Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy... Does anyone have any experience with the Lock n Ride quick-release windshield?

Does it leave much of a "footprint" when removed? Does the smaller size windshield provide decent protection, or does it result in wind buffering at the helmet level?

Thanks for any opinions, I tried searching the forum but didn't see this specifically...

PS - I'm 5'9, and have my Gunner at the stock seat height. Thanks!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Medium "FLY" windscreen- 2014 Judge

The good-

Works pretty well. It's not a Vision fairing- turbulent winds, and vortices from traffic etc will still get to you.

Very sleek, and surprisingly subtle. Doesn't have all those ugly metal bands all over the place. The mounts match the bike well, and if the w/s were off- you probably wouldn't notice them unless I pointed them out.

The bad-

Like all acrylic- the fine scratches don't take long to show. I don't care what you do to care for it. This does not render the w/s useless by any means- just annoying.

The ugly-

Victory's assembly instructions and the fit are piss effing poor. Looks like they were hand drawn by a 8 year old. The ole' HP must have been out of ink, too. To this day- my w/s has been anything BUT lock n ride. I have to lever/ pry the clamps off with a screwdriver, and use pliers to spread them back out to reinstall. On the bright side- damn thing sure isn't coming off unexpectedly.

Now- I am the ONLY ONE I've seen so far with this poorly fitting clamp. I have no explanation for mine, but apparently I'm in the vast minority so I really have no business saying "Don't buy" Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Howdy... Does anyone have any experience with the Lock n Ride quick-release windshield?

Does it leave much of a "footprint" when removed? Does the smaller size windshield provide decent protection, or does it result in wind buffering at the helmet level?

Thanks for any opinions, I tried searching the forum but didn't see this specifically...

If it's anything like the lock and ride backrest/luggage rack, I wouldn't let my wife or kids sit on it.
Vic is really starting to scare me with their accessories.cheers

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have removed and installed my lock and ride backrest a few times and it has caused my stock seat to start separating at the seams.
I sure am glad that the Vic accessories are so cheap and affordable.
On a side note, they never create issues with items that have been installed previously:ltr:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got the tall lock & ride windshield on my BW. I'm 6'2" and i got an unrideable amount of turbulence coming from under the shield, instant headache at 60kmph let alone 100.

I found a generic set of lowers that works pretty well but i still get turbulence on the top of my helmet & on my arms. The benefits outweigh it at the moment as it removes the pressure from your chest (typically exacerbated by the wide handlebars). and i've done a 6000km trip with it, bit of wind noise when it's particularly windy but otherwise it does its job.

Mounts are pretty sturdy and blend in well but have zero adjustability with my lowers on unless i relocate my indicators (which i will do soon). The windshield clips on very quickly and locks in. I will eventually try one of those laminar lips to see if i can get zero turbulence on the top of my helmet.

I did manage to damage the chrome slightly when installing the brackets & they've started to corrode, but that was my own fault. it also provides suprisingly good rain protection!

The assembly instructions aren't that good, Just make sure the brackets line up so the windshield clips in/out easily & is straight!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the tall lock & ride windshield on my BW. I'm 6'2" and i got an unrideable amount of turbulence coming from under the shield, instant headache at 60kmph let alone 100.

I found a generic set of lowers that works pretty well but i still get turbulence on the top of my helmet & on my arms. The benefits outweigh it at the moment as it removes the pressure from your chest (typically exacerbated by the wide handlebars). and i've done a 6000km trip with it, bit of wind noise when it's particularly windy but otherwise it does its job.

Mounts are pretty sturdy and blend in well but have zero adjustability with my lowers on unless i relocate my indicators (which i will do soon). The windshield clips on very quickly and locks in. I will eventually try one of those laminar lips to see if i can get zero turbulence on the top of my helmet.

I did manage to damage the chrome slightly when installing the brackets & they've started to corrode, but that was my own fault. it also provides suprisingly good rain protection!

The assembly instructions aren't that good, Just make sure the brackets line up so the windshield clips in/out easily & is straight!
Thank you all, I appreciate all of the valuable opinions!

I wonder about a fly screen for the Gunner, something just enough to take off some of the wind blast at chest level?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thank you all, I appreciate all of the valuable opinions!

I wonder about a fly screen for the Gunner, something just enough to take off some of the wind blast at chest level?

It should suffice just fine for that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should suffice just fine for that.
Oh I meant a permanent flyscreen, instead of Vic's lock n ride windshield, given the mixed reviews here for the latter.

Does anyone know of someone who has affixed a flyscreen to their Vic cruiser? I have one on my Triumph, and it sorts out just fine for that type of bike. But not sure how that would look on a clean, "naked" cruiser like the Gunner.

Google image search gave me a mishmash of unattractive options lol.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had the lock n ride windshield on my KP. Rode it for a year and a half before trading up. I don't have anything negative to say about it at all. The wind difference with it or without it is night and day. It was very easy to remove using the supplied key and just as easy to install. It would literally take less than a minute to do either. It was sturdy and held up to speeds over 100 mph. Never had little scratches in it either. If you just start wiping at the bug guts with a rag, sure it'll happen. I always let my bug guts soak for a bit to soften them up before trying to clean them off. I bought a bug gut cleaner to spray on it before washing which really helped. 1-1/2 years later @ 17,500ish miles, my lock n ride windshield was still in new condition.

That being said, you'll never keep all the wind from getting to you. It's a motorcycle man! lol I don't care how big of windshield with lowers and mids...you're still going to get the wind. But it did help and I never regretted the purchase.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That being said, you'll never keep all the wind from getting to you. It's a motorcycle man! lol I don't care how big of windshield with lowers and mids...you're still going to get the wind. But it did help and I never regretted the purchase.
Oh I'm not a'scared of wind, lol.

I'm just getting a lot more "wind blast" at the chest and head level than I'm used to from my other/past bikes, especially when I'm going way-too-fast ;)

So just appreciating some input on alleviating a little of that... cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put the mid rise lock and ride on my Gunner. The instructions suck but after an hour I got it mounted. I cut it down 3 inch's because I hate to look through one, I am 5'9". I do get quite a lot of buffering behind semi's but very little helmet buffering. It comes off and on quite easily in less then a minute. Over priced though. I had a similar one on my Harley and the docking clamps on theirs is much better and leaves nothing behind. If the Gunners forks were the same size I would use HD clamps on this windshield.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

I have a L&R Medium Fly Screen on my Judge. I only use it on longer trips and when it is off, the brackets are unobtrusive and hardly noticeable. It works well for me and my situation but unfortunately, YMMV. The spring clips are tight but I don't need to use a screw driver to remove or install but I will have a glove on my hand when removing, due to the pressure exerted on my finger. It is quick to install and remove. I treat the shield with Rejex and water beads nicely and bugs are easy to clean off.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
If it's anything like the lock and ride backrest/luggage rack, I wouldn't let my wife or kids sit on it.
Vic is really starting to scare me with their accessories.cheers
I haven't seen the L&R backrest for the CC but the one that I have on my Judge is sturdy and well made and I have no qualms about anyone utilizing it. It is quick to install and remove and locks on securely. Mine doesn't get anywhere near the seat so no issues with splitting seams!

Cheers

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah- this thread is not about the backrest, but same here. My backrest seems to be very solid, and it is very easy to attach & remove.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the Lock & Ride mid-height windshield from Victory. I'm 5'10" and it works just fine for me. I don't get a lot of buffeting at any speed. I can see over the top and when I take it off all that's left is the small brackets on the forks. I searched eBay for awhile and got a great deal. I wasn't going to drop $500+ on everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
2011 vegas

My 2011 vegas came with the 30"tall lock n ride windshield. The problem I am having is that I get buffeting around my helmet at low and high speeds. I am considering the purchase of Rifle classic lowers to help with the air coming from around the tank. Do lowers help with this issue? I also am considering to have my windshield cut down so I can look over it but not sure if that will help with the buffeting. Has anyone cut down their lock n ride windshield and has it helped with the buffeting?

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts