Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil has always been a top topic. Owning numerous Harleys, the oil topic was no different, what brand, what weight etc. After reading all I could find, I decided to use Mobil one V-twin in all my Harleys. I now own two victories, and on this forum, oil is still very talked about. Harleys use 20-50, and Victories use 20-40. Again, I read a lot about what to use in a Victory, and still not sure what to use. My question is, do or should I use 20-40, or can I use 20-50, like the mobil v-twin. Don't have a dealer close to me, so I would like to use the mobil 1. Some say the victory was designed to use 20-40, others say 20-50 is fine. So, yes or no on the mobil v-twin?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh my.

Well, if it is a lagit question, here goes. I'm not very familiar with the M1 20-50, but it may not be compatible. "Harley" engine oil doesn't mix with the clutch and could cause slipping if it contains friction modifiers.
The oil could be a bit heavy too. Just because it is a twin doesn't mean all twins use the same viscosity. Oil and engine engineering has come a long way so there just isn't a need for the syrup of days gone by. Thinner is the new fashion due to better oiling and smaller oil ports. The 50 weight shouldn't hurt per say but will be less than optimal.There is also the very harsh transmission environment that comes into play and may not be good with certain blends.

Do what you want, yo will find the opinion you like and follow it anyway, but stay with a wet clutch compatible blend that has good resistance to shear. Most JASO MA oils are fine and there are pretty much enough flavors to satisfy the masses.

Welcome the the mayhem.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i'm nearing oil change time and have been debating the subject. I think I will listen to the person that probably knows more about vics than anybody but the designers, and maybe even them, lloydz. I don't have a local dealer either but ups comes here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Castrol Actevo 20-40. A semi synthetic that meets Victory requirements...

·
13,262 Posts
Oil has always been a top topic. Owning numerous Harleys, the oil topic was no different, what brand, what weight etc. After reading all I could find, I decided to use Mobil one V-twin in all my Harleys. I now own two victories, and on this forum, oil is still very talked about. Harleys use 20-50, and Victories use 20-40. Again, I read a lot about what to use in a Victory, and still not sure what to use. My question is, do or should I use 20-40, or can I use 20-50, like the mobil v-twin. Don't have a dealer close to me, so I would like to use the mobil 1. Some say the victory was designed to use 20-40, others say 20-50 is fine. So, yes or no on the mobil v-twin?
PLEASE PLEASE go to top of page click on forum scroll down to oil there is over a good hundred post there :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
You should stick with a 40 weight. The first number could vary from 5w to 20w, but do your engine like the engineers designed and stick with 40.

Pick up some shell rotella triple 15w40 from Walmart. $13 a gallon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
383 Posts
The next person who posts an oil thread without searching should be have their hands beaten with mallets.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The next person who posts an oil thread without searching should be have their hands beaten with mallets.
Lol lol.:ltr:

So what kind of oil should I use in my victory? :ltr: :ltr:

PS: I only used my thumbs to type this post. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 in every motorcycle I've owned for the past 15 years. Before they made bike specific Mobil 1, I used the the standard automotive version. Most of these bikes were sport bikes where the transmission gears were shearing thorugh the oil with the engine above 10K rpms a good bit of the time, and I never had any problems with any of them. I've heard the speculation that you can have wet clutch problems, but that hasn't been my experience with sport bikes, dual sports, or v-twin crusiers. In fact, every single bike I put any type of Mobil 1 in has ran cooler and shifted much smoother.

Since my Vegas is the first Victory I've owned, I don't have any experience with using 50w in the engine. It is ready for an oil change, and if the only appropriately weighted Mobil 1 is of the automotive variety, I won't hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is funny coming from a guy with "Join the Darkside" in his avatar.:ltr: Car tire threads inspire much more anger than oil threads:ltr:

Well, maybe not! cheers

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
This is funny coming from a guy with "Join the Darkside" in his avatar.:ltr: Car tire threads inspire much more anger than oil threads:ltr:

Well, maybe not! cheers
Maybe he'll start an "oil to run when using a car tire on a motorcycle" thread.
I don't get why anyone gets mad over oil threads they're very entertaining.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe he'll start an "oil to run when using a car tire on a motorcycle" thread.
I don't get why anyone gets mad over oil threads they're very entertaining.
I don't get why anybody gets mad over any thread. If someone doesn't like the content of a thread, it's really easy just to move on to the next thread.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I don't get why anybody gets mad over any thread. If someone doesn't like the content of a thread, it's really easy just to move on to the next thread.
That's right.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i just can't understand trying to save 50.00 every 5 thousand miles on an expensive toy.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
i just can't understand trying to save 50.00 every 5 thousand miles on an expensive toy.
Why not? Do you ride around looking for the most expensive gas because your expensive toy deserves it when cheaper gas does the exact same thing?

P.S. My bike isn't a toy it's my primary transportation so I make sure it gets exactly what it needs and have the testing to prove it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why not? Do you ride around looking for the most expensive gas because your expensive toy deserves it when cheaper gas does the exact same thing?

P.S. My bike isn't a toy it's my primary transportation so I make sure it gets exactly what it needs and have the testing to prove it.
honestly, when I put gas in my bike I put the highest octane and never look at the price. my bike isn't my primary transportation and usually when i'm riding it its just for de-stressing. if I was worried about saving a little I wouldn't be riding for enjoyment at all. a good days ride with friends usually cost about 30.00 or more for gas and food.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts