Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spark plug question here:

I bought my 2003 V92C Classic Cruiser in November with 16K miles on the clock. It's now pushing 19K miles.

The other day I was at the Victory dealership in Huntsville and thought it's probably time to pick up some new spark plugs since I have no idea if they've ever been changed.

The manual calls for NGK CR7EB spark plugs, and these are what are in the bike now. Probably the originals.

Anyways, the parts guy at the dealership at first said he didn't have any plugs to fit my bike, but after consulting with another guy and clicking on the computer for a few minutes said the CR7EB has been superseded by the NGK CPR6EB-9. Okay, it's an 8-year-old bike, sounds reasonable, so I bought two of those for 17 bucks and change. :confused:

So this morning I go out to change the plugs and when I pulled the old ones (which looked okay visually BTW) and compared them to the new ones, the new plugs extend nearly a quarter inch deeper into the head.
WTF?

Now I'm wondering if they sold me the wrong ones. :mad:

Does anybody know if the original spec'd plug has been replaced by this longer model? Bike is not running bad. And now I'm afraid to put them in until I find out for sure.

Thanks!
David

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... now I'm afraid to put them in until I find out for sure.
David, I support you in your fear. Do not put them in until you find out for sure.

Btw, in case you end up not using the new ones, do a Google search and there are plenty of sites selling the NGK CR7EB spark plugs online.

·
13,235 Posts
Dealer bend me over.
I went to fleet farm and bought my plugs NGK's for 4 a piece and my frame filter for 6 bucks.
I'm all for giving the dealer money but come on.
You have to be smart about something and with gas going to 5 dollars a gallon you have to save when you can.
No kiss from the dealer or Obama just bend over

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dealer bend me over.
I went to fleet farm and bought my plugs NGK's for 4 a piece and my frame filter for 6 bucks.
I'm all for giving the dealer money but come on.
You have to be smart about something and with gas going to 5 dollars a gallon you have to save when you can.
No kiss from the dealer or Obama just bend over
Great price for the spark plugs. I wouldn't run a Fram filter if they gave it to me. Use the search function and you'll find out most people avoid that filter:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
David I use CPR6EB-9 in my 2005 V-92 Touring cruiser. without any problems. Gapped 0.032 inch (.08 mm) Tourqued 96 in. i Buy them at NAPA auto parts for about 4 bucks. These are the plugs for my bike. Not sure if the plugs are too long for your bike. They work in my V-92

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David I use CPR6EB-9 in my 2005 V-92 Touring cruiser. without any problems. Gapped 0.032 inch (.08 mm) Tourqued 96 in. i Buy them at NAPA auto parts for about 4 bucks. These are the plugs for my bike. Not sure if the plugs are too long for your bike. They work in my V-92
The service manual for the V92 (2002-2004) calls for different plugs, depending on year and model...

"2002-2003 - NGK CR7EB; 2004 Touring Cruiser - NGK CPR6EA-9"

I suspect the CPR6EA-9 was superseded by the CPR6EB-9 for the later 92 Cu In Victories and that's the plug they sold me.

BTW, I called the local Advance Auto Parts and they say they have the NGK plug spec'd in the manual for $3.95 each. Gonna take one with me to compare before I buy though.

That's right about half the price the dealer charged me (for the WRONG plugs).

I say... watch out for the Huntsville AL Victory dealer. Those guys are morons.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's one for you David .Go to NGKsparkplugs.com and check out the website. I just went to it and under the installation instructions part there is a "how to decode plug part numbers" at step 8 of the tutorial. It was pretty cool it even has videos and talks about heat ranges and neat stuff like that. Check it out. - mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New plugs installed...

Well, true to their word Advance Auto Parts had two CR7EB plugs (the correct ones spec'd for my bike) waiting with my name on the bag the following morning. thumb up

The total was just over $8 for both plugs, which was less than half what CYCLE NATION OF HUNTSVILLE, Alabama charged me for the WRONG ones!.

Installing the plugs I checked the gap and it was already set to .8 mm (.032").

BTW, the old plugs were marked CR7E and I'm guessing they've been in there since the bike was built in 2003. They weren't fouled, but the center electrode had begun to round a bit.

The bike seems to run a very slight bit smoother; hopefully it'll help the current 33 mpg I'm getting (albeit with a sidecar in tow!)

We'll see. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Photo of the Canine Chariot:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice ride for the labs david. Really not bad on the MPG I get around 35 without a sidecar. have fun . mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts