Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I've been lurking on this forum for about a week reading all the threads since my husband traded his 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 for a 2009 Victory Kingpin Tour in midnight cherry and Pearl. We both ride and I also have a 2005 shadow aero 750 I've been riding for the last 7 years. But since planting my butt on his Kingpin and blasting down the road, I want one too! We both were looking for more power for those road trips we take. We both love how the Kingpin looks and handles and are really disappointed that they quit making them in 2012. I have seen pics of the 2011 Kingpin in that Sandstone and Pearl and love that color, but it seems there isn't any to be found. Apparently everyone who owns one loves it too and isn't selling it. :mad: my hubby said to get the 2012 silver and Pearl, but that silver looks a little pale??

If I ever found a Kingpin with lower miles on it, I would have to make some modifications as I did with my Aero. I am 5'3 1/2 and 140 pounds so I would need some risers and to lower it a tad. Possibly modify the seat at meancity cycles to push me forward a little more. Is there any females on here that ride a Victory? particularly a Kingpin?

We both look forward to picking y'all's brains when we have questions. I'm usually the one doing the asking for both of us because hubby isn't real computer savvy...hope ya don't mind. thumb up;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Good ol' VJ did some legwork for ya!

It is true that you just don't see a lot of used KPs show up on dealer floors. But perhaps, as VJ has gone to show, there's some private offerings to be had.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the help with the listings. ;) We have also been combing the internet and called on a few that caught our eye that hadn't been modified to where they weren't recognizable, and they've been sold. My husband found his at a Harley dealer, so I know they're out there...maybe just not at a Victory dealer.

I was really hoping to find one, especially a Touring one, with the stock paint, not one that had been painted or worse yet(for me) with flames or skulls. :rolleyes:
I REALLY want that 2011 sandstone and Pearl. So if y'all happen to see that 2011 sandstone with lower miles, please shoot me a message. I found a sandstone one online set up real nice with Tsykayu vinyl covered bags, trunk, driver backrest and a custom painted fairing...but it had 31,000 miles on it. :crzy: I'd rather not get one with that kind of miles on it because I plan on putting on a whole bunch myself. :p

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
test ride

Lluce personally I had test rode the Kingpins a few years back when they were still building them. I also test road a CrossRoads. They ask me at the demo which bike I would want if I were to buy, I said I guess the Kingpin because it fit me so well, but I really liked the CrossRoads because of the ride. I ended up buying a CrossRoads a few months later a 2011, got 20K miles on it now. Point being is they told me they have adjustable floor boards and foot controls. At the time I was looking to buy they had set one up for a lady that was 4'9" tall, that's right below 5' tall. I sat on it, it felt great to me and I am 5'7". They actually lowered it 1" and set the stock floorboards and controls back for her. My point being they have quit building the CrossRoads for 2015. Maybe you could get a 8-Ball CrossRoads left over 2014 or 2013 brand new for a great deal, worth a shot. They have bags already, adjustable controls and rear air shock for a smooth ride. Good luck. Hope you get what you want.Good luck, keep us posted. Hey for the money 10K it might be worth checking out the new Indian Scout, much less than the Victorys and it comes water cooled for a good price.thumb up

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you should find that one. We did too several days ago. He takes email only so we replied and ask a couple questions and he replied and then we emailed to start making arrangements to come see it and he never replied again. We waited a day or two thinking he was busy or gone and shot another email to him with our phone number and said we were interested and ask if it was still for sale. He never did answer. So I don't know if the dude died or just isn't interested in selling his bike he listed or what. I'm always leary of most Craigslist and this kind of behavior from people just confirms it for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG, I'm so excited! This is the one I just told you hadn't answered in a couple days. We just got an email back. Supposedly his iPhone had crashed and he apologized for the delay getting back to us. He sent additional pictures of that beautiful sandstone color. :) is that a reasonable price? Wish it already had crash bars and a windshield, but I can get those with the other stuff I plan on for it. It sure has the low miles I'm after. dance 1dance 1

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know you love the Kingpin... I think we all do! But, with you being a small lady, have you considered the new Gunner? A trip to Tuscumbia, AL. and you can ride one. Heck, the guys at Shoals Outdoor Sports said I could ride all the models to figure out what was best for me.http://www.shoalsoutdoorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=795465&p=1&make=victory&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F1691201-0-5252041.png&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter

We liked the XC and then they let let us ride the color we were interested in too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say that sounds like a pretty decent price since it has such low miles. I like that color too
We offered him 9 and he accepted. So I think that's even better isn't it?? We're driving to see, test ride, and head to his bank Tuesday if it's all good, since his bank has a lien on the title.

I don't know how to upload pics on here or I'd upload a much better pic of the sandstone color he sent us. The pics in that ad aren't very good as far as seeing the color. Also, can anyone tell me about this stage 1 exhaust it has? How is it different than stock? I know the swept exhaust looks different, but what exactly does stage 1 mean? Is the sound different louder? or just appearance? Also, where can I get the Victory windshield? Only from a dealer? The one that comes on the kingpin Tour with the wide shiny V on the front is what I want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you love the Kingpin... I think we all do! But, with you being a small lady, have you considered the new Gunner? A trip to Tuscumbia, AL. and you can ride one. Heck, the guys at Shoals Outdoor Sports said I could ride all the models to figure out what was best for me.http://www.shoalsoutdoorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=795465&p=1&make=victory&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F1691201-0-5252041.png&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter

We liked the XC and then they let let us ride the color we were interested in too.
To be honest, I just loved the fender and the sleekness of the Kingpin and the awesome ride and handling. After riding my husbands and other than the mods I need to make and even had to do on my Aero...mainly adding risers, I am kind of a stubborn lady to change my mind. Lol!

Now...about those risers.. Who's added some and what kind looks good on the Kingpin and where did y'all get them? I had Phat risers on my Aero, but not sure they would look right on the kingpin or even fit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We offered him 9 and he accepted. So I think that's even better isn't it?? We're driving to see, test ride, and head to his bank Tuesday if it's all good, since his bank has a lien on the title.

I don't know how to upload pics on here or I'd upload a much better pic of the sandstone color he sent us. The pics in that ad aren't very good as far as seeing the color. Also, can anyone tell me about this stage 1 exhaust it has? How is it different than stock? I know the swept exhaust looks different, but what exactly does stage 1 mean? Is the sound different louder? or just appearance? Also, where can I get the Victory windshield? Only from a dealer? The one that comes on the kingpin Tour with the wide shiny V on the front is what I want.

With the low miles I'd say you've got a great deal if the bike is clean. I hope congrats aren't premature. I sure hope the deal comes together for you.

Edit: I think it's great that you know what you want and are planning a way forward.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the low miles I'd say you've got a great deal if the bike is clean. I hope congrats aren't premature. I sure hope the deal comes together for you.

Edit: I think it's great that you know what you want and are planning a way forward.
Thanks! The pics of the bike he sent looked flawless and very clean, just as the ad says. I hope everything all comes together and this is an honest seller with nothing up his sleeve. Because we are honest people and expect everyone else to be the same. But sometimes people aren't.
I had such fun getting accessories for my Aero and making it my own and put 50,000 miles on it in 7 years I had it. I look forward to doing the same with this one and many more years of riding! I absolutely love to ride and it's going to be so nice being able to get out on the highway at speed without being vibrated plumb off the thing. My aero was good for everything else but 60+ mph. Lol!

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Also, can anyone tell me about this stage 1 exhaust it has? How is it different than stock? I know the swept exhaust looks different, but what exactly does stage 1 mean? Is the sound different louder? or just appearance? Also, where can I get the Victory windshield? Only from a dealer? The one that comes on the kingpin Tour with the wide shiny V on the front is what I want.
Those are the Stage 1 Crossbow exhausts. If it was put on by the dealer then a Stage 1 tune was downloaded to the onboard ECM computer. Coupled with a freer flowing air filter it will have much better power. Check out THIS LINK to learn more about the 2011 KP.

To be honest, I just loved the fender and the sleekness of the Kingpin and the awesome ride and handling. After riding my husbands and other than the mods I need to make and even had to do on my Aero...mainly adding risers, I am kind of a stubborn lady to change my mind. Lol!

Now...about those risers.. Who's added some and what kind looks good on the Kingpin and where did y'all get them? I had Phat risers on my Aero, but not sure they would look right on the kingpin or even fit.
Some of the most comfortable handlebars I have ridden a JP and KP with are the Ness Fly Bars. For your height I bet they would be just right. They are one piece and eliminate the risers.

This is my old, and now gone, KP with the Fly Bars to give you and idea how they sit. I installed some 1" risers on these but you probably would not want or need them.

If you take a look at THIS LINK you will see how they look on a JP (Jackpot). The added tach is a great addition too. I really use mine all the time.

Good luck with the buy. It's a good deal on a practically brand new bike which in my humble opinion is the best way, when possible, to buy one.

Something you may not be aware of concerning the Victory motors/trans. They are made to last 100k but will last much much longer if ridden and maintained correctly. There's no reason they shouldn't go 200k miles so a used Vic with 30k or 40k+ miles is really no big deal like it is on some other brands. Just be ready to get used to noises that are different. After a while your ear gets used to them and you don't even notice them unless you want to.

One other nice thing. Beginning in 2011 they put the new style trans that has the neutral assist which just means when you are stopped and in first gear you just shift up and it automagically goes into neutral. Some of them had some extra noise in the primary which I believe was fixed via recall or if a customer complained. Not all of them had it and some had it when new and went away after few k miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are the Stage 1 Crossbow exhausts. If it was put on by the dealer then a Stage 1 tune was downloaded to the onboard ECM computer. Coupled with a freer flowing air filter it will have much better power. Check out THIS LINK to learn more about the 2011 KP.

Okay, thanks. I doubt that I will need more power than what the bike already has. I'm coming off of a 750cc so I imagine this 106 will seem like a Lear jet to me. ;)

Some of the most comfortable handlebars I have ridden a JP and KP with are the Ness Fly Bars. For your height I bet they would be just right. They are one piece and eliminate the risers.

This is my old, and now gone, KP with the Fly Bars to give you and idea how they sit. I installed some 1" risers on these but you probably would not want or need them.

I've didn't have to change handlebars on my Aero, just put risers on that raised and pulled back for me because the stock handlebars were perfect otherwise. On my husbands Kingpin I noticed they had our arms out away from our body a lot more. I kind of felt like a sail going down the road. He rotated the handlebars down some, more toward the tank and that helped him. But I'm looking to be in a much more relaxed position...arms down and closer to my body. Those fly bars will do that?

If you take a look at THIS LINK you will see how they look on a JP (Jackpot). The added tach is a great addition too. I really use mine all the time.

Good luck with the buy. It's a good deal on a practically brand new bike which in my humble opinion is the best way, when possible, to buy one.

Something you may not be aware of concerning the Victory motors/trans. They are made to last 100k but will last much much longer if ridden and maintained correctly. There's no reason they shouldn't go 200k miles so a used Vic with 30k or 40k+ miles is really no big deal like it is on some other brands. Just be ready to get used to noises that are different. After a while your ear gets used to them and you don't even notice them unless you want to.

We noticed right away the different sounding engine and "clunking" when shifting. The breather sounds were really strange sounding to my ears. I heard more front end sounds than from the exhaust. Lol! I've been reading every article and review I can find on the King pin, both the 2009(hubby's) and the 2011. I was glad to read that the lower controls were moved back 2 inches on the 2011 and they got rid of that heel shifter.

One other nice thing. Beginning in 2011 they put the new style trans that has the neutral assist which just means when you are stopped and in first gear you just shift up and it automagically goes into neutral. Some of them had some extra noise in the primary which I believe was fixed via recall or if a customer complained. Not all of them had it and some had it when new and went away after few k miles.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it and having this forum available. I learned so much from the nice folks on the Aero board for my Honda, so I'm glad to see there is an active forum for the Victory too. thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
But I'm looking to be in a much more relaxed position...arms down and closer to my body. Those fly bars will do that?
They did for me. I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to sit on a bike with them installed. You can find out the height and pullback then when you get your bike you can put your hands where they would be with them on. It's not 100% but it will give you more of an idea. They also look excellent to my eye but that is a subjective thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts