Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all! As the thread's title suggests, I noticed a very thin amount of oil darkening the area around the crankshaft position sensor on my '06 Hammer. Suffice to say I'm rather disappointed that there's already oil leaking at 18.5K miles, given Victory's reputation. I've only had it since September, and only put 5000 miles on it, but it didn't seem that poorly taken care of when I got it. I've certainly been changing the oil at the recommended service intervals. What gives?
I went and pulled the sensor out to see if there was any damage, and all I can see is some black marks on one of the O-rings in there, presumably where the oil is coming out. Speaking of which, should there be two O-rings stacked like that? I look up the senor in Polaris of Portland's parts fiche and it doesn't say anything about the O-rings, so I really don't know. Lowly express technician that I am, all I know is that when an oil filter comes off, if it leaves behind its gasket and you put a new filter on without noticing, there will be seepage, so that seems a bit strange to me. Anyway... Anyone else ever had this problem before?

·
13,177 Posts
never heard of stacking o-ring. Maybe factory screw up

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Service Manual 2006 Hammer download on Bbob signature

Crank Position Sensor, Chapter 17.9

Very easy to fix..... it looks like it is a soft crush ring on the picture?? anyway, just bring the sensor to a rubber O-ring shop and buy a new O-ring or even a fraction thicker one and test it??

PS on my 2013 jackpot this sensor is not on the same position.... :crzy:

So where would the 2013 sensor be located at??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, yeah, that's what I did: I just got a slightly thicker o-ring from work and put that in there. I should probably get me to the local Polaris dealership to find the right one, but this has stopped the problem for now, I think. I'm just rather surprised that my bike started seeping so soon, especially since these bikes are usually so reliable.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
O-rings are "great" for years and years, if they are not faulty....

Just your O-ring was damaged or dirt or 1 in a million cracked , bad luck could happen even to a airplane or race-car,

did you see anything wrong with the O-ring that was leaking before???

good you found the leak and good you had an easy fix.... thumb up

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, yeah, that's what I did: I just got a slightly thicker o-ring from work and put that in there. I should probably get me to the local Polaris dealership to find the right one, but this has stopped the problem for now, I think. I'm just rather surprised that my bike started seeping so soon, especially since these bikes are usually so reliable.
If the thicker one stopped the leak I would just leave it in as long as it seats and doesn't leak why worry? O-rings can be found about anywhere for a lot cheaper than you will pay at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
8 years old is not "soon".

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm just rather surprised that my bike started seeping so soon, especially since these bikes are usually so reliable.
Yes, weeping out a little oil mist makes the bike completely unreliable. I'd stay close to home if I were you. I'm sure it will self destruct or spontaneously combust any minute now.

My bike is also an '06... but it has around 80K miles. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. It just goes and goes and goes. Obviously you got a lemon. You should file a law suit.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yes, weeping out a little oil mist makes the bike completely unreliable. I'd stay close to home if I were you. I'm sure it will self destruct or spontaneously combust any minute now.

My bike is also an '06... but it has around 80K miles. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. It just goes and goes and goes. Obviously you got a lemon. You should file a law suit.
:ltr::ltr::ltr::crzy::ltr::ltr::crzy:

Mr Meanberger, glad you figured out the problem and luckily it was not a major one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you see anything wrong with the O-ring that was leaking before???
Well, some of the enamel was sticking to the crankcase, I suppose.

Obviously you got a lemon. You should file a law suit.
Good call. I might even be able to sue in advance for my bike's future explosion while I'm riding it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Service Manual 2006 Hammer download on Bbob signature

Crank Position Sensor, Chapter 17.9

Very easy to fix..... it looks like it is a soft crush ring on the picture?? anyway, just bring the sensor to a rubber O-ring shop and buy a new O-ring or even a fraction thicker one and test it??

PS on my 2013 jackpot this sensor is not on the same position.... :crzy:

So where would the 2013 sensor be located at??? :rolleyes:
Your sensor is on the right side of the bike. Prior to 08 the sensors were on the left like my 06 because the trigger wheel for the sensor is attached to the basket for the stator (not sure of the technical term). 08 and newer have the trigger wheel under the right cover which I believe is why Lloyd offers the adjustable timing gear for 08-newer bikes only!

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Your sensor is on the right side of the bike. Prior to 08 the sensors were on the left like my 06 because the trigger wheel for the sensor is attached to the basket for the stator (not sure of the technical term). 08 and newer have the trigger wheel under the right cover which I believe is why Lloyd offers the adjustable timing gear for 08-newer bikes only!
So on the newer models the Crank Position Sensor is where the Lloyds timing wheel goes, that is a good and wise place.... thanks for the info...

Wish there was a 2013 Manuel to download.... I printed the PDF from Bbob 2005 & 2006 and printed in thick paper / gloss A3 size, so it became a BIG BOOK, hahahah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts