Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love oil threads and the scientific ways they are approached. Victory recommends it (yea pretty good), sounds good (not so good) and looks good (really not so good).
So people use a specified oil because it looks and sounds good. Gotta love it.

I was wondering if anybody had a used oil analysis to back up the looks good and sounds good reviews? I have some but their not Victory but they are from a couple bikes that are ridden daily in 115 degree weather.

I have never owned an all in one oil bike before so this is new to me and I would like solid facts instead of looks/sounds good. Maybe the Amsoil guys here could post up some U.O.A.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
This thread seems like it was just started to cause arguments. There are quite a few people with 100k miles on their Victories. Why not just ask what oil does everyone use and how many miles are in their bikes?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread seems like it was just started to cause arguments. There are quite a few people with 100k miles on their Victories. Why not just ask what oil does everyone use and how many miles are in their bikes?
Nope not at all I was hoping to see some U.O.A. reports. I live where the temps can be 110+ for days and weeks at a time. I know any good quality oil works but some facts to back them up are good also.

Starting arguments isn't my style and is fruitless for gaining information. Information sir was my intention, that's all.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asking people what kind of oil they use is a tired subject and just brings out the sarcasm.

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about. Again not Victory but good information.

My 09 Ultra. This oil was tortured by running at extreme heat for extended periods of time riding 2-up across Arizona into California weekend after weekend. 270deg+ sometimes exceeding 300deg oil temp.
The TBN is very good!! and at 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It's all good but the oil discussions usually just come down who used what, how they like it, and how much money they saved.

The Vic tech that built my bike is now a service manager at his dealership (a very reputable dealership at that) and we had friends in common long before I owned a Victory. He's built lots of Vics for people (130+HP). When we talked on the phone right after I bought my bike, he told me immediately to always use Victory oil due to the horror stories of people who brought bikes in for repairs when they tried to run different oils. That was good enough for me.... oil gets changed every 2,500 miles regardless with Vic oil.

Edit: I've read lots of oil reports from people on engine building forums. Seen ones claiming Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc are doing amazing in their engines to find out later that their engine scattered on them prematurely. Excluding engines in a toy of mine where the manufacturer recommends a synthetic or semi-synthetic, I run regular dino oil.

Reason being is that I had a top rated national engine builder put together a new race motor for one of my cars and it was run with a custom full synthetic blend recommended for the engine by both the oil manufacturer and engine builder. When the engine spun TWO rod bearings simultaneously, it was 3k rpm UNDER redline and the engine was only 3 months old, less than 20 passes, and under 1,500 miles. Dino oil and I hand assemble all my own engine builds after I check the tolerances myself to verify everything is what it was spec'd at.

The problem with oil reports is that even it comes back your engine is wearing prematurely, it could be due to one of your clearances being on the tight side of the factory tolerances. Factory built motors have bigger tolerances for machine work than custom builds so you can't even compare two oil reports from two separate factory built motors.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've put over 125K on a Goldwing using Honda oil, 68K on a Ultra Classic using HD oil, and in 5 months, I've put 16K on my XC using Victory oil. I've had several other bikes and always used what the manufacturer recommended.

The only oil related problem I've ever had was the oil pump on my HD. They never told me what caused the oil pump to fail, they just replaced it. I rode that bike another 2 years.

Manufacturers don't blend the oil or make the filters. I was surprised to find how many motors the XC filter fits. Here's the cross reference list from Wix filters. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51356 I'm not recommending their filters, just used their list.

Somewhere I've seen posted who actually blends the oil for Victory, but I cant find the post. I don't know who makes the filters.

Now I'll sit back and watch where this thread goes. wac

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put over 125K on a Goldwing using Honda oil, 68K on a Ultra Classic using HD oil, and in 5 months, I've put 16K on my XC using Victory oil. I've had several other bikes and always used what the manufacturer recommended.

The only oil related problem I've ever had was the oil pump on my HD. They never told me what caused the oil pump to fail, they just replaced it. I rode that bike another 2 years.

Manufacturers don't blend the oil or make the filters. I was surprised to find how many motors the XC filter fits. Here's the cross reference list from Wix filters. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51356 I'm not recommending their filters, just used their list.

Somewhere I've seen posted who actually blends the oil for Victory, but I cant find the post. I don't know who makes the filters.

Now I'll sit back and watch where this thread goes. wac
I hope it doesn't go the way most go. I use XXX and had no problems. That doesn't mean a thing. My sample from above was coal black and tested good. Looks also mean nothing.

I am looking at extended changes if possible or reasonable. I've read of 100,000 mile plus Victory's changing at 5000 miles. Maybe Victory oil/filters doesn't have what it takes to go 5000 miles.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Maybe Victory oil/filters doesn't have what it takes to go 5000 miles.
For the 2011 models, at least for the XC, Victory changed the recommended oil change interval to 5000 miles. The 2010 XC they recommend every 2500 miles. Same oil, same filter. I believe they made the change across all models but no updated recommendations for prior models.

·
12,984 Posts
Polaris gets there oil from Lube Tech and I'm sure Polaris tells them what they want from the oil.
For PlowTown Missile spinning rod bearing the way you tell us its the guy that built the motor that doesn't know his oil or bearings. The oil really was not the bad guy but the motor builder was.
For years hd never used synthetic oil cause they did not have the right rod bearings to handle synthetic.
In 2008 or earlier most if not all started using the correct components so consumers could run synthetic oils.
I'll bet if you ran your Polaris oil to 5000 miles and then had it analyzed you would find your doing ok. In hot weather when it gets to 100 degrees or better yes changing you oil sooner does help.
Keep in mind that 90% of engine wear comes at start up and if your a rider that rev's your engine when its cold your 99% hurting your motor.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I hope it doesn't go the way most go. I use XXX and had no problems. That doesn't mean a thing. My sample from above was coal black and tested good. Looks also mean nothing.

I am looking at extended changes if possible or reasonable. I've read of 100,000 mile plus Victory's changing at 5000 miles. Maybe Victory oil/filters doesn't have what it takes to go 5000 miles.
The only way an oil report means anything is if you use ONE oil in ONE bike and have oil reports done through the life of the bike. Period. Anything less is speculation.

One oil report on a specific bike means nothing.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way an oil report means anything is if you use ONE oil in ONE bike and have oil reports done through the life of the bike. Period. Anything less is speculation.

One oil report on a specific bike means nothing.
May be but it's way better than "It looks good". :D

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My Vic dealer (oldest dealer in Florida) said they had a factory rep visiting and stressed that they tell customers to stay with Vics oil.

He (rep) showed them on a workbench using 2 small puddles of oil, vic brand and brand X? how when heat was applied to the 2 different oils, they reacted differently. The brand x would just kind of sit there but the vic oil moved towards the heat like a magnet. He explained that the Vic oil is superior at absorbing heat and this was the intention of the formula they created to help the motors run cooler. Anyone hear of this?

My dealer will only recommend the Manufacturers oil . His top mechanic has a vision with gobs of miles probably approaching 100k or better on that oil with no mechanical failures. Thats good enough for me

Besides if your changing oil every 5k your not gaining anything by switching to a more expensive sythetic. At 5k I bet theres nothing wrong with the oil your dumping. If there is and you have it tested saying excessive wear, you got internal problems with your motor, Tranny.

I have run Royal purple, Amsoil, mobil 1 in everything I own. Frankly I'm tired of the expense. 7000 miles ago I had my mechanic put Penzoil platinum synthetic in my wifes v8 that has always had amsoil in it. I saved 20 bucks over the amsoil and the penzoil still looks gold in color. She runs like a top at 110k and does'nt burn a drop.

·
12,984 Posts
slickvic
Amsoil has a additive in it so it never changes color.
Yes I use it. For the BS of Vic oil going towards heat I would have to ask is the other oil a motorcycle oil.
Napa and other place will analyze your oil so do your home work and have them look at your oil and ask them if your changing to soon or to late.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
UOA's will tell you allot you can find many of them on the net from shared sump applications. As to the Vic specific oil I have only read a few but they were new oil reports. I use Kendal Super-D XA 15 40 and can get a report from each change, because my riding was cut short by a knee injury. I will put a short change up in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use oil analysis. My analysis of engines I've rebuilt from car engines to semi-truck diesel's and my analysis is I've never overhauled an engine with a Mobil product used in it that actually needed to be overhauled. Always clean and in exceptional condition. That's the only analysis I need. thumb up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts