Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Anyone know if its possible to fit an open belt drive on to the primary drive of a victory jackpot ? and if so what is involved.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have never seen or even heard of an open primary for any Victory. I think open primary's on HD are bad ass, but on a Victory it may not be feasible due to Victory's use of gears instead of belts or chains. It would be a nightmare should something get caught in the gears...say a rock, a pant leg or a foot, lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have never seen or even heard of an open primary for any Victory. I think open primary's on HD are bad ass, but on a Victory it may not be feasible due to Victory's use of gears instead of belts or chains. It would be a nightmare should something get caught in the gears...say a rock, a pant leg or a foot, lol.

a friend of mine was running an open belt primary on a Harley, he went to bike week and a car pulled out in front of him. he slid down on the left side and his foot got caught under the spinning clutch, it was not pretty. it ground off the inside of his ankle. they had to pin his foot all back together. after about a year he could walk again and after several years he can walk almost without a limp.

·
Registered
170 Posts
a friend of mine was running an open belt primary on a Harley, he went to bike week and a car pulled out in front of him. he slid down on the left side and his foot got caught under the spinning clutch, it was not pretty. it ground off the inside of his ankle. they had to pin his foot all back together. after about a year he could walk again and after several years he can walk almost without a limp.
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. Like I said...open primarys LOOK bad-ass...but they are meat-grinders. I wouldn't chance it.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
It would be badd ass, but it would take lots of re engineering. Gear drive and torqu compensator would have to go bye bye. So a new crank gear and clutch gear would have to be created. Then one would have to deal with the starter gear reduction because that can't just be left out in the elements. Next would be the alternater. The stator is on the primary cover. If the cover goes away, so does the stator.

Not impossible, but it would be a one off project. I feel it would be really cool, but too much work and expense to actually accomplish. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like already mentioned haven't seen any open primary conversion for these bikes due to the design. Closest you can get would be an open belt drive for the front drive pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts