Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a lot going on with the Magnum this winter I am thinking of doing somthing with the suspension while its tore down. I'm tired of airing the bike up and down manually when the wife wants to ride with me. Also I hate having to raise the hight of the bike so much to get a good ride 2 up.

Are my only options air ride?

Is it possible to get away from the air shock and use a real shock like the Progressive I put on my hammer? Is there a set it and forget it option that will perform solo or 2up?

Who has the best air ride system? Im looking at VicBaggers as of now.

How is it better or different from stock? I know we have an air shock but it doesn't work the same as air ride correct?

Also I would like a better ride/handling from the front suspension I feel it is too soft as of now seems like it's jarring/bottoms out on things my Cross Roads just sailed over. I will be installing raked trees from HMD or VicBaggers to go to a 23" wheel also so keep that in mind

So what front options do we have? I'm not interested in being able to raise and lower the front end like air ride just want a set it and forget it solution that handles great!

·
12,983 Posts
air ride will not give you a good ride. Its basically a tube with air in it.
There is no air pocket for the shock to flex when you hit a bump

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
check out traxxion.com if you want to try a coilover shock instead. and there is a company(cant think of yhe name off hand) that will redo the forks for a better ride, i will try to get the name.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
air = cheap

prolly your best bet would be a shock built for you + how you ride, think Penske, not cheap but made my hammer a decent ride considering the lack of sidewall cushioning on the 250 Dunrock!! read a bit on motorcyclemetal a site that deals with very poor suspensions on a you know what! harley. he pulls no punches + information pertains to many bikes

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Love my Penske shock, only problem is, with the back suspension riding so well, I feel how crappie the forks handle now. Oh well, it's only money.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have the Penskeon a Cross bike?
If so do you ride 2up? How did you have it setup? Do you ever have to adjust it for 2up?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Yes, it's on a CCT. The shock is custom made based on the rider's weight and or passenger weight, or expected weight of luggage. I have the 3 way adjustable shock. Ride height, damping , and rebound are adjustable for you're personal preference. I have the remote control mounted on the trunk support.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Racetech builds shocks with remote hydraulic preload adjusters that are designed for touring bikes.

Probably Penske has something similar if you ask.

G3S HYDRAULIC PRELOAD ADJUSTER

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heavy - duty any chance we can get some pics of where the remote is mounted. Where did you order it from and how much.

Joe - thanks I will look into race tech also

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
It will be a few days until l'm back home for pictures. My local cycle shop , Amped Powersports ,Halifax,Pa does a lot of race tuning and suspension work on motorcycles and ATV's .Matt , the owner deals with Penske on a regular basis, so he called them up and asked if they could build one for Victory. I suppose any tuner shop could contact Penske. Prices start at around 7 -8 hundred, 1300 for the 3 way adjustable shock. One thing to remember is that these are completely rebuild able, as opposed to the junk factory shock.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm game not worried about the cost just want the best ride I can get.

I will contact your guy about it dealing with shops out here is a joke
(they think they know everything and it just can't be done!) I would rather talk to someone that has already done it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]hey Heavy Duty, i am right down the road from you, coal twp- shamokin, good to know theres someone good around the area. i ordered directly from Penske in Reading Pa, talked to a tech + got a great shock for my Hammer, accessing it on a steel framed bike isn't bad so i am manually adjusting. i got preload + rebound + an optional separator piston, about $850 delivered. i installed it with a bike jack in my garage. i see some Vic's at the Nickel when i stop in for food + drink. i have read many times where a suspension improvement @ either end can show the other ends faults even more, happy + safe riding!!

·
Premium Member
538 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Matt just called me this morning, I had him check on Penske options for the forks. Penske will only sell cartridges for Victory to Traxxion as they have done all the research and development for them. If you want fully adjustable forks, the tubes need to be sent to them to be machined for the caps. I'm going to have Matt do that this winter.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks heavy duty !!your the man!!

I will call him tomorrow
I'm going to be doing the VicBaggers backbone or rake trees this winter so the forks are coming off anyway maybe he can get us a better/package deal if we send them at the same time?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
worth the $$$$

suspension upgrades done right are worth every buck, + in the case of baggers the xtra cost remote is great if you vary your riding conditions often. Penske is top of the line stuff for sure. knowing air-shocks are a cheap way for factory suspension adjustability i always wondered about a "real" shock for replacement. on the motorcyclemetal site he specializes in fixing harley's very poor suspension with ohlins + penske as well

·
12,983 Posts
p.hunt

I would think where you live you could find someone thats don't it all ready and maybe get a test ride before spending a ton of money.
They show 3 places if I'm on the right site

Penske Shocks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
custom built

since the Penske shocks are not off the shelf + built per order specs you would need to ride a setup similar to what you want + be a very close weight match. adjustable shocks are said to be for fine tuning not one size fits most + adjust to fit. as i said i called penske directly in Reading Pa where they actually build the shocks per-order, being a costly upgrade you need some luck to find someone with a similar setup as you desire. several members myself included have installed Penske shocks on Hammer's with great results, considering the Hammer is prolly Vic's worse riding bike. Conquest Customs is now listing Penske's for baggers, call Scott there he's very good to deal with

1 - 20 of 20 Posts