fram filters, they are junk IMHO. After changing out one on my car it left it's seal on the filter seat of the car.

I lost all my new Mobile One fresh oil change because I didn't catch the double seal that I now had, never used them since and never had any other filter do that but I always check anyways after that experience.

I really Like Mobile One Full synthetic and their Extended high performance oil filters and believe they of very high quality.

I believe that this combination would be good for Vics too, but would have to re-read specs to be sure.

"What was the reason for the formulation change to the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is an internationally available product and, as such, represents advanced global technology. With the release of the recent JASO motorcycle standard (MA 2006), an opportunity was presented to again upgrade the Mobil 1 Racing 4T formulation such that it continues to meet and/or exceed the latest industry and OEM standards for motorcycles.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:API SM
API SL
API SJ
API SH
JASO MA

Maximum shear stability Helps resist viscosity shear down in high performance engines and transmissions.

Exceptional thermal stability Helps resist oxidation and high-temperature degradation.

Outstanding protection Against wear of engine and transmission components.

Enhanced lubrication Helps maintain maximum power and acceleration over the life of the engine.

Optimized wet-clutch performance Meets JASO MA.

Excellent low-temperature flow characteristics Helps minimize engine wear during start-up.

and then we have:

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
API
SJ

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
API , SH, SG, CF "

Anyone know if either of the above would be good for Vics engines? I would choose the top one but am not sure about Vics specs yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Mobile One Extended Performance Oil Filters Warraty:

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters Limited Warranty

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters, manufactured by Champion Laboratories, Inc. (“Champion Laboratories”), are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer’s recommended service interval (or up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when combined with fully synthetic motor oils) will be replaced at no charge by Champion Laboratories.

In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a proven defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, Champion Laboratories will authorize restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just before the failure.

This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident.

Claims for engine or equipment repairs provided by this limited warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of the damage. Champion Laboratories reserves the right to examine the engine or equipment and filter in order to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter."

Amsoil is also excellent oil.

I do not work for or am I afilliated with anyone from Mobile One.

And of course a Victory Dealer on youtube stated that their blend helps to remove heat better than other oils such as Mobile One or Amsoil.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is the T 15/40 a non synthetic? I use the Rotella 5/40 on my Wing, which is a water cooled motor. For some reason, I thought a 5/40 wasn't that great in high temps on a motor which recommended a higher low number ( hope that makes some sense) I.e. the 5 part of 5/40 is too low unless actually recommended. Maybe because air cooled engines have different tolerances or run hotter??

Not suggesting this is the case, just what I remember. Rotella syn in the gallon jugs is a great buy!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The older vics called for semi-synthetic 20 w oil which I use in my bike
the past arguments said the clutch could slip but some tried full synthetic 20 weight and had some success. why not use what the manufacturer recommends is the cost that prohibitive ?

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No it's not but I will not just blindly hand my money over just "because". I use OEM oil filters but not oil. It's a total ripoff and that doesn't sit well with me. Read my report, I like basing decisions on proof not what someone says on the Internet.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I sure wish the manufacturer of the Victory oil would be leaked. (Pun intended)

I'd like to know what oil it's based on. Wouldn't it be funny to find out it's nothing more than a Rotella semi-synth? It wouldn't surprise me based on what I've read on the subject.

By the way; I've been using a blend of Valvoline 20/40 dino and Valvoline 20/40 synth (both for 4 stroke V-Twins) for a while now and it seems to work just fine as well. If I can find the Rotella semi-synth 10/40; I'd buy it instead. I have mixed the Rotella dino and Rotella synth with good success as well as a secondary choice.

I too don't have any issues with the Victory oil other than it seems to be overpriced for a semi-synth oil. I'm sure that's so Victory can get a profit off it just like the company that makes it for them. If Victory was taken out of the equation; it would probably be half the price. Same thing with the Harley brand oil. Just another way to make a profit. I don't begrudge a company for trying as long as they don't begrudge me for finding a way around it. Kind of a game we all play with all things we pay for I guess. :)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts