Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an oil seep on my 12 CCT. Its on the top of the black housing around the primary drive cover. Anyone else experience this on a new bike. I have only 4900 miles on it. It's not leaking persay just moist on the black portion of the housing.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
No issues with my XC in that location. Have your mechanic check it out when you take it in for your 5K service.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
My 2011 XR has a little seep there also. I think it's coming from the rubber grommet where the primary cover and crankcase come together at the front. The bike has 8500 miles on it and I first noticed it at 2000 miles. I would keep an eye on it, but personally, I'm not too concerned about it. If it's the same as mine, it's a very slight seep.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No issues with my XC in that location. Have your mechanic check it out when you take it in for our 5K service.
Totally agree. This would tick me off a little but probably not a big deal.
Let your dealer check it out as soon as you can.
If this was an HD Ultra Classic this thread would have 15 pages of what a piece of junk HDs are.:p

·
Registered
103 Posts
oilseep

Have 2400 miles and just noticed the same seep at that location on my 12 XCT. Thats Victory trying to be like HD. My only problem is where do you find a dealer that knows anything. Just lip from Victory or should I say ictory.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I noticed an oil seep on my 12 CCT. Its on the top of the black housing around the primary drive cover. Anyone else experience this on a new bike. I have only 4900 miles on it. It's not leaking persay just moist on the black portion of the housing.
Freaked me out when I 1st noticed that on my 09 Pin, its totally normal and it will stop. Mine is nearly done with that. I believe Ma Vic uses a bit of grease of the mating surface and that is what you see.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Don't feel bad, just discovered a slow drip from somewhere around the kickstand on my brand new 2013 XC - taking it to JPM saturday morning first thing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
didnt have a prob till the compensator change. then it ran out .
down at dealer again . probably a defective gasket. it was running
down the side cover down the kickstand and blowing back on the
l sidecover. i was wiping every mile or so. over the weekend,
didnt mean i couldnt ride.put over 400 miles on it. so in a nutshell,
it shouldnt do that.--irv

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the same seep between the top of the chrome primary cover and and the black engine case, 2,500 miles. I thought that I had gotten over zealous with detail spray, guess not. - Mike

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
didnt have a prob till the compensator change. then it ran out .
down at dealer again . probably a defective gasket. it was running
down the side cover down the kickstand and blowing back on the
l sidecover. i was wiping every mile or so. over the weekend,
didnt mean i couldnt ride.put over 400 miles on it. so in a nutshell,
it shouldnt do that.--irv
So you stopped every mile and wiped down the bike for 400 miles? Dood, you got one strong arm!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same thing going on with my 2012 vegas straight down from the ignition key. I notice it after about an hour of riding little streaks of oil on the chrome but none on the black engine case, definately coming from between the two. Taking it to the dealer to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
So you stopped every mile and wiped down the bike for 400 miles? Dood, you got one strong arm!
rode fri night, sat, and sun. just reached down w/a shop rag
and wiped the oil. dont try this at home boys and girls.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A lot of the new bikes have this problem. Mine did.
The primary gasket has a gel bead imbedded down the center of each side. It's my theory that this gasket does not seal properly until the bike gets good and hot. Depending on the temps in your location and your riding style this can happen sooner or later.

Also, the crankcase and primary case have a positive pressure inside of them when the engine is running, this tends to try to push oil out. Want to see what I mean, remove the oil dipstick and crank the engine. ;o)

The primary bolts torque to about 80 in. lbs., so you can try to re-torque all of them. An auto parts store may have a torque wrench for in. lbs. you can borrow.
Then ride the heck out of it. A good twisty road, keep the rpms up, lots of rev ups and down. This tends to heat the engine up to a good operating temp.

If you recently had primary work done, such as a compensator change or clutch work, and the gasket is leaking more than just a seep, then maybe the tech did not replace the gasket and used the old one, or just mis-aligned it. This is easy to do as the gasket tends to flop around and the stator in the front of the primary has a tremendous magnetic pull. It will definitely pinch your fingers! Kevinx had a good trick of using 3" bolts with the heads cut off to help keep the gasket aligned and get the cover on straight. There's no substitute for experience.

The gasket on my XC stopped leaking after I checked the torque (two of the bolts were somewhat loose) and rode her like a rented mule for a couple of weeks.
This is just my experience, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my guy just told me it was his screw up and also was talking about the magnet. hes pissed at himself because he has done a ton of
them and this is the first return. i told him at my shop we dont have comebacks. i have repeat customers!--irv

·
Registered
227 Posts
primary leak

My 08 did the same thing, tighten the bolts and it still did it for a while. Dont worry about it, 75% of vics do it till they seal up.thumb up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, My '08 Hammer did this too. I thought maybe it was due to the oil level being a tad too high, but maybe not. Today, it doesn't do this nearly has much, rarely see it, so I guess it does get better over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took my bike in for the 5000 mile service today and ask the service tech to check out the seep on the Primary Drive cover. They tightenedthe bolts and told me if this doesn't fix it to bring it back in and they would change the gasket. I think they have seen his before. I just wanted the rest to know that if you bike continues to seep, take it in if it's still under warranty. cheers

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have 1900 miles on my 12 cct at about 1200 I started noticing the same thing. It has never gotten worse. Pretty much the length of the primary cover about an inch the full length is stained.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts