Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I made for myself in my little leather shop at home. I works well but I'm curious to hear what others think about how it looks and if others might be interested in something like this during the hot Summer months for their steel-frame Vic.

It's made of 13 oz tooling cowhide and currently has no die or finish on it so it's unfinished right now. This is just a preliminary cut but is close to what the end product would be. Ultimately it will be either black or mahogany in color with a leather stiffening agent to preserve the shape. It's bolted on underneath a large washer with the back tank bolt.

So... What do you think?

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and even though I'm thinking of marketing these for sale, I'm going to publish the final pattern for those who might prefer to make one for themselves. It takes a bit to do so I'm not worried about anyone who is into leather working to make one or more. I will ask that anyone using the pattern not use it for profit though.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Looks like you could turn it into a holster!

No really it looks great and if it works as good as it looks then you have a hit!

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is something I made for myself in my little leather shop at home. I works well but I'm curious to hear what others think about how it looks and if others might be interested in something like this during the hot Summer months for their steel-frame Vic.

It's made of 13 oz tooling cowhide and currently has no die or finish on it so it's unfinished right now. This is just a preliminary cut but is close to what the end product would be. Ultimately it will be either black or mahogany in color with a leather stiffening agent to preserve the shape. It's bolted on underneath a large washer with the back tank bolt.

So... What do you think?

Let me see it in black, ask a reasonable price, and you have yourself your first customer.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bob...as you know, I have been an OUTSPOKEN ADVOCATE of someone designing something like this...

I want to give you my honest opinion...first, I think it is a GREAT IDEA and I can't think of any other way to deflect some of the heat other than the way you have done it. I think BLACK would actually help the esthetics of it...

BUT, something like that sticking out from the bike looks UGLY. NOT YOUR WORK, just the fact that we have to use something like this to gain some comfort.

HOWEVER, with that said...I always want to support people that take an untapped concept and make an attempt to make it work.

If you decide on selling them, I will buy one.

Thank you for working on this...and even if you sold a BUTT LOAD of them, usually people that do these things do it for the enjoyment of just doing or the enjoyment of "figuring" it out...you will NOT be compensated for your knowledge and your time unfortunately.

Like I said, I'll buy one IN BLACK PLEASE.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bob...as you know, I have been an OUTSPOKEN ADVOCATE of someone designing something like this...

I want to give you my honest opinion...first, I think it is a GREAT IDEA and I can't think of any other way to deflect some of the heat other than the way you have done it. I think BLACK would actually help the esthetics of it...

BUT, something like that sticking out from the bike looks UGLY. NOT YOUR WORK, just the fact that we have to use something like this to gain some comfort.

HOWEVER, with that said...I always want to support people that take an untapped concept and make an attempt to make it work.

If you decide on selling them, I will buy one.

Thank you for working on this...and even if you sold a BUTT LOAD of them, usually people that do these things do it for the enjoyment of just doing or the enjoyment of "figuring" it out...you will NOT be compensated for your knowledge and your time unfortunately.

Like I said, I'll buy one IN BLACK PLEASE.
+1 on the above.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Does Chrome stick to leather???

Just Kidding. It looks like it would work as you say, but I'm not sure I can get past the looks. That could be just because of the raw leather and I'd like it much better in black. Hopefully you'll post pictures of that option soon.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I did a test run today and found I'm 50% there. As in it was fifty percent better. I'm good with that so when I make some modifications to this piece; I'll go ahead and dye it black so we can see it in that perspective. Obviously; only 100% better is acceptable and that's where it will be when I make it available to anyone wanting one.

Thanks to all who commented. I really appreciate your input!!!

You all rock!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks Bob...R&D although fun, can be tedious. I am looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Man, I bet that helps a lot. I have been considering doing something about mine lately. My Kingpin is like a furnace through that area. I am up for one when you finalize this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I rode for a few hours yesterday in 90-100 degree heat and I haven't noticed any heat off of my Vegas, maybe something is wrong with mine :confused:

I personally wouldn't put it on my bike in it's current form, maybe if you could somehow integrate it behind the side cover, that way it doesn't really block the paint, just the engine.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I rode for a few hours yesterday in 90-100 degree heat and I haven't noticed any heat off of my Vegas, maybe something is wrong with mine :confused:

I personally wouldn't put it on my bike in it's current form, maybe if you could somehow integrate it behind the side cover, that way it doesn't really block the paint, just the engine.
Nothing is wrong with your bike. It's just tuned better for Summer riding and doesn't get so hot. The AFR on your bike is probably somewhere between 13.5 and 13.8 which is where I have the XC tuned. It doesn't give me this kind of heat either.

This bike just has the basic stage 1 kit and flash with no other tuner installed just like a lot of bikes out there. It's also a California bike so it may be even leaner than what's normal for the other 49 states. My other 04 doesn't get this hot but it also doesn't have the power this one does so there's a trade off going there.

I was looking at that aspect too. When I redesign it I'll see if I can move it forward and make it taller so it's more effective but doesn't block the side panels. Thanks for your input. It definitely helps! That goes for everyone too!

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, moving along with this product development... hope you guys don't mind coming along for the ride...

You can see I cut and riveted some pieces to the original base start piece. Also cut some away from the original to show the side panels a bit more. Bear in mind this is still in the rough stages. Applying the black dye is one of the last stages of production.

I started out using 2 rivets then realized I had them in the wrong spot and then it occurred to me to use just one rivet so I can adjust it to the best spot and then mark it. I'll use this same pre-production piece to see about making at least one for the XC.

A shot without the seat. I saw that I needed to cut out a couple of pieces for the seat's rubber post to sit on the frame so it would go on easier. Again; this is a rough cut.

Applying water to the leather softens it so it will mold where I want it too. It's also the reason I will want to use some water protection on it in the last stage of production.

You can see there's almost a "V" pattern happening. When I get to the final cut there will be a Victory V there to match up with the cheese wedge. I don't have any plans to do any tooling on these at this time but one never knows what the future may hold for it. Might make for a nice Christmas gift if I pretty them enough. :D

Once I'm sure I have a good pattern I can start making them and use this piece to start on a pattern for the XC for Okie. :).

You can see there's more to it than initially meets the eye. Will, Jon, Noe, Mike, and the other Vendors who develop products go through the same trial and error when making their parts unless there are plans drawn up for a machinist to go by or whoever is making the part.

Next phase is to take it for a ride in 113 degree heat to see if it works. I don't mind that part at all. :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
BBob,
Like the way you're going with this.
I sent you a link to check out in a PM.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow, Carefree Wing protectors for my bike:D

Hey look honey...it's the that of the month for my bike!

Guess I've been shopping for the wife too long....

On the serious side, Black, Black, or Black....No, NOT WHITE...I'll take a set and try them!

I've been hounding Kuryakyn to make a set for our bike, and Harley puts them standard on the new bikes. Victory needs to listen about the reviews of heat on the XCT... and make some.

If they come in small.... that would be nice too....thumb up

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Like I said in an earlier post...Bob, I will buy one (Black) for my XCT when you are done testing. I DO (absolutely DO) appreciate the work are doing on this...I am hopeful and glad to see someone grab the BEAST BY THE HORN.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the input guys and I have definitely heard you all say...
BLACK!

Applying the dye is crazy easy and is done in one of the later stages. Now that I have a pretty good pattern; my next pictures should have it dyed so you will have a better idea of how it will look in...
BLACK. :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
what color will it be?make sure it wont scuff that gorgeous
paint on the side covers.-irv

1 - 20 of 57 Posts