Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Vegas that I’ve owned a week. It is now an old bike. I don’t even remember what I was doing in 2004. A lot has happened since then in the motorcycle world but here I am with this one.

It’s new to me! It looks new. It is barely broken in at 12,000 miles. Previous original owner added a shield, factory bars that stretch back, tag relocation with leds, signals in the fender, an RPW 2in1 exhaust, and mustang his/hers seats with back supports.

I’ve only had this old bike a week. Only adjusted idle, added air to tires, and lowered the bars a tad.

I’ve estimated I’m getting around 42-45 mpg. So far, I’ve learned from you guys how to clean and lube clutch, remove tank and clean TB, adjust the idle, and load the gears.

I’ll put all of this to good use because it looks like this old bike is easier to work on than some of my previous bikes. I don’t like to wrench on my rides but it saves time and $$ so make good cents.

I’m probably a rare breed in that I never care to change the stock look of bikes. My priority is making my ride better by being pro-active rather than reactive in its care.

I want tires, oil, gas, spark, shifting, and brakes, and so on to be the best it can be. My life depends on it. A few weeks ago, a guy locally, had a blowout, lost control, and died.

I made a stupid mistake and almost pulled in front of a car going 70 this week. I love riding and know the dangers. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to ride safely for as long as I’m able.

So, as someone who is not loyal to any brand, and who learns from mistakes, this old man and this old bike have some miles and years to cover. I’m hoping it will take me into my retirement years. Then I’ll upgrade to a solar powered hover craft. Maybe it’ll be a Harley!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Congrats on your veteran Vegas. Out of curiosity old man, just how old an old man are you?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I'm very close to 56. Third year to be riding. Plan to ride way into my 80's. thumb up
Well youngster, I'm 2-1/2 years from riding in my 80s. I have a riding jacket older than you.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I'm not sure I would call an 04 Vegas old more like seasoned. :D

Congrats on the new (old) ride I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can I ask why you adjusted the idle? I know on some bikes when the idle gets lowered it will cause the oil pressure to drop and cause damage to the engine. Not sure how sensitive the Vic engines are to this. Enjoy the ride and remember we are invisible out there!
It was around 500-700 rpms. A slight adjustment up
and it's perfect. I think he had it low for the HD effect. I kept stalling it out and was hard to crank. All is fine now!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I have a good friend that's been riding for 50 years. He retires next year and I'm jealous.
I just retired at 77 and have a friend who's 88 and still rides long distance events. I'm just a piker compared to him. My bestest riding pal is 81. I can't stop growing older, but I can stop growing old!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just retired at 77 and have a friend who's 88 and still rides long distance events. I'm just a piker compared to him. My bestest riding pal is 81. I can't stop growing older, but I can stop growing old!
Well! You are my hero! I'm a kid in my mind when I'm riding. I'm drinking in sights, sounds, and smells. I'm living, not dying!

This is you and your buddies and I want to be just like you. cheersthumb up

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Well! You are my hero! I'm a kid in my mind when I'm riding. I'm drinking in sights, sounds, and smells. I'm living, not dying!

This is you and your buddies and I want to be just like you. cheersthumb up
Many thanks Dill. Hey, I'm a kid at heart too. When I'm with those your age and younger, in my mind, I'm of the same age too.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
At 51 I guess I'm a kid.
So at what point does dust blow out when you fart? :D :D

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 57. I suffer from chronic pain and have nerve damage to my left hand and arm BUT when I get on my bike, the pain leaves me and I am able to handle the bike like I have no ailments. I'd live on my bike if I could.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hey, who thinks being old is funny? Let me be the first to tell you it is not. Ricz has it right. We old farts, and I include him, ride because we enjoy it. You kids can make fun of us all you like but do you really ride whenever you can or do you wait for nice weather?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts