Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it out of the impound where it sat outside for a year. Before pic is right after I got it home. Right now pic was taken about 10 minutes ago. Charged the battery it seems ok but turning key and hit starter button produces nothing. Would like to crank it, that would be a testament to quality. Any comments are taken as constructive and again I am thinking bobber here so any help would be welcomed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Was the impound yard a police auction or was it yours when it went in? Hopefully you got it out of the impound yard for very little money. Ebay, the forums and the Victory Motorcycles Buy and Sell pages on Facebook will be your friend. No idea how available or expensive the forks are for the V92 models. If someone has a set they're likely worth very little until someone shows an interest. Like if you found a set at a mostly H-D parts swap meet from a H-D parts vendor they'd be glad just not to have to repack them in their truck.

Others on here will know more than I do about what other forks fit the bike with little to no alteration. Once again, Polaris likely didn't 'design' a set of forks, they very likely just ensured their frame neck fit one of a few standard length form stems. And also selected springs from basic offerings.

Others will also know more about the transmission and what realistic and potential issues it could have. The more details you can post about the bike and where/how you ended up with it the better people will be able to help you. Perhaps someone may even know some of the bike's history.

Post away.

PS - a well sorted V92 is a wonderful motorcycle.

·
13,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Yeah bob/chop it.
Clean all battery and starter and earth terminals first...its got oil in it..?
Don't ask what sort..:devil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how I got it

One night stupid noob with this bike just 4 days after purchase, ran from some of my associates. While attempting a quick exit from I35 in Waco Tx, he lost it. He went to hospital followed by the Mclennan County Hilton. Bike ended up upside down like when we worked on our old bicycles. It sat in a pile in an outside impound almost 2 years. I finally asked the yard owner about it and took it home for 300

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
One night stupid noob with this bike just 4 days after purchase, ran from some of my associates. While attempting a quick exit from I35 in Waco Tx, he lost it. He went to hospital followed by the Mclennan County Hilton. Bike ended up upside down like when we worked on our old bicycles. It sat in a pile in an outside impound almost 2 years. I finally asked the yard owner about it and took it home for 300
It's not impossible to put a different bikes front end on another motorcycle.
Generally it requires a custom made neck stem and after market fork tubes to get it right.

You also have to pay attention to the differences in how the bars are mounted
especially if you want to simply reuse the electrical controls and hand controls which is the way to go BTW.

But you really want to sit down and think it through before you decide to buy the new fork.
You need to understand what it takes to get that fork to actually mount to that bike. You need to be sure you can either have those parts made of obtain them from the after market before you spend money on the new fork. You need to solve all your problems before you put money on your new fork because there will certainly be a few you failed to foresee once you get started.

If you don't do your homework the project becomes a money pit. But if you do your homework it can be done, often for not a huge sum of money and often it is an upgrade to the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice, particularly on the forks, because I was not sure whether all Victory's would interchange or not. One guy thought he could fix them, I told him when I replaced them he could have them and straighten to his hearts content.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Good advice, particularly on the forks, because I was not sure whether all Victory's would interchange or not. One guy thought he could fix them, I told him when I replaced them he could have them and straighten to his hearts content.
If it is just the tubes that are bent and not the tree and the lower legs are not damaged,
You could call Racetech and ask them if they know who the manufacturer is for that fork is . They might be able to identify it for you. They may have a line on tubes, they will have internal parts most likely.

With or without an ID I'd give franks forks a call. They might be able to whip you up a set or have something on the shelf that will work.
Franks Forks ? The leader in replacement motorcycle forks.
Never know till you call.
I've used franks forks in the past they are OK. or were then. At that time they only came in show chrome which isn't ideal for a fork but looks great. It was what everyone was demanding. They were a quality item and always fit well. That was 30 yrs ago and nothing is the same today as it was then. That they are still in business says a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure whether the trees are bent, can't crank it though and have not figured out why. Battery is hot, key turns and I can hear pump whine, starter button nothing. Kill switch is off, anyway forks are the last of my frame and bent parts concerns. Maybe if push comes to shove another Victory model can serve as donor.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Not sure whether the trees are bent, can't crank it though and have not figured out why. Battery is hot, key turns and I can hear pump whine, starter button nothing. Kill switch is off, anyway forks are the last of my frame and bent parts concerns. Maybe if push comes to shove another Victory model can serve as donor.
Mike have you considered starting another thread about your failure to crank problem.
I can't help you because I don't a similar bike.
I'm not sure what the circuit is that gets the solenoid to engage.
I'm pretty sure that there are people here that have fought with that model when it wouldn't start that could help you out. Your most likely to get their attention by placing the model and problem in the title of another thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts