Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason why an 05 Ness kingpin would be a poor purchase? I found a stealership willing to offer me a "great deal" on my 07 Yamaha 1300 tourer and I've got practically nothing into this old Yamaha.
So they have a kingpin, a few old fatboys, and a nice HD deuce, but the kingpin has been on my mind as a decent buy.

I currently have an o7 victory jackpot that I enjoy a lot, but its no long haul touring bike like what I would really want to replace my Yamaha with......
ideas?
Known issues???

·
Registered
149 Posts
That dealership is always posting "amazing" deals. No personal experience, but I have heard that by the time you get there, the vehicle is 1/3 higher than what the showed it as. I think I did email them a while ago about a bike, never got a response.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thats beautiful!
Dunno about the wierd looking bags though...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a little rough around the edges, but an overall okay bike.
plenty of scuffs, scratches, a few paint chips, and some pitting on the chrome triple tree covers, and some very weird scratches on the lowest part of the forks..... under the axle.... strange

I'm curious why there is an o/d on the tachometer?? is this an indicator for the overdrive that I have never heard of on a victory kingpin??

its not a perfect fit for what I want, but its a great replacement for my Yamaha v star 1300 (once I get new bags for it )
:smile

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
doesn't look like a bad deal. Shock they don't say the mileage.
make sure it has 2 new tires you know there not cheap.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcd/5392682627.html
Nice Ness Kingpin. Price is sure good. Has all the premium parts plus the Ness upgrades for that year including the headlight, handlebars, taillight, wheels, cheese wedges, mirrors, grips, and signed side covers.

Chances are this bike will be a collectors item in the future if maintained in the current condition.

I agree about those Corbin Beetle Bags; they just have to go. Hard to believe Corbin ever came out with these. I bet they face palm when asked about it these days.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I had a 05 Pin and loved it. My wife didn't like riding on it long distance though. So I bought an XR. She liked it better for comfort. But in all fairness , she rarely rides with me anyway. We're suppose to ride up to Laughlin in February, so hopefully she likes the new XC even better.
If you're wife likes to ride a lot with you, I would consider a Cross bike. You can get them used under $10,000 now a days too. And you will both be way more comfortable two-up. JIMHO

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm with Tarzan, not really a touring scoot, but one hell of a hopper at a good price!

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
There are better bikes for touring but younger people can easily tour on it. A Kingpin is in a museum where, after 200k miles, it was retired. Another KP, ridden by Rollin, a well known Iron Butt rider, rode one all over the country and even up to Alaska. They can be a touring bike for sure but probably better to ride one up when doing long distance touring. Another option would be to attach a hitch to it and pull a bike trailer. Could go 2 up that way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm only considering it b/ I have a trade they will offer me a great price on....
anyone have an opinion on my 2007 v star 1300 tourer vs. this 2005 kingpin??

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
No comparison really its apples and cucumbers.
You say youve got a jackpot so you would know the kingpins very similar. Kingpins no long distance hauler really any more than your Jackpot is.
I suggest you ride a Cross Country as its more in your league for what you desire of a bike.
Whats wrong with your v-star 1300 anyway?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There isn't anything wrong with my vstar, but I consider trading "up" every few years or so.
I own 4 bikes now and ride the jackpot mostly around town and it is more like a "show" bike or a fun bike to ride locally to bike night or short distances.

I would trade the vstar for a nicer/ more attractive/ similar bike since i traded for it. The vstar is for the "rare" chance that my wife wants to take a longer trip, my youngest child wants to ride (sissy bar), and is the "comfortable" bike. The vstar is also a bike that I wouldn't hesitate to toss the keys to anyone I trust riding my bikes and I have no worries about it behaving weird or having inherent "quirks". Unlike my jackpot (turns like a tank and backfires sometimes), triumph Bonneville (has a terrible flat spot in midrange), and aprilia RSV tuono (too powerful for mere mortals) that all have little issues or aren't really good bikes to hand over to anyone that isn't a seasoned veteran...

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
There isn't anything wrong with my vstar, but I consider trading "up" every few years or so.
I own 4 bikes now and ride the jackpot mostly around town and it is more like a "show" bike or a fun bike to ride locally to bike night or short distances.

I would trade the vstar for a nicer/ more attractive/ similar bike since i traded for it. The vstar is for the "rare" chance that my wife wants to take a longer trip, my youngest child wants to ride (sissy bar), and is the "comfortable" bike. The vstar is also a bike that I wouldn't hesitate to toss the keys to anyone I trust riding my bikes and I have no worries about it behaving weird or having inherent "quirks". Unlike my jackpot (turns like a tank and backfires sometimes), triumph Bonneville (has a terrible flat spot in midrange), and aprilia RSV tuono (too powerful for mere mortals) that all have little issues or aren't really good bikes to hand over to anyone that isn't a seasoned veteran...
http://www.victoryforums.com/15-victory-forums-lounge/151930-no-good-deed-goes-unpunished.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I have had it happen once (or twice), but I seldom loan out any of my bikes.
My exceptions would be...
my father-in-law has a 650 vstar he rides daily
my brother who owns an HD fatbob
and my co-worker who rides with me when I ride to lunch locally sometimes

hence the kingpin trade would be a trade "up" since it would be for me and the wife doesn't ride enough to sway my judgement too much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a KP And love it No problems taking it on long trips at all 400 TO 500 Miles a day No windshield Just a pair of bags Mostly ride one up Corners awesome Best all around bike I have eve owned The wife has a V-Star 1100 250 Miles and she is starting to complain

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 2005 Kingpin. I commute on it and generally put in 120 miles a day. My wife could only go about 20 minutes at a crack on my old bike ('05 Suzuki M50) but is good for 90 minutes or more on the Kingpin. Plus it handles really well for a cruiser and the old 92" freedom is more powerful than you might think. Yes, a Vision is a better touring bike, but I picked up my Kingpin for a little over $5k 2 years ago and you can't even think of touching a Cross bike or Vision for that price. Look on the forums here. The most common sentiment among Kingpin owners is they don't want to give up their Kingpin. That should tell you all you need to know about Kingpins.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts