Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hooked on watching it. I'm enve of all the talented athletes. Don't much care what country they represent. I was reading how much a figuerskater coast just to make it to the olympics and you would need ten jobs to pay for the coast

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Lots of sports are pretty expensive just to participate. Hockey alone can cost 4 to 8 thousand a year just to play. That's not counting equipment, tournaments or weekend schools. Some figure skaters have the entire rink to book sometimes. Ski hill passes, private coaches, etc. It's not just practice that gets you that far.

Lots of hard work and sacrifice will get you there but the Olympics have long been a venue for the rich. You may recall the problems a few years ago regarding the cost and under the table shenanigans of some of the selection committee members just to get them to look at the submission of some cities. Also the recent attempt to remove wrestling from the summer games. Remove wrestling??? One of the foundation sports of the Olympics? Reason is rich kids don't wrestle. They bounce balls and wave streamers on the end of sticks while dancing.

I do like to watch but prefer the contests of skill and timing and lots of action. Downhill racing, hockey, ski jumping and short track racing are some of my favourites. Cross country skiing is a bit like baseball; fun to do but boring to watch. The sports that are voted on by judges have had many corruption problems in the past and are a bit fluffy to be taken seriously. (in my opinion of course)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree on with you on the events that are subject to judging and corruption...it can be frustrating. I was forced to watch skating the other night and some russian skater fell twice and got a higher score than 2 other guys that were error free.

Oh, and this Texas boy really needs someone to explain the rules of curling to him.

Reactions: depot picker

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
@Bigmike17 Curling is simple. The team closest to the center gets the points.

Winner counts the rocks outwards from the center until the opposing teams rocks are encountered. Think of horseshoes on ice.

The ice is not flat like a skating rink. They lay down the top coat so that it's all bumpy like small bubble wrap. When you spin the rock there is more drag on the inside of the spin so the rock actually "curls" in that direction. The brooms polish the ice which gives less drag. When they are sweeping the rock goes straighter because of less drag. When they stop sweeping the rock curls more. With that off and on sweeping they can control the path of the rock.

Guards out front are a bit of strategy. Put the blockers where you want them so the skip (usually best player) who throws last can finesse his way around the guards and get closest to the button. Guards are also used to block the other team.

Top curlers and sweepers can hit what they want with some pretty consistent results.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Thanks Canuck...I always wondered about curling and now I (we) know.

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Athletes will receive 15 condoms each for the 17-day festival
Thats 150,000 its 50,000 more then the last olympics.
I would never of guessed there was that much screwing going on

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Are there medals awarded for that event? :nerd

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Two nights of rest.

·
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is another one. Samsung gave all contestants a Galaxy 8 but north korea had to give theres back cause there not allowed to have phones

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Here is another one. Samsung gave all contestants a Galaxy 8 but north korea had to give theres back cause there not allowed to have phones
Did they have to give their condoms back too? ...poor bastards!....mummy won't let em have a phone:crying

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Thats to stop em txting each other mid race:grin
Aint ya glad ya got liberty and freedom hey!

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Sometimes you need to wear 2 condoms just to protect yourself from permanent brain damage, and of course the ladies of the beach fullyball team stopped even cars in the middle of the road

This fenomenen is called permanent brain damage caused by psychiatry waking up and seeing what you have "done" last night

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts