Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal opperating oil temp on the 100ci Freedom engine? I noticed Friday when I was riding that mine was running around 220. I'm guessing I just hadn't paid attention before and that is probably normal, but it seemed a little high to me.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before you put too much into the temp of your oil you should be sure your temp gauge is even close to accurate. Most of those dip stick gauges are relatively inaccurate. Also based on the recent temps we have been seeing around my area, I wouldn’t worry about the 220 range.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Just like checking the tire pressure is always a good idea, checking your oil temperature is almost never a good idea. You end up worrying for nothing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Works for me. I just happen to notice it and thought it seemed high. I will just ignore it. My wife wants me to get rid of the temp dipstick anyway. Maybe I will, especially since it is a pain in the rear to take off to check the oil anyway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have one of those temperature dipsticks too. I'm not crazy about it but not much else available for my bike. When it was a 92ci the temp hung around 220. Now it is a 114ci and it still hangs out around 220. So what does this tell me?? Not much except it seems to be somewhat consistent or 220 is as high as it will register.:ltr:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
On a hot day or in traffic mine was reading 250. At night or when it's cooler it showed about 200. I might just get rid of it. It came with my bike when I bought it. So I shouldn't worry about the temps? What are normal hot temps on a hot day?

·
Registered
755 Posts
If the bike didn't come with an oil temperature gauge why would you go out and waste money on one? :D

If victory thinks bike doesn't need one who am I to argue with it? :ltr: :ltr:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
My bike came with the oil temp gauge. Does anyone know what is the normal or acceptable temp range for the victory freedom motor? I'm just trying to learn more about these bikes.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Ok. I didn't know that u can't overheat an air cooled motor.
You can, but your temperature sensor probably does not go as high as your oil does, rendering the thermometer useless. *
If you leave the bike running in a closed space (ie garage, shed, etc.) you can overheat it. Otherwise, you have better chance to win the lottery than overheat that stallion ;).

My bike came with the oil temp gauge. Does anyone know what is the normal or acceptable temp range for the victory freedom motor? I'm just trying to learn more about these bikes.
Below 300°F is probably fine, but your do-hickie only goes to 250°F, right? And even if you have the one that goes up to 350°F, keep in mind that they're as accurate as a drunk weather man.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well this is an old post but today I am trying to determine normal operating oil temps between a variety of different bikes.

This is a straight forward question that I don't see a proper answer.

Can anyone provide the correct answer as documented by Victory or some other reliable source?

·
13,242 Posts
now wouldn't you need to know outside temp along with what kind of oil and what the average speed was when temp was noted.
If you have a temp gun what is the reading of each cylinder.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
now wouldn't you need to know outside temp along with what kind of oil and what the average speed was when temp was noted.
Well I suppose but I'm not the one doing the testing ... I was hoping there are some facts and figures out there somewhere that tells me all of this.

Not important ... just looking for info before I get myself into a debate about oil temps in air cooled versus liquid cooled M/C engines on another forum. LOL

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
OK , Let me try to help. On warm days 90 + riding I see temps on my gage running 220. On cooler days 70 or less I see more like 200. This is IMO what the bike should do given my set up and tune. A very good running bike. Very hot days stuck in traffic I never go over 250. Again a tuned bike will run cooler.

Now..... as shitty as the Vic temp gage is you can still pull it apart and adjust the temp for some accuracy. Just boil some water and put your thermometer in and see if it hits 212 degrees. If it is off there is an adjuster nut behind the dial. Hold the dial and adjust and re check till you get close to 212.

There are better offerings out there from Pingel and others. Witch Doctor is a great source for accessories for Victory. Little plug there.thumb up

·
13,242 Posts
Back in the late 80's harley dressers came with a head temp gauge.
It would read so hot that guys wouldn't ride the bikes. Dealer pulled the temp sensor off the bikes so guys could ride.
We all know that any motor thats air cooled gets hot.
You could put a fan on the oil cooler that you could turn on an off as you needed it

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks slickvic ... now if only I can get some info on other bikes such as a Wing or a Yamaha Venture (which are liquid cooled).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts